On "Golden" Pond with Hip Flask Nov 4th

trekie69

Here's a curiosity question for everyone with Golden Princess experience.

My spouse and I plan on having two to three bottles of vodka/gin/rum delivered to our cabin, plus we plan on purchasing one or two Unlimited Soda & More cards plus one or two Cafe Select Coffee cards.

We also plan on bringing on board two EMPTY hip flasks that will be filled from the above mentioned bottles of liquor. These flasks will then be used to decant liquor as we move around the ship ordering mocktails and/or mixers (coke, sprite, etc).

Does anyone see a problem with this that I'm missing? I don't anticipate security having a problem with the flasks as they'll be empty.

The alcohol will be purchased on board so I can't imagine that the various bars, etc. will have a problem with it either.

And am I being cheap? YOU BET! :D

Has anyone else tried this?

Thank you!

David

I believe if you buy liquor onboard it will be held until the end of your cruise and not delivered to your cabin until then.

No you can buy liquor in the 375ml bottles from room service for onboard consumption.

There is a list of what is available on the Princess website in the Princess Cellars section.

The one Liter bottles in the gift shop are held until the last evening of your cruise.

Mike:)

I believe the intent of the beverages purchased via Princess for your stateroom, are so that you may enjoy a beverage in your state room. While there is a chance of no one saying anything to you is great, there could be an issue with the flasks.

Does anyone see a problem with this that I'm missing? I don't anticipate security having a problem with the flasks as they'll be empty.

I think posting this here is an excellent way to make sure

that the 375ml bottle sales from room service are discontinued.

I think posting this here is an excellent way to make sure

that the 375ml bottle sales from room service are discontinued.

I disagree. Those 375ml bottles are bought to be given as a gift or for yourself, to be consumed onboard. We do the same thing as buy them for when we are in the cabin, sitting on the balcony & don't want to walk to the nearest bar.

They price them accordingly and it's not much cheaper than buying at the bar, if you add in cost of mixers, etc. It's more of a convenience factor.

Coming on board should be no problem. The question is whether they will object to carrying the flask and making drinks in bars or at the pool. I think the intent of the 375 bottles is to have them consumed in cabin. Obviously, you will not be the only one consuming your own liquor outside the cabin, but most will have mixed it out of sight.

I disagree. Those 375ml bottles are bought to be given as a gift or for yourself, to be consumed onboard. We do the same thing as buy them for when we are in the cabin, sitting on the balcony & don't want to walk to the nearest bar.

They price them accordingly and it's not much cheaper than buying at the bar, if you add in cost of mixers, etc. It's more of a convenience factor.

I agree.

At $22 a pop for 375ml of Bombay Sapphire there is not much chance they will be discontinued.:D

But then again who would have thought they would discontinue selling the 1L bottles like they did back in 2005?

I agree.

At $22 a pop for 375ml of Bombay Sapphire there is not much chance they will be discontinued.:D

But then again who would have thought they would discontinue selling the 1L bottles like they did back in 2005?

They discountinued the 1L bottles so they could sell the 375ml bottles for a very high price.

Whether or not security and the bar staff have a problem with your plan is a good question, BUT -

I don't think you will be saving money, not much anyway. There's just only so much fluid you can consume in a day - and you are planning on purchasing two plans (coffee and Ultimate) for each of you. To make them pay off you will have to drink plenty all day/everyday. Add to that the inflated cost of the Bon Voyage bottles.

I applaud your creativity. Yes you are being cheap, but in the interest of saving money, I would suggest you just pay out of pocket for each drink and skip the plans. Unless your intent is spending your cruise in a stupor, you won't spend significantly more and you won't have to worry about the "stink-eye" from the staff.

I had a similar idea last spring, so I'm not sitting in judgement. I purchased the drink plan...and I just couldn't swallow enough to financially break even...and that was without adding the liquor. Yes, I did take some juice back to my room and add some vodka. The nice thing about the plan was - if you wanted it, (a soda, a no-jito, a milkshake) I could have it without worrying about adding to the bill. The drink package was a lot of fun, although I just couldn't make it pay off. (On top of that I had some bar purchases, so maybe that slowed down my ability to keep swallowing?)

Maddle

You describe drinking in your cabin/balcony. The original poster

wants to carry liquor with him constantly to avoid purchasing

in any bar. Seems like a huge effort.

If I found myself so consumed with drinking as to do that,

I might look for a meeting...

:)

Here's a curiosity question for everyone with Golden Princess experience.

My spouse and I plan on having two to three bottles of vodka/gin/rum delivered to our cabin, plus we plan on purchasing one or two Unlimited Soda & More cards plus one or two Cafe Select Coffee cards.

We also plan on bringing on board two EMPTY hip flasks that will be filled from the above mentioned bottles of liquor. These flasks will then be used to decant liquor as we move around the ship ordering mocktails and/or mixers (coke, sprite, etc).

Does anyone see a problem with this that I'm missing? I don't anticipate security having a problem with the flasks as they'll be em

The alcohol will be purchased on board so I can't imagine that the various bars, etc. will have a problem with it either.

And am I being cheap? YOU BET! :D

Has anyone else tried this?

Thank you!

David

I think you're creative!:)

Why not pour 'The Clear' in a plastic water bottle? I think a flask would call attention to what you're doing. Get some rum runners for resuppling when you go ashore. The 1 1/2 oz. mini bottles usually fly under the radar also plus they are easy to dispose of. Get creative here and follow the Beasties' motto "You gotta fight for your right to party!"

We have seen people at the pools adding rum/vodka to their fruit juices they get from the buffet areas. Well... we "assume" it wasn't water they were pouring from their water bottles!;) Never saw anyone soing it at a bar inside tho.

Archived