Any special privledges for Mini Suites

volfanvegas

I see a lot of talk about the special things for suites and I assume these are the penthouse suites. I am going on my first NCL cruise on the Pearl next month and just upgraded to the mini-suite and just wondered if there is anything special other than more space with this cabin category. Really learning a lot reading these boards thanks in advance for any answers.

I see a lot of talk about the special things for suites and I assume these are the penthouse suites. I am going on my first NCL cruise on the Pearl next month and just upgraded to the mini-suite and just wondered if there is anything special other than more space with this cabin category. Really learning a lot reading these boards thanks in advance for any answers.

None. A mini-suite is really a deluxe balcony with no suite perks at all. Just another gimmick NLC uses to sell cabins.

None. A mini-suite is really a deluxe balcony with no suite perks at all. Just another gimmick NLC uses to sell cabins.

Not actually. Mini-suites used to have concierge access, however the perk was removed a long time ago.

So there was originally a good reason for naming the cabins "mini-suites", however I do agree with most that the name should have been changed too when they became nothing more than better balcony cabins.

We had a mini suite on the Pearl. No extra anything as others have said but it was a great room nonetheless. I liked the tub (not sure if there's a tub in balcony rooms). There's also a curtain/divider if you have kids between the bed and the sitting area which I don't think other rooms have. That's about it. Epic doesn't have this divider which annoys me to no end but oh well. :)

You still have cabin stewards who will do things for you if you ask them (within reason). I realize it's not the same as the Suite life but it's not like you are floating out there all on your own. lol. :)

I loved our mini suite on the Pearl. I think you will too! Have a great trip.

Personally think the tub is a negative, but some do like it. Small and a high step in for your shower.

As to the concierge thing. That was such a wasted perk... you had to call someone to make a reservation, who then called somebody else to make the reservation, and then called you back. Much easier to just do it yourself.

As said, this is a deluxe balcony. Nothing else.

No priority anything.

You'll really appreciate the spaciousness of the Mini suites. My first cruise ever was in a mini suite on the Star and DH who had only ever been in a balcony, commented on how much larger our mini was. As far as perks go, we're so used to looking after our own bookings and doing everything ourselves I'm not sure we'll even take advantage of our butler this time but the additional space we'll have in the aft-facing PH will be enjoyed. Don't worry, it's not only about the space, you likely have a better location too which is nice.

Enjoy your cruise.

Connie

Some folks often beat on the semantics of the "Minisuite" nomenclature..

...regardless, on Jewel-class ships, they are really, really nice cabins. My only choice when we sail on those ships. Lack of perks are not in the equation. It is indeed a 'super-balcony' cabin.

The extra space is certainly a treat. The bathroom is large and comfortable.

The ability to separate the sleeping area from the desk, couch and TV with a curtain is perfect for me, as a night owl....plus the premium location on Deck 11.

The Mini has much less differentiation on the Breakaway class, primarily 30+ sq ft, mostly in the bath area.

On a Jewel class ship, it is a great choice.

...The ability to separate the sleeping area from the desk, couch and TV with a curtain is perfect for me, as a night owl....plus the premium location on Deck 11.

This is the #1 reason we would book a mini. One of us is always up late, or get up early.

For me it is the separator curtain - I tend to stay up later than the DH - read or watch a bit of TV...and he tends to get up earlier than me. Pulling that heavy curtain closed between the bed and couch is a "peace keeper" ;).

The bathrooms are larger than the standard balcony - two people can be in there without smashing into each other. My husband loves the tub...not so me. But to each his own.

And the final plus...is the location of the buffet. If we have an early call, my husband will go up one flight...and bring down something for breakfast so we can eat and go. Very convenient...in fact that's how we take most of our breakfast meals...I am NOT a morning person :mad:...this works out perfectly for us.

Have a wonderful cruise!

p.s. You didn't ask but I have to say this as well: make sure you experience the Great Outdoors...all the way aft on the 11th deck - you get the best view - bring out your meal (in my case, of course, NOT breakfast as explained above)...and enjoy one of the most beautiful views going. Morning, afternoon, or night...we often go there are night with our evening tea to just sit and watch the stars! The Pearl is a wonderful ship - we took our first long cruise (I believe it was 15 nights) from LA to Miami, through the Panama Canal. It's a terrific ship!)

p.s. You didn't ask but I have to say this as well: make sure you experience the Great Outdoors...all the way aft on the 11th deck

This is the second thread where you have referenced that so I need to mention that buffets are deck 12 aft, not deck 11. ;)

Unless it was the same price or only a few dollars more than a balcony cabin it's not worth it in my opinion. I tried to surprise my wife by upgrading to the mini from a balcony on the Jade and she didn't even notice lol. I had to tell her we were in a mini.

Some folks often beat on the semantics of the "Minisuite" nomenclature..

...regardless, on Jewel-class ships, they are really, really nice cabins. My only choice when we sail on those ships. Lack of perks are not in the equation. It is indeed a 'super-balcony' cabin.

The extra space is certainly a treat. The bathroom is large and comfortable.

The ability to separate the sleeping area from the desk, couch and TV with a curtain is perfect for me, as a night owl....plus the premium location on Deck 11.

The Mini has much less differentiation on the Breakaway class, primarily 30+ sq ft, mostly in the bath area.

On a Jewel class ship, it is a great choice.

Would you select a Balcony over a mini on the Breakaway?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

This is the second thread where you have referenced that so I need to mention that buffets are deck 12 aft, not deck 11. ;)

I just reread my post and I did mention that my husband walks up a flight. I thought that would indicate deck 12. However if you were confused by that, so were others quite possibly. Thanks for clarifying! :)

I upgraded from a Mid Ship Balcony to a Mini Suite Large Balcony today. the difference is BA (total 207 sf - 175 inside 32 balcony) the M6 (total 310 sf - 207 inside 103 balcony) This is on the Breakaway seems like quite a large difference. was only $60 difference for me per person so why not?

It was only 100 more for the mini seems like money well spent to me.

It definitely is - we have sailed 4 of 9 cruises in mini-suites and liked them a lot.

However beware of the cabin location if you still have any chance to make a difference - there are differences between mini-suites based on what is above them. The ones on deck 10 are usually safe picks but on deck 11 there are areas above on deck 12 that generate noise at night like pool deck (cleaning) and galleys (cleaning and preparations).

There was recently a thread about deck 11 mini-suites on Jewel class ships: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1890927

If you have any questions, just ask. Happy cruising! :)

Would you select a Balcony over a mini on the Breakaway?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Depends entirely on which cabins and their locations, and what you want. An aft balcony (larger balcony) or a "balcony cabin with large balcony") may almost split the difference, making them more desirable for someone who simply wants more balcony space or the aft view. Or maybe the price difference is significant, and all you really care about is balcony space (I'm pretty sure the balconies on standard B cabins and M cabins are the same on the Breakaway), then why bother spending much more for a mini. Best of both worlds would be a Mini Suite with large balcony I guess.

Robin

Archived