X Reflection Dining Options

jan-n-john

We will be sailing on a 7 day cruise in mid-Dec. First time on X. I am a "foodie" (hate that word but what better word is there?) and dining is important to me; sweetie to a lesser extent, but she likes to eat well too, tho she must avoid gluten.

We will be in AQ so will have access to Blu. I figure we will eat there maybe 3 nites, and the MDR at least once. I definitely want to try the other special dinner options, especially Qsine. Preferably I'd like to check the menus in the various restaurants each day and decide what we want to do each nite as we go along. How feasible is that? How much variation is there in each restaurant from day to day? If we go with the 3 nite package I understand we would lose some flexibility as to where and when we can dine. So for example, if we decide we want to go to, say, Qsine 3 nites, can we do that, without the package or with? Are there other packages available that we should know about that would give us more flexibility but yet save a few bucks? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

The fixed 3 has limited flexibility; I believe you choose the first and they choose the additional 2. We chose the Ultimate package, $29 per person per day and included lunches in Bistro and The Porch as well (and I believe lunch during one at sea day on Murano). With this option, we chose which venue we dined in each night. I expected Qsine to be my favorite, but Murano was hands down the BEST!! I was surprised that my second favorite was the Lawn Club, and we visited each these restaurants twice. We were in a Concierge cabin so we did not have access to Blu, and that might make things different, but my understanding is that with the additional AQ cabins, its much more crowded than on other S-class ships, and service and ticket times can run long......I, like you, am a true Foodie, so I highly suggest the Ultimate package. Qsine was fun, but I think it would be more enjoyable with a larger group than just the 2 of us, as we didn't even make it through 3 selections......Oh, the Ultimate package is only available by booking on the ship, day one, go to either Murano or Tuscan Grille and the Maitre d' will take your booking.

"How much variation is there in each restaurant from day to day?"

Blu and MDR have changing menus. The specialty restaurants don't. So they will be serving the same meals night after night. You can preview the specialty restaurant menus on the Celebrity website.

Hello jan-n-john

We have done the 5 night dining package in the past and that includes Tuscan Grille (x2), Murano, Lawn Club and Qsine. However, we preferred Murano and so asked if we could swap our second Tuscan for Murano. We were able to do this but had to pay the difference between what it is in Tuscan Grille compared to Murano (I think about $10 dollars per person).

I agree with akowilm and our favourites are definitely Murano and the Lawn Club. They are all great but we have done Qsine twice now and I think that is enough. It is amazing the first time, but then you know what is coming and it isn't so much of a novelty. It is definitely better when there is a group of you though, as you try more things.

You can always do the speciality restaurants individually, rather than with the package. It is swings and roundabouts really, as although you save money with the package, most of the restaurants do deals a lot of the time, particularly the first and last night, so you can save money there too. We always wait until we get on and see what we fancy doing. Also, that way, you can be more spontaneous about which night you want to go.

I am sure you will enjoy them wherever you decide to go!

We are on the Reflection in just under 4 weeks and cannot wait now!!:D

Katherine

Hello akowilm

I have seen the Ultimate package on the Celebrity website, but wasn't completely sure what it included.

Is it just lunches or can you dine any night in any speciality restaurant?

Would you be able to let me know exactly what is included for the $29 pp please, as we may get this package.

Thank you!

Katherine

It includes dinner in a Specialty restaurant of your choice each night, as well as lunches daily in the Bistro or The Porch. It also includes one lunch in either Murano or Tuscan Grill, which opens for lunch on one sea day. IMHO, very well worth the $29 per person per day charge. You can book it as soon as you get on the ship, but not before. Don't worry about them 'running out', but DO book early on Embarkation Day. The earlier you book, the more choice you have on reservation times. We WERE able to switch a second night in Tuscan Grille to a third night in Murano halfway through our cruise, as the Grille just wasn't up to par on our sailing and Murano well exceeded our expectations, in service and in quality of food. We also traded a second visit to Qsine for another trip to the Lawn Club because we fell in love with our server, Oscar, and his crew of characters that made dinner not only delicious, but so much fun! Enjoy your cruise, I have 8 more long months to wait!!!!

Thank you so much for that. I must admit it sounds really good and I think we may probably do that. We tend to go to the Porch for lunch a few days anyway and intend to try the Bistro this time too. What is the Bistro like? We do like the Porch. Do they also do breakfast in the Porch and the Bistro? If so, we may have to try that too! ;)

We are so excited now about our cruise! At least once ours is over, you still have yours to look forward to! I just hope time goes really slowly when we are there!

I am already imaging what I am going to have to eat in Murano! It is so lovely there, isn't it. We always go for our wedding anniversary, as they look after you so well and the food is so delicious.

Thanks again for your help!

:)

I really enjoyed the Bistro, and found myself there more often than the Porch. I loved the location of the Porch, but the Cowboy crepe and the Italian (dessert) crepe kept me coming back for more! I am embarrassed to mention it, but I also splurged on those Mast Grill burgers(which are just silly good) mid-afternoon due to our reservations being late each evening. My DH says I intentionally made them late so I could have 4 meals a day......He was correct!:D

Thank you so much for that. I must admit it sounds really good and I think we may probably do that. We tend to go to the Porch for lunch a few days anyway and intend to try the Bistro this time too. What is the Bistro like? We do like the Porch. Do they also do breakfast in the Porch and the Bistro? If so, we may have to try that too! ;)

We are so excited now about our cruise! At least once ours is over, you still have yours to look forward to! I just hope time goes really slowly when we are there!

I am already imaging what I am going to have to eat in Murano! It is so lovely there, isn't it. We always go for our wedding anniversary, as they look after you so well and the food is so delicious.

Thanks again for your help!

:)

If you get the ulitimate package dont forget breakfast at the porch.IMO best breakfast on the ship and is included in package

Just don't forget Tuscan Grill! It's actually our favorite as Murano sometimes seems so pretentious and the food is so rich I'm actually full before I eat the main course. Tuscan is our favorite. The antipasto tray is amazing as is the bread basket. I think the best breads on the ship are there. We usually eat there twice on a cruise over a week. I agree, a couple times QSine is fine and it's best with a group. It's almost as much about the presentation as the food, and once you've done it a couple times, you've done it.

Enjoy!

I really enjoyed the Bistro, and found myself there more often than the Porch. I loved the location of the Porch, but the Cowboy crepe and the Italian (dessert) crepe kept me coming back for more! I am embarrassed to mention it, but I also splurged on those Mast Grill burgers(which are just silly good) mid-afternoon due to our reservations being late each evening. My DH says I intentionally made them late so I could have 4 meals a day......He was correct!:D

That's so funny! You have made me really hungry now! I could just eat a burger from the Mast Grill! We love it there too. My only issue with the food on Celebrity is it too good and there is far too much of it! I am trying to diet before I go, as I know I am going to put on so much weight when I am there! My husband and I always wear our tightest clothes at the beginning of the cruise, as there is no way we will get them on towards the end!! :eek:

I can't wait to try the Bistro and think we will definitely get the package. It does sound like really good value.

Thanks again for your help.

Don't forget to try the Lawn Club too, its great fun! Also, not a meal, but great before or after, the Molecular Bar. It is really suited to match well with the Specialty restaurants. We managed to work our way through the menu there in 7 days!

We absolutely love the Lawn Club! I especially like the warm chocolate chip cookie and I am not usually a dessert person! I must remember to save some room for that after my meal!! ;)

My husband loves the Autumn Breeze in the Molecular Bar. We get the premium drink package too, so we can fully indulge!

I just can't wait now!

............well worth the $29 per person per day charge. You can book it as soon as you get on the ship, but not before. Don't worry about them 'running out', but DO book early on Embarkation Day. The earlier you book, the more choice you have on reservation times.................

Totally agree that the Ultimate package is definitely the way to go. Not too sure with your statement about " don't worry about them running out", they only sell a limited number of these packages for obvious reasons. You also have to take pot-luck on your dining time as 7.00-8.30 sell out very quickly especially in Murano, whilst in the other restaurants it is not normally a problem.

The only assured way to get your choice is to pre-book every night and then upgrade to the Package when you get on-board, they will refund the difference to your seapass account.

Blu and MDR have changing menus. The specialty restaurants don't. So they will be serving the same meals night after night. You can preview the specialty restaurant menus on the Celebrity website.

Agree the Speciality Restaurant menus are the same every night. But I alternate between Lobster, Fillet, Veal and Dover Sole - can't be that bad!

OK. Thanks for all your comments. So here are my questions at this point:

1. Is it the case that the ultimate dining package is only available on the ship upon boarding, not before?

2. For a 7 day Carib cruise in mid_december (a low demand week with low fares overall), what is the list price of the package and is it reasonable to think it will be available at a discount, and if so about how much?

3. For the same cruise, is it reasonable to think the specialty restaurants will also be offering discounts? Again, how much? When do they post their discounts? same day or further in advance?

4. Since we will be in AQ and will likely dine at Blu at least 3 nites and perhaps once in the MDR (just to see what it's like, since we're new to this), does it make sense to buy the whole package for the other 3 or 4 nites or just pay as we go? Do the special lunches that are included make it worthwhile?

5. If we plan to pay as we go, is it likely we will be able to get into whichever restaurant whenever we want or do they fill up? We can be flexible on the specific times.

Again, thanks in advance for all help and comments.

OK. Thanks for all your comments. So here are my questions at this point:

1. Is it the case that the ultimate dining package is only available on the ship upon boarding, not before?

2. For a 7 day Carib cruise in mid_december (a low demand week with low fares overall), what is the list price of the package and is it reasonable to think it will be available at a discount, and if so about how much?

3. For the same cruise, is it reasonable to think the specialty restaurants will also be offering discounts? Again, how much? When do they post their discounts? same day or further in advance?

4. Since we will be in AQ and will likely dine at Blu at least 3 nites and perhaps once in the MDR (just to see what it's like, since we're new to this), does it make sense to buy the whole package for the other 3 or 4 nites or just pay as we go? Do the special lunches that are included make it worthwhile?

5. If we plan to pay as we go, is it likely we will be able to get into whichever restaurant whenever we want or do they fill up? We can be flexible on the specific times.

Again, thanks in advance for all help and comments.

Of course some of these are all opinions, but here goes:

1. Ultimate only on the ship. I wouldn't buy any package before getting on board

2. The list prices and packages prices are the website and not discounted on-board. Individual meals are often, and you can usually get a discount by asking or just returning to the same restaurant. If you enjoyed your meal, on the way out, you could ask "we'd like to come back, can we get a discount". Or if you got a discount for first night dining or something (they're often offered) you could ask "if we come back again, will you honor the discount again".

3. They will offer discounts based on demand. Mostly first and last night, but they'll be around soliciting reservations and will negotiate if you're in to that.

4. I don't think the ultimate will make sense $$ wise if you'll eat in Blue 3 times and the MDR once. The special lunches are subjective.

5. If you're flexible about time, you could eat in any restaurant late, no problem.

As a "foodie" I would say set reasonable expectations for what you get on board an you'll be happy. We're happy in Murano once a week, the second time is a bit much but we'll do twice in a week on occasion or when we were board of Blue or Tuscan Grille. Quisine is ok, but NOT molecular gastronomy. It is more like "fun with food". Fun presentations, fun preparations, but do NOT expect Moto, Alinea or WD50 or anything close really. I've eaten there 3 times I think over 3 weeks at see since December and won't miss it one bit when I'm on Connie for a month in Nov/Dec.

Have fun and enjoy.

Happy Sailing.

Another vote for going to the Lawn Club. We ate there last year when we were on the Silhouette. Three of our group had the Veal chop and felt it was the best they ever had.Had we eaten there earlier in our cruise we would have gone another time.

What happens to your gratuities if you only eat in the specialty restaurants and don't use the Buffet or the MDR. Since at least half is for your dining staff should you cancel 50% and give your gratuity to the Specialty Dining Staff ? What is the best to do ?

I have not been on Celebrity yet, but on every other ship we have been on, the gratuity gets split between the staff. Wait staff in the Specialty restaurants have not worked exclusively in those restaurants. It would seem like a real hassle to try and figure out how to split the gratuities up. What we always do is tip extra, in cash, at the end of the cruise, those that have provided extra good service.

We will be sailing on a 7 day cruise in mid-Dec. First time on X. I am a "foodie" (hate that word but what better word is there?) and dining is important to me; sweetie to a lesser extent, but she likes to eat well too, tho she must avoid gluten.

We will be in AQ so will have access to Blu. I figure we will eat there maybe 3 nites, and the MDR at least once. I definitely want to try the other special dinner options, especially Qsine. Preferably I'd like to check the menus in the various restaurants each day and decide what we want to do each nite as we go along. How feasible is that? How much variation is there in each restaurant from day to day? If we go with the 3 nite package I understand we would lose some flexibility as to where and when we can dine. So for example, if we decide we want to go to, say, Qsine 3 nites, can we do that, without the package or with? Are there other packages available that we should know about that would give us more flexibility but yet save a few bucks? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

I would strongly recommend that you try The Lawn Club Grill. You can have a wonderful dinner, grilled steak, fish, chicken and other specialties. They have a very good salad bar and great veggies. If you can have it, as an appetizer, you can have a design your own pizza. Your wife will have to consider other options. The Lawn Grill advertises that you can assist the chefs and grill and prepare your own meal. You do not have to make any food- it is a choice if you want to help out. We never do! Qsine, while wonderful has many exotic types of dishes, some may contain gluten. The Tuscan grill is an Italian Steak house- but they have many pasta dishes, as well as others. Murano is another type of french steak house and has a good selection of other dishes. I also watch what I eat ( by choice low carbs) and the waiters have in all venues prepared my meals per my specifications. However, I wouldn't be ill if something I didn't want was contained in my food. In Blu, as well as the MDR, they will work with you also.

If you take a package, you must dine in the restaurants per the package purchased. Just FYI, the first night, typically you can reserve dinner at a specialty restaurant at a discount. They also periodically offer discounts once on board. We enjoy the packages, and in fact if it works out, dine only in specialty restaurants regardless of our stateroom category, including Blu.

I would suggest you call the Celebrity enhancements departments to discuss the packages in more detail.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived