We had the Drink Pkg on Oasis-Review

kimann

So we had the Premium Drink Pkg on Oasis last week and I researched it on this board so much before we left I thought someone might like some feedback from us.

1) Was is worth it? Totally subjective. I am sure we didn't drink enough to break even on 2 of the days but we were close to over on all the others. The benefit as others have said was the mental release to try new things and not have to worry about paying for each drink. We purchased the package online and I loved not having all those extra drink charges on the setsail account.

2) Can you have Red Bull on the pkg? Not any where we found on Oasis. I thought this would be a deal breaker, but really it wasn't. There were so many other things to try. I would encourage you to get your hands on a drink menu the first day and start shopping :)

3) Did we sign receipts? Suprisingly most of the time we didn't. The pool waiter said they only bring them if you ask (which I did so I could tip him extra). I could buy additional drinks for my kids on my card and request to pay for them. Did that several places and had no problems or confusion (and I did have to sign then). The only place that's different is the Promenade in the bar by the pizza place. It's electronic and you had to sign the machine.

4) Did we miss having the soda cups for the freestyle machines? Another surprise for me-No we didn't. The bar soda was fine and the cups were plenty big, not those tiny ones they used to have. My 20 something kids had the soda pkg and they didn't really use the machines that much either...

5) Wine? We had a choice of St. Martin Cab, Merlot, Chardonnay, a white zin of some kind and a sparkling. Husband tried the Merlot and said it was drinkable. We ate at Park 150 and he got the wine pairing which bugged me because I had already paid for the drink pkg, but it was wonderful, so worth the $75. They did tell us that they are a "special" restaurant and didn't carry the house wine, but I didn't have any trouble getting my Grey Goose Cosmos with the pkg there. No problem at all getting house wine and cocktails at Giovanni's or Chops.

6) Was service any different? Not a single bit and we didn't ever wait on a cocktail.

7) Will we do it again? Yes, I'm pretty sure we will.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Kim

I don't drink enough to have this benefit me,9 about two drinks a day, and not every day) but I have friends that do enjoy a cocktail, glass of wine or too, beer during the day, and I will pass this information on. Thanks.

Great information. Thank you for posting.

We are probably going to get the package on our Oasis cruise. The one question I can think of right now has to do with getting drinks out by the pool. Was it good service, meaning did you have a specific server(s) that checked in with you on a regular basis and were ready to bring you another drink once they noticed you were done with your last one? We plan on spending most of our days by the pool and feel we may actually save some money off of our bar tab by purchasing the package.

Oh, and did you buy it online before you left or once you got on the ship and did you see any advantage or disadvantge to either way?

Hope you had a great cruise.

Great information. Thank you for posting.

We are probably going to get the package on our Oasis cruise. The one question I can think of right now has to do with getting drinks out by the pool. Was it good service' date=' meaning did you have a specific server(s) that checked in with you on a regular basis and were ready to bring you another drink once they noticed you were done with your last one? We plan on spending most of our days by the pool and feel we may actually save some money off of our bar tab by purchasing the package.

Oh, and did you buy it online before you left or once you got on the ship and did you see any advantage or disadvantge to either way?

Hope you had a great cruise.[/quote']

The servers seemed to have zones at the pools. We were on the 3rd level of lounge chairs and there was a server walking by every 2-3 minutes asking if we needed drinks. At the solarium we had the same server and he came and checked on us every 5 minutes or so which worked fine for us.

I purchased online. The sticker was on our cards when we got them at the terminal. If I had onboard credit I would wait because you can use that towards the pkg.

Thank you for the information.

Did you always tip extra?

No, I didn't. I had a bartender in Central Park I liked and tipped him every time and we would tip if we were there for more than 1 round to others or if they were really nice. I usually bring dollar bills with us and would tip an extra $2 in cash.

On my last RC cruise, I spoke to a server and was told when you add an additional tip on a receipt the server does not receive the money right away. Tips are paid in a lump sum check. I can not remember if this is weekly or monthly but the server said when receiving a lump sum check it's hard to tell if you are getting all your tips.

I've also heard that "additional tip" added to receipts is put into a "pool" and divided among all the servers. I'm not sure, which is true or both but either way if you like the service of a particular server a cash tip is probably the best way.

Few quick questions:

1) About how many drinks do you think you had on the days you broke even?

2) Was any kind of champange included?

3) You recommened getting you hands on a drink menu, is there a good location that you remember where you got one and could just keep it?

Thanks!

What was your favorite? I did end up getting the mango lava flow (vodka, not rum) and it was wonderful!

Just FYI - The bartender we went to almost exclusively the whole cruise on the Oasis said the built-in gratuity that's on the bill is split among all the bartenders and any extra you write in goes directly to that bartender who served you. He said the bartenders change locations every 2 weeks and sometimes your location is not very public so if they didn't split the built-in gratuity they wouldn't get any tips for those 2 weeks. He also said that the servers who come around at the pool or entertainment venues get all of both tips, the built-in gratuity and any additional.

Hi, is there a FAQ or quick reference page for the drinks package?

Also, do both guests have to buy the package? My better half may have two drinks...the entire cruise.

Here's a flyer:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/12032090_Beverage_Package_Flyer_FAQ.pdf

Current rules say everyone of drinking age in the same stateroom must purchase the package.

How many drinks a day would be the break even point? I haven't sailed on Royal Caribbean for a long time and I definitely was not 21 the last time I sailed with Royal, so I'm not sure what the prices are like for drinks.

Drinks typically run about $5-6 for beer, $9 for house wine, $6-$11 for cocktails.

shipcruise's publish of menu

Thanks for the info! So how did it work when the servers had trays full of drinks in the souvenir glasses and the after dinner shots in the special shot glasses! We are getting the package for our upcoming cruise and don't want the souvenir glasses.

The only time I saw the trays full of drinks was on the promenade during embarkation and servers walking around the pool. I bought two for the kids and she made a point to tell me that I couldn't use my pkg, which was no problem because I already had a drink in my hand from the pub. At the pool, there were at least three times as many regular bar servers as the guys with drinks on a tray. Just catch one of them and tell them you want what is on the tray without the glass.

The bar waiter is the one that walks by with the after dinner shots. I had no problem having him go get me one in a regular glass. And once they get to know you they might even start bringing them without being asked.

Few quick questions:

1) About how many drinks do you think you had on the days you broke even?

2) Was any kind of champange included?

3) You recommened getting you hands on a drink menu, is there a good location that you remember where you got one and could just keep it?

Thanks!

1) Here's a typical day for me. 4-5 Grey Goose/Cranberry or fruity vodka drinks at the pool or wherever from 11-3. 2 Grey Goose Cosmos at dinner. 1 or 2 Grey Goose/Cranberrys at the show and a White Russian on the way to the cabin at night. Plus, I'm a diet coke addict and I had 4 or so of those a day too. For the husband sub Capt Morgan or Makers Mark and Frozen Mojitos for all of the vodka that I drank :)

Clearly the days we didn't break even were Cozumel and Jamaica port days.

2) Yes there was a sparkling wine included but I didn't try it. There were also variations with juices that I kept meaning to try and forgot.

3) You can find the menu at the pool bars, the central park bar, viking crown lounge. You can't take them with you. However, we did take a picture of the menu for the ones we liked...

What was your favorite? I did end up getting the mango lava flow (vodka, not rum) and it was wonderful!

Just FYI - The bartender we went to almost exclusively the whole cruise on the Oasis said the built-in gratuity that's on the bill is split among all the bartenders and any extra you write in goes directly to that bartender who served you. He said the bartenders change locations every 2 weeks and sometimes your location is not very public so if they didn't split the built-in gratuity they wouldn't get any tips for those 2 weeks. He also said that the servers who come around at the pool or entertainment venues get all of both tips, the built-in gratuity and any additional.

Hey Jen! I'm so glad you tried that drink. I tried it too with vodka after we saw it.

I think my favorite was some Sunshine ???? that is on the drink menu with vodka, peach schnapps, some kind of juices and soda. I also tried Allan's frozen mojito and it was really good and I don't like rum. They use fresh mint in the frozen ones too.

Miss you and our daily chats :)

Hi all. here's a drinks menu. im on the Liverty in 3 weeks & definitely adding the package. Apparently it's better if I do it online pre cruise as Spanish tax will be added onboard as well be in Barcelona. unless somebody can elaborate?

http://www.shipcruise.org/royal-caribbean-alcohol-policy-drink-prices/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We purchased the premium package for our 4 day cruise on the Enchantment Sep 2. Before buying, I emailed rccl and they responded with a list of the beers, wines, and spirits that are included. I was leaning towards it before but sold after seeing the list included single malt scotches (my evening drink) like macallan and glenlivet. This is a no-brainier for us as the only port days on this trip are Coco Cay and Nassau. We've been to Nassau too many times so will spend most of that say on board and as for Coco, drinks are included on the plan (without the souvenir cups but who cares). Nice to not get that big surprise bill on the last day as well. An afterthought regarding tips. Our son used to be in the show cast on Pride of America and another ship no longer sailing. He told us then that servers could keep all cash tips but anything on your card is split. I always try to keep some singles on me and add one per drink. A lot of these people are supporting families back home (and I've always had geez service).

Archived