Best Maine Lobster

kruisingKamper

I will be cruising to Maine the first week in September on the Explorer. We will be porting in Bar Harbor and Portland. During one of these stops I would like to get a good Maine lobster. Would you suggest Portland or Bar Harbor, and what restaurant?

On my cruise last September my ship stopped in Portland and my group went to Gilbert's Chowder House. I ordered a lobster and it was the most amazing tasting lobster I have ever had in my life. At the time the lobster prices were very cheap and I only paid $17 for a full lobster with sides.

http://www.gilbertschowderhouse.com/menu1.html

Gilbert's Chowder House is a small casual style restaurant.

For a slightly more formal place in Portland Di Millo's comes recommended (though I have never had it myself). It's more touristy. But get's decent reviews.

http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/

My cruise didn't stop in Bar Harbor so I have no recommendations for there. But I can guarantee you won't have a hard time finding good Maine lobster in either port :D

Other places in Portland are Portland Lobster Company within walking distance and Two Lights lobster a 5 mile cab ride away.

A mile from my house, 5 lobsters cooked for $25. Dinner tonight was delicious! Too bad it's 30 minutes from the port.

On my cruise last September my ship stopped in Portland and my group went to Gilbert's Chowder House. I ordered a lobster and it was the most amazing tasting lobster I have ever had in my life. At the time the lobster prices were very cheap and I only paid $17 for a full lobster with sides.

http://www.gilbertschowderhouse.com/menu1.html

Gilbert's Chowder House is a small casual style restaurant.

For a slightly more formal place in Portland Di Millo's comes recommended (though I have never had it myself). It's more touristy. But get's decent reviews.

http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/

My cruise didn't stop in Bar Harbor so I have no recommendations for there. But I can guarantee you won't have a hard time finding good Maine lobster in either port :D

Agree, DiMillo's in Portland was outstanding but it is a little upscale. In 'Baa Haabor' we ate at the West Street Cafe. Great lobster dishes. Check out the desserts at West Street too. UNBELIEVABLE!

http://weststreetcafe.com/menu-1-1-1/

Agree, DiMillo's in Portland was outstanding but it is a little upscale. In 'Baa Haabor' we ate at the West Street Cafe. Great lobster dishes. Check out the desserts at West Street too. UNBELIEVABLE!

http://weststreetcafe.com/menu-1-1-1/

Thanks for the correction..........it is the West Street Cafe, in Bar Harbor.......not "West End".

Rick

I will be cruising to Maine the first week in September on the Explorer. We will be porting in Bar Harbor and Portland. During one of these stops I would like to get a good Maine lobster. Would you suggest Portland or Bar Harbor, and what restaurant?

Both. After all, you must do a comparison.

:)

I love going to Portland on RCI Port days. It's fun to see all of those cruise guests in port...Anyway...Having eaten at all of those suggested: West St Café in Bar Harbor, Gilberts, Portland Lobster Co & DiMillo's in Portland, I can tell you that if you're having a basic, boiled Maine lobster, it will taste the same everywhere because the cooking method is so simple...boil salt water, toss in Maine lobster. What will vary are the side-dishes. I'd recommend all mentioned except DiMillo's...not because it isn't good...it's a nice restaurant...too nice to don a bib, roll up your sleeves, crack open a steamy hot Maine lobster and dunk it in melted butter:p

If the ship offers a "Lobster Bake" excursion in Bar Harbor, I'd suggest that. On a lobster bake, the lobster is steamed in layers of seaweed on top of super-hot wood fire. It's a unique experience and, as you can imagine, does give the lobster a slightly different taste. Enjoy your Royal Caribbean cruise and your visit to Maine.

I love going to Portland on RCI Port days. It's fun to see all of those cruise guests in port...Anyway...Having eaten at all of those suggested: West St Café in Bar Harbor, Gilberts, Portland Lobster Co & DiMillo's in Portland, I can tell you that if you're having a basic, boiled Maine lobster, it will taste the same everywhere because the cooking method is so simple...boil salt water, toss in Maine lobster. What will vary are the side-dishes. I'd recommend all mentioned except DiMillo's...not because it isn't good...it's a nice restaurant...too nice to don a bib, roll up your sleeves, crack open a steamy hot Maine lobster and dunk it in melted butter:p

If the ship offers a "Lobster Bake" excursion in Bar Harbor, I'd suggest that. On a lobster bake, the lobster is steamed in layers of seaweed on top of super-hot wood fire. It's a unique experience and, as you can imagine, does give the lobster a slightly different taste. Enjoy your Royal Caribbean cruise and your visit to Maine.

We cheated and went for the baked stuffed. :D

Bar Harbor - you will need a taxi. The best on the planet.....used to live there, we all know.

The men catch the lobster, the ladies/wives started the restaurant. Cooked in sea water over a wood fire.

Ready..........

Abel's Lobster Pound

Also, if you can do it.....Jordan pond House for afternoon popovers and tea on the lawn. You will never forget it.

From my Canada/New England trip report:

Portland continued...

Downtown area

IMG_5350_zpsab716b7b.jpg

There was a lobster place right where we were dropped off that a lot of folks went to. The 1 1/4 pound lobsters served on paper plates with plastic ware and you set in an enclosed room out back on picnic tables. I had planned for us to eat at the Old Port Tavern and we could see the sign just half a block up the street so we walked there instead.

IMG_5388_zpse387aee6.jpg

It was a nice sit down restaurant with real forks and china. I had a 1 1/4 pound lobster, salad & French fries for $15, hubby had a fried haddock sandwich with onion rings and I had a glass of wine all for $31! Plus a $6 tip. It was awesome and I was so glad that we stuck to our original plans. You could also have a double lobster plate for $21! These were whole lobsters, not just the tail.

IMG_5392_zps33a1763a.jpg

PA310968_zps02423c4c.jpg

Charlie & Cindy

West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor would be my recommendation as well. They have an online menu. I like their lazy man lobster, wife likes the twin lobsters. We go about 4-5 times a year, but mostly in the off season. Great beer selection as well :D

Another vote for DiMillo's in general as I haven't had their lobster. Although I wouldn't necessarily consider it formal unless you're comparing it to clam shacks.

I'll be there Saturday for an early dinner. :D

I wouldn't call it formal either but it is a little upscale compared to the mostly pub type places in the area. Enjoy! :)

I wouldn't call it formal either but it is a little upscale compared to the mostly pub type places in the area. Enjoy! :)

I believe shorts are allowed in the dining room. :eek:

There are other restaurants in Portland that are a little more "upscale" in that they're stuffy. Street and Company comes to mind, which is a local favorite. We found it to be a very attractive restaurant but not the type of food we were looking for, particularly in Maine.

Archived