Had a really GREAT customer service experience?

QueenAdelaide

Boats, Trains, Planes ... things go wrong. We never consider that it will happen to us (til it does!). I am looking for a service cruise provider that really looks after its passengers if something goes wrong. Sometimes when we are well treated the positive message does not make it to the message boards.

Having just experienced a very negative customer service experience, I am looking for a new cruise provider.

Has anyone had a big disappointment, or better still, a disaster, that has been really well handled. I'd value that information over the size of the pool or the price of the wine.

Unfortunately,,, When you agreed to the terms and conditions of this board when you first signed up,,, You agreed that you would NOT discuss or talk about any 3rd party cruise providers or travel agents by name.

I believe Queen Adelaide is actually asking for recommendations for cruise lines that have provided exemplary service in difficult circumstances. Am I correct, QA?

I don't have any dramatic stories, but when I traveled with my elderly and wheelchair-bound father on a cruise on Celebrity (back when the Mercury was still in service), every one of the crew treated him very well, and was very kind to him.

We were on a Princess cruise that was very severely hit with the noro virus. Others who were on our sailing might disagree but we were very pleased with the way it was handled.

Embarkation was delayed until late evening and we were given $$ credit toward food. Then we had to skip the private island stop and were given $50.

On the morning of Day 5 the captain made the decision to turn the ship around and head home. So we basically had a cruise to nowhere.

Princess flew us home on their dime. We got 100% of our cruise fare refunded (less tips and believe me, that crew earned every penny). We also got 25% off a future cruise.

Princess handled it all quite to our satisfaction. Was it ideal and perfect? No. And we heard people saying they should be reimbursed for lost time off work, fees to board their dogs . . . Pain and suffering from just the fear of getting sick.

Can't please everyone, I guess.

:)

Most people that come here looking for a provider are looking for a travel agent, which we are not allowed to discuss.

Now, for the cruise lines I have sailed on, I have not had any issues with service.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have a great travel agent (I am in Australia) and I am (obviously!) a newbie. I have only done one cruise (May this year) - loved the cruise concept but had a very bad experience with the cruise line.

Most people post when they have had a bad experience so I was hoping some people could recommend based on an awsome customer service experience - where things went wrong and the cruise line really looked after its passengers. It must happen?

We were on a Princess cruise that was very severely hit with the noro virus. Others who were on our sailing might disagree but we were very pleased with the way it was handled.

Embarkation was delayed until late evening and we were given $$ credit toward food. Then we had to skip the private island stop and were given $50.

On the morning of Day 5 the captain made the decision to turn the ship around and head home. So we basically had a cruise to nowhere.

Princess flew us home on their dime. We got 100% of our cruise fare refunded (less tips and believe me, that crew earned every penny). We also got 25% off a future cruise.

Princess handled it all quite to our satisfaction. Was it ideal and perfect? No. And we heard people saying they should be reimbursed for lost time off work, fees to board their dogs . . . Pain and suffering from just the fear of getting sick.

Can't please everyone, I guess.

Thanks for that D&L

I would be happy with that. Flew you home (paid by them), 100% refund and 25% off your next cruise - encourage the customer to come back and give them a better experience next time. "Princess" is the cruise line or the name of the ship? That's good service. I would rsik sailing with them feeling they would look aftre me if it all went pear shaped. Thx for posting.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have a great travel agent (I am in Australia) and I am (obviously!) a newbie. I have only done one cruise (May this year) - loved the cruise concept but had a very bad experience with the cruise line.

Most people post when they have had a bad experience so I was hoping some people could recommend based on an awsome customer service experience - where things went wrong and the cruise line really looked after its passengers. It must happen?

Of course everyone will also want to hear your bad customer service story...not that you must share...

I believe Queen Adelaide is actually asking for recommendations for cruise lines that have provided exemplary service in difficult circumstances. Am I correct, QA?

Damn english is hard to understand. LOL

From Australia english, to US english,,,,, lots of differences.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Damn english is hard to understand. LOL

From Australia english, to US english,,,,, lots of differences.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks for the sub-titles 'middle-aged mom'. klfrodo understands the language barriers within the English language and as a 'newbie' I possibly did not frame the question as well a I might have.

I do love a good news story. When we are angry or often, more importantly, just looking for some support or clarity in a mirky situation its easy to bring bad news to the boards. I think great service providers should really be reported more - they are the people/companies I want to deal with.

The bad stories should be exposed as well (with the facts and emotion taken out of them) because as any 'best practice' group knows, reporting worst practice gives you something to avoid.

I don't think any one line can be chosen as good or bad. It all depends on WHO is handling the complaint. Some staff will do everything in their power to help and others can be unhelpful and even rude and condecending. I have had both types on one line, different ships.

Of course everyone will also want to hear your bad customer service story...not that you must share...

Hi SeagoingMom

Yes I was a virgin cruiser and I had a bad experience. I took a lot (lot!!) of advice before making choices. All our travel arrangements and pre and post vacation arrangements were based on a specific Oceania cruise (Rome to Monaco).

I live in Australia and we have a court system that is very much based on taking all of the circumstances into account (otherwise a computer could just issue penalties) so without giving a 30 year history of why I took this cruise, its hard to put it into context - yet I believe that in forums like this, only the facts should be considered, so its hard to tell a story.

We sailed with Oceania in May this year. It was our honeymoon and some difficult circumstances meant Oceania had to make some tough business decisions and some people got burnt - basically us and about 370 other people.

Imagine being stranded without luggage or passport, with infirm people sitting on a terminal floor for hours and having 2 days of a pre-paid cruise (including pre-paid gratuites for services you never got) stolen.

Incident 29 May 2013 - written and electronic communcations ignored until early August when a pithy letter about 'client perspectives' and 'not taking delight in ruining people's vacations' arrived.

So many better ways the incident could have been handled but for once I was not in charge of the solution - I was (along with about 370 others) the problem. The cruise company (Prestige Cruise Holdings) has, inmy opinion, falsified its account of events to avoid the mass impact its operational decisons had on so many people because of the operational costs (supported by multiple enbiased reports on the day).

Because, in essence, the Oceania 'experience' was good - I would like to do it again but just NOT with Oceania. So I thought I would turn to the experienced group and gather some positive experiences because - like parenting - I still think its better to reward positive behaviour. If a company has done something great for you I would like to reward them by giving them my business.

Thats 'the beans' as I know it. Thanks for all the positive stories. I am sure there are more. I really love a story where a company has stepped up and made it right. I'd like to support them.

I don't think any one line can be chosen as good or bad. It all depends on WHO is handling the complaint. Some staff will do everything in their power to help and others can be unhelpful and even rude and condecending. I have had both types on one line, different ships.

Agreed - but (BUT!) if you actually speak to the President of the company I think you can safely say you are speaking to someone who is speaking for everyone from here on down.

Hi SeagoingMom

Yes I was a virgin cruiser and I had a bad experience. I took a lot (lot!!) of advice before making choices. All our travel arrangements and pre and post vacation arrangements were based on a specific Oceania cruise (Rome to Monaco).

I live in Australia and we have a court system that is very much based on taking all of the circumstances into account (otherwise a computer could just issue penalties) so without giving a 30 year history of why I took this cruise, its hard to put it into context - yet I believe that in forums like this, only the facts should be considered, so its hard to tell a story.

We sailed with Oceania in May this year. It was our honeymoon and some difficult circumstances meant Oceania had to make some tough business decisions and some people got burnt - basically us and about 370 other people.

Imagine being stranded without luggage or passport, with infirm people sitting on a terminal floor for hours and having 2 days of a pre-paid cruise (including pre-paid gratuites for services you never got) stolen.

Incident 29 May 2013 - written and electronic communcations ignored until early August when a pithy letter about 'client perspectives' and 'not taking delight in ruining people's vacations' arrived.

So many better ways the incident could have been handled but for once I was not in charge of the solution - I was (along with about 370 others) the problem. The cruise company (Prestige Cruise Holdings) has, inmy opinion, falsified its account of events to avoid the mass impact its operational decisons had on so many people because of the operational costs (supported by multiple enbiased reports on the day).

Because, in essence, the Oceania 'experience' was good - I would like to do it again but just NOT with Oceania. So I thought I would turn to the experienced group and gather some positive experiences because - like parenting - I still think its better to reward positive behaviour. If a company has done something great for you I would like to reward them by giving them my business.

Thats 'the beans' as I know it. Thanks for all the positive stories. I am sure there are more. I really love a story where a company has stepped up and made it right. I'd like to support them.

I am still confused as to what happened. Were you left at an intermediary port inside a terminal? Why? What tough decision did they have to make? Did they decide to abandon 370 persons at a port because they were sick? I think you really need to explain the situation. Does someone have a report of something that impacted this many folks?

Hi SeagoingMom

Thank you for taking the time. You have gotten my attention. Oceania is the very cruise line my in-laws are considering for a pretty expensive European cruise next year. They are not newbies per se, but not very experienced cruisers, either, and have solicited my help in making their plans. I have been keen to find out what I can about Oceania (I have no first hand knowledge of the line.)

I think I might be able to find out on my own a little more about the cruise you refer to. ;)

Thanks for that D&L

I would be happy with that. Flew you home (paid by them), 100% refund and 25% off your next cruise - encourage the customer to come back and give them a better experience next time. "Princess" is the cruise line or the name of the ship? That's good service. I would rsik sailing with them feeling they would look aftre me if it all went pear shaped. Thx for posting.

Princess is the cruise line, we were on the Crown Princess when the ship got sick. We wanted this itinerary because it went to Aruba and Curacao and had several sea days which we love. Our "do-over" was on the Caribbean Princess and it was perfectly lovely.

I myself am a bit pear shaped if that makes a difference. 8-)

I am still confused as to what happened. Were you left at an intermediary port inside a terminal? Why? What tough decision did they have to make? Did they decide to abandon 370 persons at a port because they were sick? I think you really need to explain the situation. Does someone have a report of something that impacted this many folks?

Hi Nola

On the ninth day of a ten day cruise we were scheduled to berth and overnight in Monaco. (That was the big finale. The dinner, the outfit, the liesurely train the next day to Paris. To us it was a big deal.)

On that morning the ship announced it was too rough to dock in Monaco until that afternoon so we anchored in Villefranche (a very deep harbour and beautiful port) and could take a tender boat ashore with the last one returning at 5:30 and we would be docked in port (Monaco) by 7.

Somewhere between 2:30 and 3pm the ship set sail for Genoa and left 370 people in Villefranche. We saw the ship leave (from Eze) and thought it had gone to Monaco early and took a cab to Monaco. When we got to the dock a Port Authority person said the ship had something that needed to be fixed and it had to go to Genoa to get it done. I met some of the guys who manned to tender boats (crew of the Nautica) and asked if the ship had a repair issue and had to go to Genoa and they said "Yes". (That's the terminal where all the people gathered for hours and there was seating for about 15 people.)

Then official Nautica representatives arrived and people started to assemble (hundreds of them) and everyone was told by Oceania the port was closed because of bad weather and everyone would get a $50 credit to buy dinner (there was nowhere to buy dinner) and buses (9 of them) would arrive later that evening to ferry everyone to Genoa and the bus trip would take 3 hours.

On board by 11:30pm, long queues to see the conceirge then back to our room to pack then up at 5am (3 - 4 hours sleep) to be on a bus at 6 to get back to Monaco to get our train to Paris. Our cruise stopped when we got off at 10am on day 9. A passenger told us one of the lifeboats had been damaged in the tender service. I am also told Oceania had a private charter starting the day we disembarked so probably a tight turn around for them. The Italian bus driver dropped us and another couple (complete with bags) in Monaco about 9:30am and pointed down the road. I asked where the railway station was and he basically said "No English" and drove off. Fortunately a local shopkeeper helped us find another local bus to take us to the station and we got our 11am train.

I only got involved because after contacting the company three times I finally got a letter saying 'not our problem' and I Googled the event to see if anyone else had reported the issue or had any response from Oceania. I found a lady in England who had contacted Oceania and got no response so I gave her what info I had. After a real mixed bag of comments in that thread I thought there seems to be a lot of really experienced and savvy people here this would be a good place to get a future recommendation so I asked the question about good service. Its not about who will give you the most in times of trouble - its who cares about the customer for the long term.

Just making sure I am getting this straight.

• MC terminal only has seating for 15 persons
  • No restaurants in all of MC are open beyond 7:30pm
  • Your assumption is that Oceania was fibbing and could easily have docked at MC had it not been for the private charter on the next leg
  • The tender driver had all the latest info as to why a ship stranded 370 persons

I know this all sucks, but part of the COC is that ports can change so it is unfortunate that your last port changed and this port, perceived by you, was the most important and hence your whole trip was ruined. I know I too would be miffed, but I am just curious as to what you believe the carrier should have done for you assuming it was unsafe for them to continue tenders in Villafrenche and there was no room at the MC dock.

You mentioned that the gave you $50 credit, after your emails did you not get anything else? I think it would be helpful to understand what else the cruise line offered.

Would it have been more to your satisfaction that the cruise kept you on board the entire time and then ended your cruise in Genoa and then shuttle you to MC?

Just making sure I am getting this straight.

• MC terminal only has seating for 15 persons
  • No restaurants in all of MC are open beyond 7:30pm
  • Your assumption is that Oceania was fibbing and could easily have docked at MC had it not been for the private charter on the next leg
  • The tender driver had all the latest info as to why a ship stranded 370 persons

I know this all sucks, but part of the COC is that ports can change so it is unfortunate that your last port changed and this port, perceived by you, was the most important and hence your whole trip was ruined. I know I too would be miffed, but I am just curious as to what you believe the carrier should have done for you assuming it was unsafe for them to continue tenders in Villafrenche and there was no room at the MC dock.

You mentioned that the gave you $50 credit, after your emails did you not get anything else? I think it would be helpful to understand what else the cruise line offered.

Would it have been more to your satisfaction that the cruise kept you on board the entire time and then ended your cruise in Genoa and then shuttle you to MC?

Hi Nola

I am sure there were lots of nice restaurants in MC. People started turning up from about 4pm - possibly those who saw the ship leave or those who went back to the tender point and were told the ship had left. The Oceania rep came at about 6pm and said buses were coming for everyone between 7 and 8. So it was sort of drip feed info. A lot of confused people and no one brave enough to venture too far from the coralling point.

It was a long walk back to the main part of the city and there was nothing on the wharf. Well there was a small bar/cafe - called stars and stripes I think - that we walked down to after the rep said the buses would come at about 7 or 8. We'd had no lunch or dinner and even though we did not want to be left behind (again!) we walked quite a way down to that place (10 or more minutes) and it was just overflowing, so we walked back. So we were coralled between 4 - 8, on a bus between 8 - 11, waiting for the conceirge bewteen 11-12, packing our bags etc between 12 - 1, slept a little between 1 - 5 and on a bus again at 6am.

I don't think the port was closed and there was plenty of room at the dock. I think Oceania needed a repair done to make it safe for its next charter and needed to be in Genoa to have it done and it had to decide if it disavantaged the private charter or the current passengers. I am thinking it might be good business to keep on-side a customer who can hire your whole ship, not just a cabin.

Yes the terminal had only seating for about 15 people - a couple of benches. The tender attendants only confirmed what a member of the Monaco Port Authority told me before the Oceania rep arrived.

I have a strong background in customer service at corporate livel (including airlines and high end hotels) so I understand the balancing acts that take place and I am sure it was not an easy day for Oceania but this is their core business. They had stranded passengers - many elderly and some with mobility issues - who had paid for their services, which they withdrew.

I was not expecting my fare refunded, a flight home, payment for angst or ruining my holiday but I think whilst people got a few measly hours of sleep they could have fired up their PCs and printers and given everyone who was stranded a nice letter of apology and asking them to return to Oceania another time and offer them a discount on their next cruise - say 25%. The customer feels heard, their loss acknowledges, the cruise line gets the customer to come back and gets at least 75% of the fare plus all the extras people do on a cruise. If I had been in charge of customer service on that cruise, that would have been my solution.

We received a $50 meal credit. We were ignored for 8 weeks but after a formal written letter to the president, and email to their PR department and an email to the president's PA we received a letter from guest relations (in August) saying they 'regret the difficulties' and 'we do not delight in disrupting [your] vacation enjoyment' - finishing with 'It is our hope that the positive aspects of your cruise will call you to sail with us again'.

Had we not got off and stayed with our ship and missed seeing Monaco, Eze, Nice and Villefranche but been safe and comfortable, seen a little of Genoa, got a good night's sleep and then got bused to Monaco to get our train I would have felt less 'abandoned' but would have still have liked an honest explanation from the cruise line and an acknowledgement that something was missing. Something small - maybe a bottle of wine with dinner and a comment like "We know its not Monaco but we hope you are having a lovely dinner here in Italy". It really doesn't take much to keep folk happy - we are fairly resilient and understanding if not ignored.

It isn't possible to name a cruise line that will take the most dependable care of you when things do not go smoothly. Whenever there are people involved, there are variables. I could tell you stories of when circumstances were handled professionally, smoothly and to our satisfaction on a given ship under the command of a given Captain/Hotel Director and then tell a story of disappointing service on the same ship either under same Captain and Hotel Director or entirely different people.

You are looking for something that, IMO, cannot be promised.

We had a dreadful experience on Carnival the one and only time we booked them but others have had circumstances handled well.

We've had great service on HAL but others have complained they were not satisfied in the same circumstances.

It isn't possible to name a cruise line that will take the most dependable care of you when things do not go smoothly. Whenever there are people involved, there are variables. I could tell you stories of when circumstances were handled professionally, smoothly and to our satisfaction on a given ship under the command of a given Captain/Hotel Director and then tell a story of disappointing service on the same ship either under same Captain and Hotel Director or entirely different people.

You are looking for something that, IMO, cannot be promised.

We had a dreadful experience on Carnival the one and only time we booked them but others have had circumstances handled well.

We've had great service on HAL but others have complained they were not satisfied in the same circumstances.

Valid observations.

I enjoyed the story from the client who sailed on "Princess" - it was awful, YET, people got home, got their fare refunded and offered a chance to sail withthat group again. That's a positive story.

I understand your point that every line has a positive and a negative story based either on a point in time (group ethos) or an event where staff members could be great or not so great.

I still think when a company really goes the extra mile to support their passenger/client, its worth celebrating even if the next day some other influence creates a different scenario.

Yes, of course, a job well done should always be acknowledged and praised.

I could not agree more.

When a ship's crew works in harmony to provide the best possible cruise experience

for their guests, lots of good things result and should be recognized.

Archived