"Suite" passengers anecdotes...

Cashew14

I am often amused by the assertion that booking a deluxe suite or the penthouse is some sort of accomplishment. Anyone can do this. All that is required is the willingness to pay the price.

igraf

THANK YOU !!

As another poster said, I have never heard anyone on board mentioning their suite in every sentence, but maybe that is just because they don't come down to the same areas of the ship as us commoners. But I enjoy reading the ludicrous whining they often do in these boards. I know most suite travelers don't choose them for bragging purposes, but the vocal few cast a bad light on everyone.

I'm with both of you ladies, we have never talk to other passengers about what cabin we have or others passengers have.

I think when it is mentioned on the Boards, it is because it is about an issue with suites. In anwereing the post people want to assure the original poster that we have a background in Suites to show we know what we are talking about and nothing else. Certainly not to brag.

^^ that.

When we get accused all the time of mentioning we sail in suites, those who wish to be fair would notice we only make mention of our choice of cabin when it is pertinent to the question asked, the conversation on going. I don't know anyone who gratuitously tosses it out for no pertinent reason.

When being critical, be sure you're being fair!

Being unfair to others may, IMO, be even worse than being a braggard.

Edited by sail7seas

Lol Wake....I have seen on a couple of occasions too when people charged to the front of the queue when we arrived on the islands, they wanted to get off the ship first waving their suite room key. It really does not stop amazing me how some people behave. :)

What is the difference in the keys that would make them stand out to the people manning the tender(or door?)

I don't recall any sign of bad behavior by anyone. But I sure will pay more attention next time; could be better than the evening show!

What is the difference in the keys that would make them stand out to the people manning the tender(or door?)

I don't recall any sign of bad behavior by anyone. But I sure will pay more attention next time; could be better than the evening show!

I can remember when we sailed for the first time on Princess, the room keys actually had different colours. From my recollection I think the keys were either silver or gold. So someone waving their card in the air caught staff's attention. :rolleyes:

I rarely come across odd behaviour too but I think it is hilarious when it happens. :D

We have never experienced any elitist behavior while on board.

But something happened on our last cruise that made me uncomfortable. When we arrived at the port around 10:45 am there was a long line outside. We went to the end and knew the doors would be opening soon. A few minutes later a woman with a loud voice started saying "Are there any suite passenger, any suite passengers in line?" We raised a hand and she came and pulled us out, saying "follow me" as she lead the way and we walked by dozens of people. I found that pretty embarrassing as I don't like to draw that kind of attention, and would have been just as happy waiting with everyone else for the doors to open.

We always stay in either a PS or an SA and never has anyone walked along the waiting lines asking if there were any suite passengers. We wait in line just like everyone else.

Now that I require wheelchair assistance -- I still have to stand in line until the doors open.

Sometimes I get a wheelchair right away -- other times I have to wait until they get one for me.

When we sailed on the Eurodam last year we met another couple at the bar the first night about our ages and we began chatting and agreed to meet up after we had eaten dinner for another drink and some more conversation. That quickly grew into plans to go ashore together the next day, etc. Our week ended up being the 4 of us together quite often sitting out in the sun, taking in a lecture, dining together in the specialty restaurants, etc. Never once did our cabin numbers come up in the conversation nor the type of cabin that either of us was sailing in. On the second to last day they invited us up to their cabin to have a before dinner cocktail in their room vs. the bar we usually met in and we accepted.

They told us their cabin number and I mentally noted that they were on the same deck that we were on but nothing further. We were sailing in a Neptune Suite. Imagine the surprise we got when we arrived at their cabin number that evening only to discover that they were in the Penthouse Suite! They had a lovely spread of appetizers all laid out and what they had learned were our preferred cocktails waiting and it was great to be able to see one of those huge suites and what they have to offer. (I have seen the pictures of course but had never actually been inside one so this was a real treat for me.) Not once in the 5 ½ days that we had been together had they mentioned nor had we mentioned what kind of cabin we were in. We are fortunate enough to be able to sail in the Neptune Suites and we enjoy the space what they have to offer us but we don’t tell anyone we meet or brag about it, etc. It’s nobody else’s business really. (And I can assure you I have never waived my key card so I could get to the front of the line when boarding a tender to go ashore nor have I raced to the front of the line on embarkation day. )

When we sailed on the Eurodam last year we met another couple at the bar the first night about our ages and we began chatting and agreed to meet up after we had eaten dinner for another drink and some more conversation. That quickly grew into plans to go ashore together the next day, etc. Our week ended up being the 4 of us together quite often sitting out in the sun, taking in a lecture, dining together in the specialty restaurants, etc. Never once did our cabin numbers come up in the conversation nor the type of cabin that either of us was sailing in. On the second to last day they invited us up to their cabin to have a before dinner cocktail in their room vs. the bar we usually met in and we accepted.

They told us their cabin number and I mentally noted that they were on the same deck that we were on but nothing further. We were sailing in a Neptune Suite. Imagine the surprise we got when we arrived at their cabin number that evening only to discover that they were in the Penthouse Suite! They had a lovely spread of appetizers all laid out and what they had learned were our preferred cocktails waiting and it was great to be able to see one of those huge suites and what they have to offer. (I have seen the pictures of course but had never actually been inside one so this was a real treat for me.) Not once in the 5 ½ days that we had been together had they mentioned nor had we mentioned what kind of cabin we were in. We are fortunate enough to be able to sail in the Neptune Suites and we enjoy the space what they have to offer us but we don’t tell anyone we meet or brag about it, etc. It’s nobody else’s business really. (And I can assure you I have never waived my key card so I could get to the front of the line when boarding a tender to go ashore nor have I raced to the front of the line on embarkation day. )

That's a very nice story. I don't sail in a suite, but no one we've met on board has ever asked me what kind of cabin we were in.

We very much enjoyed our Neptune suite on our Baltic cruise in 2011. I didn't realize that it was considered rude to share the amenities of this category with friends met onboard. We hosted two sail always, and also visited a lanai category for a third , which we were very interested in, since we will book this category when DH and I travel without our usual travel companion (DBIL ). I didn't feel any discomfort at any time, and although there was a natural curiosity by our table mates , the topic didn't come up very often. There seemed to be little or no snobbery about this category on this vacation. We will enjoy the AK cruisetour in 2014, in this same category, and will not feel any need to apologize for the additional perks,

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm not sure if it's rude to share the amenities, unless I'm misunderstanding you. We hosted a pre-dinner appetizer and wine meet-up for a couple from our roll call. Nobody asked who was going to be eating, we just asked for the appetizers for four people (so clearly they knew it was for more than just us) and they arrived.

When you think about it, the people in the suites are just spending their money differently.

With $10,000 you can do one 21 day cruise in a suite or 4 cruises in an Inside. Both cost $10,000. The person in the suite and the inside spends the same $$$$ just differently.

There is another reality for many of us. Some people are still working full-time and get one chance per year, or less, to take a cruise. Those people want to get the most out of their TIME, rather than the most cruises for their money. We all have different needs and wants and that's a good thing, or many of us would be left out.

THANK YOU !!

As another poster said, I have never heard anyone on board mentioning their suite in every sentence, but maybe that is just because they don't come down to the same areas of the ship as us commoners. But I enjoy reading the ludicrous whining they often do in these boards. I know most suite travelers don't choose them for bragging purposes, but the vocal few cast a bad light on everyone.

LOVE-It-heart-Button.jpg.6e8fdf3969e83b29b498800b2e4e24ed.jpg

Joanie

Not to add thorns to the rose bush here but curiosity is killing me cause I really don't know...but suite passengers DO NOT get priority boarding on Hal?

I see they do on other lines and it never crossed my mind cause it was always a different line somewhere away from us.:D

Not to add thorns to the rose bush here but curiosity is killing me cause I really don't know...but suite passengers DO NOT get priority boarding on Hal?

I see they do on other lines and it never crossed my mind cause it was always a different line somewhere away from us.:D

Yes they do - but assuming the other posts were in regards to FLL - it gets a bit confusing there at times - sometimes a person with a sign - sometimes if it's there it's hard to see.

But yes, suite passengers get priority boarding along with 4* and 5* mariners.

(that can be a LOT of people on some cruises:D)

We did last year. That's when it hit me that we were in for a different experience than we had had before. We arrived at the cruise terminal after a 14 hour flight (yes, we flew in the same day) and then the obligatory "free" bus tour of Sydney because it was too early to get to the ship and once inside I saw the sign that said "Suite Passengers" next to the line of passengers checking in. I gathered up Mom and we got into that (empty) line, went around everyone, and right up to the desk. We were on the ship in minutes! Honestly, that, unlimited free laundry, and breakfast in the Pinnacle, were worth the price of admission.

THANK YOU !!

With the exception of the Neptune Lounge, which is small and windowless, all passengers use all areas of the ship so I really don't understand your point.

[quote name='MermaidWatcher'][COLOR=red]THANK YOU !![/COLOR]
[COLOR=red] As another poster said, I have never heard anyone on board mentioning their suite in every sentence, but maybe that is just because they don't come down to the same areas of the ship as us commoners. But I enjoy reading the ludicrous whining they often do in these boards. I know most suite travelers don't choose them for bragging purposes, but the vocal few cast a bad light on everyone.[/COLOR][/quote]

While I [I]have [/I]seen posters continually mention that they sail in suites, and aft wraps, I honestly don't remember too many of them doing any ludicrous whining about HAL. And they all have to use the same areas of the ship. Outside of their cabin - and apart from the Neptune Lounge - they just have to mix with the rest of the steerage folk:D

This will be our first cruise, well cruisetour on HAL. On RCCL we are happy with a balcony cabin for a 7 day or less cruise. We are farmers and used to wide open spaces and I don't think I could do an inside cabin. The first thing I do when I wake up is open the curtains and walk out on the balcony. Over the years we have met people that cruise monthly or cruise way, way, way more than we do and I don't know how many would say they always book and inside cabin because they are never in their room. We enjoy our room and balcony. If we are on a longer cruise we want a larger room. We also enjoy having breakfast in our room or on the balcony. We have stayed in Jr. suites, Grand suites, Owners suites and a Crown Loft suite and several of those were upgrades.

I don't guess I have ever met a suite snob, or I guess I didn't know it! I could care less what kind of cabin anyone stays in! I'm on vacation!

[B]We have never asked anyone we've met/sat with on a ship what type of cabin they had or mentioned that we were in a suite...and I agree that this would be very rude.

However, I DO often mention on CC posts that we've booked a suite: mostly where we have a question about amenities, etc and sometimes where it is pertinent to the comments. I don't see that as objectionable or bragging, merely informational.

Consider that MOST posts DO mention the type of cabin reserved! No one is complaining about all those "bragging" about having a balcony or an OV or an aft...so let's not let this become another negative thread PLEASE.:o

As to priority tendering and boarding, those ARE HAL suite perks and, without being obnoxious, the suite passengers are totally entitled to them.:rolleyes:

[/B]

[quote name='Lovely other']What's steerage ? It's not a term I've come across before.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]
The steerage area of the ship was once used to accommodate passengers travelling on the cheapest class of ticket, and offered only the most basic amenities, typically with limited toilet use, no privacy, and poor food. Many immigrants to the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century travelled in this area of the ships. The name "steerage" came from the fact that the control lines of the rudder ran on this level of the ship.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Back in the heyday of ocean liners, where passengers were divided into classes, the lowest class of accommodation was steerage. Second class passengers could not enter first class areas, third class could not enter first or second and so on. Steerage passengers were stuck in the bowels of the ship.

[quote name='Lovely other']What's steerage ? It's not a term I've come across before.[/quote]

The posters above have already explained the origin. The word is now used flippantly to describe everyone other than suite passengers.:D