Air deviation. Have not made final payment

roberts2005

Just completed working with the air deviation department my results were excellent, the person I worked with was very helpful.

Part of my trip involves using Delta JFK to LAX. Is it possible to go Delta and pay for economy plus seats before I make final payment

Just completed working with the air deviation department my results were excellent, the person I worked with was very helpful.

Part of my trip involves using Delta JFK to LAX. Is it possible to go Delta and pay for economy plus seats before I make final payment

Pretty sure the answer is no. While you have a reservation for the flight, Oceania doesn't pay for the flight until 75 days before your departure and the airlines won't allow you to pay for the upgrade until the flight is paid for and that takes making final payment by you to allow Oceania to pay for your flights prior to the 75 day mark.

Sorry absolutely not..BUT you can pay early so you dont miss the seats..

Jancruz1

Pretty sure the answer is no. While you have a reservation for the flight, Oceania doesn't pay for the flight until 75 days before your departure and the airlines won't allow you to pay for the upgrade until the flight is paid for and that takes making final payment by you to allow Oceania to pay for your flights prior to the 75 day mark.

You're half correct, Dave, because once the Passenger has made Final Payment, they may request that Airline Tickets be purchased at any point (provided that they have also paid the Deviation Fee).

We actually learned the rules of how to do this while attempting (successfully) to book Economy Comfort seats on Delta, but were VERY underwhelmed by the Product.

The additional "roominess" was not apparent to us, and the greater recline of the seat virtually useless. We had the same food and (lack of) service as those in Coach, and the "included" cocktails were impossible to obtain, except at meals.

We would not bother with Economy Comfort again.

You're half correct, Dave, because once the Passenger has made Final Payment, they may request that Airline Tickets be purchased at any point (provided that they have also paid the Deviation Fee).

We actually learned the rules of how to do this while attempting (successfully) to book Economy Comfort seats on Delta, but were VERY underwhelmed by the Product.

The additional "roominess" was not apparent to us, and the greater recline of the seat virtually useless. We had the same food and (lack of) service as those in Coach, and the "included" cocktails were impossible to obtain, except at meals.

We would not bother with Economy Comfort again.

Thanks for the info. We were considering paying for this "service" on our next flight - which is over 10 hours. Guess we'll just relax and get through it as we are.

Thanks for the info. We were considering paying for this "service" on our next flight - which is over 10 hours. Guess we'll just relax and get through it as we are.

Oh I don't know, while it's certainly not first class on our last flight to Rome we used it and got a bulkhead seat. I felt the extra leg room was worth every penny we paid for it compared be cramped in regular coach. Got to book them early though to get the bulkheads or exits.

Economy plus is excellent like row 8 or 9 or 21 on 757 ... almost as good as domestic first class.

I have a time tested seat rule after flying over a million miles.

coach: 1-5 hours max

Economy+ 5-6 hours max

Business: 7to11 hours max

First : 12hours plus ( yes they have those)

Economy plus is excellent like row 8 or 9 or 21 on 757 ... almost as good as domestic first class.

I have a time tested seat rule after flying over a million miles.

coach: 1-5 hours max

Economy+ 5-6 hours max

Business: 7to11 hours max

First : 12hours plus ( yes they have those)

Dan, while most of your posts are excellent and provide great insight, can't believe you can compare economy plus or whatever the particular calls the extra cost economy seat to domestic First Class.

Used to travel extensively for business and was lucky enough to mostly be upgraded to Domestic First Class most of my trips and believe there is a significant difference in the seats.

The economy plus and economy seats are identical with the only difference being the pitch (distance between the seats). So you have more leg room but, that's it. And a disadvantage of exit row seats on some airlines is that the arm rest won't swing up giving more hip room. The domestic first class seats have more seat width, the extra leg room, bigger trays, small tables between the seats to hold drinks, etc. Quite a difference IMHO than the added leg room from regular economy seats.

Paying for economy plus is only reasonable for extremely tall people who aren't wider than normal at that's it IMHO.

Has anyone had any luck upgrading seats on British Airways with an Oceania deviation? I tried to do this a couple years ago with miles but was turned down. Perhaps it can only be done with hard cash...

Thanks,

Pam

We have done exactly that successfully.

The key is that Oceania must purchase the Airline Tickets early enough that BA still has upgrades available.

In order to make that happen, the Cruise must be paid for in full (so you cannot wait until the "normal" ninety day marker), and an Oceania Deviation Fee must be paid.

Thanks, Jim and Stan. I was able to do it for Delta online but not for BA. Looks like I'll have to call.

Thanks to all who have posted. I had no idea that this could be done. Just got great bulkhead seats on Delta for the Seattle to Amsterdam flight which will be so much easier on my husband's back and no one slamming their seat into our knees. :)

Pam

Tried Air/D. and was told would be $650 for two. O. gave airline flights with only 41 minutes time in Philly to change planes to Rome. Decided to stay one night in Rome before cruise and one night in Venice at end of cruise so asked for different schedule. Came back with over $1000+ in air deviation fees. Ended up booking my own flights with Delta and O. only allowed $850 refund ($1700) off our cruise price which included air, which was definitely less than what they were booking the air for. Our flights cost about $3,600+ (for two) on Delta. Since I booked they are up another $200. Flew to Sydney in economy in Feb. and since I tried to sleep most of the time, didn't worry about extra leg room as we had an empty seat between us. Coming back was not so lucky, but still managed to sleep with eye mask & headphones (had a window seat). Payed extra for aisle seat for traveling companion and she didn't sleep at all as people kept bumping the seat back going through the aisles. Was a very long flight. Can upgrade seats on Delta if available before flight. I have long legs but try not to put anything except medium tote with everything I need under seat and leave some foot room so can stretch out a little as needed. Can always slide it out a little after plane in air and put under knees.

Archived