Inside cabins

Lovely other

We just booked our first inside as well. I'm looking forward to it. We never used our balcony and the light from the window woke me up very early in our ocean-view (I can't sleep with light in the room). Anyways, I think it'll be good to have an idea of the different categories :)

The noordam , category L

An "L" category is considered a "large" inside, but on the Vista and Signature ships, a "large" inside is not as large a cabin as is found on the S- and R-class ships.

This cabin is adequate, but "cozy". There's more walking space if the beds are separated.

I have shared much smaller insides on the very old ships (Rotterdam V), but it would not be my first choice now. On the Vista/Signature ships I prefer the insides on Main Deck, or would take the I-cabins on the upper decks.

But there are also "standard" insides, so you could have done far worse! :eek:

You didn't say how far back. If you go to the show, or other evening venues late, it's a long walk home if you are aft of the aft elevators.

You are sandwiched between two passenger decks, so it should be quiet.

There's nothing to "panic" about, imo, and you should have a great time, just understand that it's a small cabin. While on board, stroll the passageways on Main when the stewards are doing their morning cleanings, and peek into those cabins. Next time you'll have a better idea of the choices.

Thanks for your help RuthC ...I would have liked something higher but L was as much as the budget allowed unfortunately.

I don't mind a long walk and I always use the stairs (health nut) but I am a little claustraphobic which wasn't helped by my neighbour describing the cabin as a 'floating tomb' yesterday.

Fingers crossed for an upgrade x x x x x x x

"Floating tomb" is quite an exaggeration. Quite. The cabin is not spacious, but there's more than enough room to change your mind. ;)

I do think it would feel a lot larger with the beds separated than pushed together, though. And neatness counts! Find a place to put things away, and keep it picked up. Otherwise, there will be no place to set things down, or even sit, very quickly.

Welcome to the world of the inside cabins! We never book anything else, since DH can't see paying more & we get to cruise more often.

As Ruth pointed out, you'll be fine, just don't expect a lot of room. Having said that, let me tell you that on Bermuda cruise aboard the old Empress of the Seas, DH & I booked what turned out to be little more than a closet. If he was getting dressed, I had to sit on the bed and vice versa. Absolutely NO room in that cabin; however it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken. Now we laugh about having to play "muscial showers."

I know it won't help you for me to say this, but those J & K cabins on Main Deck are quite large (200+ sq ft), and those are the ones we always book now. Could you possibly cut out a monthly expense such as eating out/buying coffee on the way to work, so you could afford one of these larger cabins? It's a thought. Just to pay for our cruises, we never eat out & have cut our expenses to the bone. It works for us, but this type of denial may not be for everyone.

I am also claustrophobic and was very worried when I booked my first inside cabin. We were very happy with it and have booked them since. The fake window seems very real and we love the walk in shower. Our aches and pains make climbing into the high tubs very hard. This time we need an accessible cabin and the only one available was OV but will still have the walk in shower. We have stayed in the smaller cabins with no problems. They still have a small seating area and we don't mind being cozy.

If you are on the Noordam, book the cheapest inside cabin, watch for every single price drop, every day or almost... And if u have time, then save the $299 for a Retreat Cabana. Best money we ever spend, lots of included perks and pampering, and no need at all to fight the chair hogs! :)

Shower and get ready at the spa showers !

I only seem to cruise on the R & S class ships. The insides on those mainly the same size as the ocean view. Separate the beds, have two twins and your cabin will seem so much larger. I have seen the same cabin made up as one queen, seemed so much smaller, not as much room.

Good luck, and think positively.

I always get an inside because I travel solo and even when I travel with friends and family, I insist on getting my own cabin. Therefore, I have to think budget wise and I prefer cruising more in an inside than one verandah cruise in my year.

I have an opinion on the L you got. I think you are better off with it than the bigger J and K on the main deck. I cruised in a J category on the Eurodam and hated it. I was right under the Queen's lounge and had music and the bass thumping up until 1 in the morning! I paid more for more space but did not get much sleep. I even heard the horrible voices of people trying to sing karaoke...haha....The room in itself is large, over 200 feet, but I prefer quiet over space.

Don't worry about the space....a cruise goes by quickly!!

"Floating tomb" is quite an exaggeration. Quite. The cabin is not spacious, but there's more than enough room to change your mind. ;)

I do think it would feel a lot larger with the beds separated than pushed together, though. And neatness counts! Find a place to put things away, and keep it picked up. Otherwise, there will be no place to set things down, or even sit, very quickly.

I am a neat freak anyway. Drives my husband mad. Not sure we want to spend our wedding anniversary in seperate beds though ;)

Thanks again for all your advice. I'm one of those people who over thinks everything :rolleyes:

I don't think it's the size so much as just the lack of window. I live in the middle of a national park , I like a view. Unfortunately cutting back to afford a better cabin wouldn't happen, I've nothing left to cut back. I lost my job after a prolonged illness and my poor husband is working all hours at the other end of the country, only coming home every other weekend so he can pay for everything ...I feel guilty moaning about the cabin now :(

Anyway it'll be fine, I'm just being silly. I'm not one for spending hours indoors anyway and if all else fails a friend suggested a whiskey up on deck before bed. In her mind the alcohol and sea air would make me nod off and hubby can carry me off to bed ...just picturing my husband trying to carry me, it'd be a funny sight for all.

I am also claustrophobic and was very worried when I booked my first inside cabin. We were very happy with it and have booked them since. The fake window seems very real and we love the walk in shower. Our aches and pains make climbing into the high tubs very hard. This time we need an accessible cabin and the only one available was OV but will still have the walk in shower. We have stayed in the smaller cabins with no problems. They still have a small seating area and we don't mind being cozy.

Now I'm starting to wonder. We booked a quad K on Amsterdam for next August. We could have booked a J, but wanted to be closer to mid ship.

Quad on the Amsterdam should be fine. The insides on the Amsterdam are basically around 182 sq feet which is large considered to some verandas on non HAL ships. You just have to be careful booking an inside on the Vista and Signature ships. Ruth described those not on the Main deck as tiny, tiny tiny. But she did say that if you split the beds--they would be doable.

Now I'm starting to wonder. We booked a quad K on Amsterdam for next August. We could have booked a J, but wanted to be closer to mid ship.

Mary, the Amsterdam is an R-class ship, so is totally different from the Noordam.

The insides on the Amsterdam are 186 sq. ft., which is only slightly smaller than the outsides at 196 sq. ft. The bathroom has a shower instead of a tub, which means the vanity and shelf under it are longer as the placement is reversed; there is storage there.

Not the same. Not the same. Not the same.

I have an opinion on the L you got. I think you are better off with it than the bigger J and K on the main deck. I cruised in a J category on the Eurodam and hated it. I was right under the Queen's lounge and had music and the bass thumping up until 1 in the morning! I paid more for more space but did not get much sleep. I even heard the horrible voices of people trying to sing karaoke...haha....The room in itself is large, over 200 feet, but I prefer quiet over space.

Next time try a K-cabin on Main. It's the same size as the J-cabins on Main, but under the dining room. That should be quiet enough for sleeping. It's a few dollars less expensive, too! :D

It's clear that HAL inside cabins come in different sizes and configurations, but I'm wondering if the bathroom/shower size are the same throughout the cabin class? While I might be willing to give up some living real estate in a "standard" inside cabin(ette), I rather insist on having a human-sized bathroom and shower. The "large" inside cabin bathroom photos I've seen show perfectly adequate facilities, and I'm hoping the cabin(ettes) have the same. Does anybody know?

It's clear that HAL inside cabins come in different sizes and configurations, but I'm wondering if the bathroom/shower size are the same throughout the cabin class? While I might be willing to give up some living real estate in a "standard" inside cabin(ette), I rather insist on having a human-sized bathroom and shower. The "large" inside cabin bathroom photos I've seen show perfectly adequate facilities, and I'm hoping the cabin(ettes) have the same. Does anybody know?

I have used inside bathrooms on Ryndam, Maasdam, Statendam, Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam and Westerdam. On the Westerdam, we had a very large inside J on the Main Deck. All the bathrooms were pretty similar in size. Ruth probably know more about the differences which basically where in the sink/vanity area. They all hd nice showers.

I have used inside bathrooms on Ryndam, Maasdam, Statendam, Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam and Westerdam. On the Westerdam, we had a very large inside J on the Main Deck. All the bathrooms were pretty similar in size. Ruth probably know more about the differences which basically where in the sink/vanity area. They all hd nice showers.

Good to know. Thanks very much.

Weve never had a bad inside on any line. We sleep well, feel very rested and on our first cruise we had a long port day at the San Diego Zoo and took a nap, and missed formal night! Now i will always bring something so i can have a little light and the time! But heck that was one good nap!

Weve never had a bad inside on any line. We sleep well, feel very rested and on our first cruise we had a long port day at the San Diego Zoo and took a nap, and missed formal night! Now i will always bring something so i can have a little light and the time! But heck that was one good nap!

Yes, absolutely vital - a flashlight and a battery-powered clock with a dial you can light up! A tiny bit of light will come under the door, but that won't help you in the middle of the night if you're thinking it must be time for breakfast! Now I wouldn't travel without my little travel alarm ever. DH has one, too but I must know what time it is if I wake up confused....:)

My cousin and I are in j1069 on the Eurodam. The queen's lounge and the culinary centre seem to be above this room. Neither of us have used an interior ( OV, Balcony or Deluxe on past cruises) but aren't too worried. We plan to purchase passes to the thermal spa, so even if the weather ( Can/NE Oct.2) we should always have some relative comfort ,

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived