"Suite" passengers anecdotes...

Cashew14

[quote name='sapper1']They obviously didn't know you were a first class sort of guy. :D:D
I'm still waiting for FB pictures of that new house. :)[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me????? at 6 months N was already trying to kiss the gals!!!!!!!!;)

"Because they CAN!" sort of thing. On a VERY long cruise; I've forgotten if it was World or ASia/Pacific "Grand" -a couple preparing to disembark was packing a RECLINER chair from their home that they had shipped for this longish cruise [more than 70 days] Someone asked HOW he could DO that??? And his comment was "Well- Next year we're shipping 2!!!!!!!" If I remember correctly [?] Suites could send any number of packed items/boxes [ and I worried about shoes and blouses!] :)
Anne

[quote name='ANSalberg']I'm sure you do! Where are you cruising this year? We're doing Asia/Pacific/Amsterdam in about a month! And how is Hubby!????[/QUOTE]

We did 31 days on the Prinsendam in May/June so there will be nothing more until next April.
Ken doing great.
Enjoy your cruise. We would love that but the long flights would be too much. I don't know if we will even try Europe again. Maybe.

We didn't have "priority" boarding in Dover last month, although we were given a different colour of keycard. We sat and waited, as we usually do when not in a Neptune suite, and we figured that that priority stuff had been discontinued. We had one tender port, and when we wanted to go ashore we went down to the Showroom at Sea to get our tender tickets, and were immediately told we should just go directly to the gangway - we had "Priority"! When we reached the gangway, a crew member told us to go to the Showroom and get tender tickets. We said we had been there and were told we could leave whenever we wanted, so she let us through, but not too happily. We really weren't holding anyone up, as all the tours had already gone, but I guess not everyone knows about this priority stuff! Just saying...:)

[quote name='Vict0riann']We didn't have "priority" boarding in Dover last month, although we were given a different colour of keycard. We sat and waited, as we usually do when not in a Neptune suite, and we figured that that priority stuff had been discontinued. We had one tender port, and when we wanted to go ashore we went down to the Showroom at Sea to get our tender tickets, and were immediately told we should just go directly to the gangway - we had "Priority"! When we reached the gangway, a crew member told us to go to the Showroom and get tender tickets. We said we had been there and were told we could leave whenever we wanted, so she let us through, but not too happily. We really weren't holding anyone up, as all the tours had already gone, but I guess not everyone knows about this priority stuff! Just saying...:)[/QUOTE]

They have no idea what they are doing when it comes to that.

[quote name='sapper1']We did 31 days on the Prinsendam in May/June so there will be nothing more until next April.
Ken doing great.
Enjoy your cruise. We would love that but the long flights would be too much. I don't know if we will even try Europe again. Maybe.[/QUOTE]

This one cruise to/from Southern California [which is why we cruise this way] It's also why its so much longer [ and -in some ways more leisurely] but we have REALLY enjoyed them. "Amsterdam" not the Nieuw Amsterdam [darn] And it has been a HUGE learning experience as well as "Vacation" .
SO many people ask "WHY do you cruise/Will "I" like cruising" -I think TOTALLY impossible questions to ANSWER. #1 EACH cruise is different no matter HOW long/short #2 Each itinerary determines so many different things [days at-sea , clientel , society at BOTH[ cruising/visited] etc - SO varied....
Glad to hear Ken is doing well! XXXXXX A

[quote name='Topsham']
Steerage passenger then proceed to tell the whole lot of us (all Suite passengers BTW) that we did not who who our fathers were and ranted and raved for several minutes using language... a lot of three and four letter words that would make a stevedore blush!

[/QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with a cruise, but your comment reminded me of a chemistry professor I had in college. It was a large freshman class in a large auditorium. It was a nice day, but the air wasn't working, so he had opend the door that led outside, which also happened to open onto a short drive to the parking lot. Apparently, someone had parked his motorcycle there and had started it just a short distance from our open door. He revved and revved and revved the motorcycle so that we could not hear the professor, even though he was using a microphone. Just about the time the motorcyclist drove away, the professor yelled out the door, "You're father was a bachelor!" No other colorful language followed, but I laughed out loud. I'm still not sure many of the other students quite understood his insult.

• 3 months later...
Okay, so this whole "are suite passengers privileged?" discussion reminds me of a situation I worked in many years ago.

While working in customer service for a major airline in San Diego, we had a mechanical problem that meant the flight was cancelled. This is long before the internet and the passenger line was long- and I mean really long with only two agents working it.

This one gentleman started pushing his way forward to the front of the line yelling "I'm a doctor-- I'm a doctor!" The agent he pushed his way into said "excuse me sir-- but we have a line. His response was "I'm a doctor!" The agent then stood up as tall as possible and announced to all the folks in line "anyone here need a doctor?" When he got no response he told this gentleman "fortunately, doctor, except for being as inconvenienced as your are-- everyone here feels fine and doesn't need a doctor. Please go back to your place in line." As they say- priceless.

[quote name='holomuku']Okay, so this whole "are suite passengers privileged?" discussion reminds me of a situation I worked in many years ago.

While working in customer service for a major airline in San Diego, we had a mechanical problem that meant the flight was cancelled. This is long before the internet and the passenger line was long- and I mean really long with only two agents working it.

This one gentleman started pushing his way forward to the front of the line yelling "I'm a doctor-- I'm a doctor!" The agent he pushed his way into said "excuse me sir-- but we have a line. His response was "I'm a doctor!" The agent then stood up as tall as possible and announced to all the folks in line "anyone here need a doctor?" When he got no response he told this gentleman "fortunately, doctor, except for being as inconvenienced as your are-- everyone here feels fine and doesn't need a doctor. Please go back to your place in line." As they say- priceless.[/QUOTE]

Another version I've heard...

There was a long line at an airport check in when a passenger pushed his way to the front counter and demanded to be immediately checked in. The airline rep politely said he would have to wait his turn in line like everyone else. He said "Don't you know who I am?". The rep then announced over the loudspeaker, "We have a gentleman here who doesn't know who he is. If anyone can tell him who he is he would appreciate it."

The passenger, even more upset, said to the airline rep, "Well, f you." The airline rep replied, "Well sir, you will have to wait in line for that, too." :)

We have cruised for years, rarely see folks behaving badly. Guess we are lucky.

We have had a suite a couple of time, got a free up grade both times, once on HAL and once on Celebrity. We enjoyed both suites a lot. We even invited staff for cocktails when we were on Celebrity. They loved it.

Was in LAX and in a huge line to check in when Lou Ferrigmo (the Incredible Hulk actor) came in and immediately went to the front of the line. The agent who was directing people calmly asked him to take his place in line. He did the 'don't you know who I am' line and she calmly said "yes I do sir so please take your place in line". He came back with 'I can get you fired" and she acknowledged this and again calmly asked him to take his place in line. As he was storming off she said to him "and please sir, do not go all green on me". The entire line laughed and applauded her - and he left the terminal!

[quote name='iancal']Have to agree with you. We were 'upgraded' to a suite once. We thought it would be wonderful. We fully expected a suite, as in what a hotel would refer to as a suite.

Well, it did not meet our expectations. It was simply a slightly larger verandah cabin with some perks that we could take or leave. It did not sell us on suites. Actually quite the opposite. It confirmed our decision to stick with a verandah cabin. But, we do not entertain in our cabin as some do.[/quote]

Yes, and unfortunately, many hotel chains are now using the "suite " designation for a larger room with a designated seating area.

[quote name='whogo']I never hear anyone mention their suite onboard; on Cruise Critic it is a constant. I respect anyone that can attend Harvard, have a second home, or stay in a suite without mentioning it to me.[/QUOTE]

My [I]daughter[/I] went to Cornell, my [I]sister[/I] has a cottage on the lake, and I [I]know [/I]people who have stayed in a suite. Does that count;)

[quote name='nana51']My [I]daughter[/I] went to Cornell, my [I]sister[/I] has a cottage on the lake, and I [I]know [/I]people who have stayed in a suite. Does that count;)[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Love your humor :D[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='sapper1']It's a very rare occasion that I know where someone's cabin is unless we happen to be sailing together. Reading on this forum you would think it was a hot issue onboard. It really isn't.[/QUOTE]

Onboard, I think most people play it down. We have never met anyone onboard who mentioned they were in a suite. I remember seeing a couple from our rollcall walk out of one on Prinsendam, and I was floored. Actually, I was impressed.

Contrary to what others have said, I have never gotten the feeling here that people who sail only in suites intentionally brag about it. I think they like to talk about it here, because they certainly aren't going to do it on the ship. And here, they can discuss it with other suite passengers.

We are normally in steerage, but have our first verandah on Prinsendam. Next cruise.....we need to book very early because hopefully it will be a suite. Life is short!

[quote name='LindaM']Onboard, I think most people play it down. We have never met anyone onboard who mentioned they were in a suite. I remember seeing a couple from our rollcall walk out of one on Prinsendam, and I was floored. Actually, I was impressed.

Contrary to what others have said, I have never gotten the feeling here that people who sail only in suites intentionally brag about it. I think they like to talk about it here, because they certainly aren't going to do it on the ship. And here, they can discuss it with other suite passengers.

We are normally in steerage, but have our first verandah on Prinsendam. Next cruise.....we need to book very early because hopefully it will be a suite. Life is short![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I tend to agree with you, Linda, about people on here seldom "bragging" about being in a suite. There are only one or two people who continually mention it in their posts, along with how many days or cruises they have. Mostly people seldom mention what kind of cabin they book. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I love the threads where we are cheering for someone who got an upgrade to a suite - having been one of those people this year.:D[/SIZE][/FONT]

We are very happy to be on the ship and really could care less who is in what cabin.

Besides, what is the big deal about a suite. Come back and talk to me about the penthouse or the owner's suite!

Just a question of priorities...where and how one wants to spend money.

[quote name='startwin'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I tend to agree with you, Linda, about people on here seldom "bragging" about being in a suite. There are only one or two people who continually mention it in their posts, along with how many days or cruises they have. Mostly people seldom mention what kind of cabin they book. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I love the threads where we are cheering for someone who got an upgrade to a suite - having been one of those people this year.:D[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You are so right about that! I can certainly attest. People on the HAL boards are fabulous cheerleaders for the good and well-being of others! And you are one of them!:D

[quote name='boards']AWWWWwww - okay - we will make the best of it. One thing that is good about it is I convinced DW to book a veranda cabin - DW is a little concerned about being on balconies, so I am hoping for really good weather.[/quote]

Funny. My wife only wants to be on a balcony. Says she wants to be able to get off quickly if the ship starts to sink.