Whats up with those bathrooms??

Boozebabe

Every cruise ship I've been on (17 to date) you had to close the toilet lid to flush it, so that takes care of "spray". Don't know if NCL ships are any different but I doubt it.

I've flushed the toilet on three different cruise ships without closing the lid. Yes, you might have to lean forward some and have a bit of flexibility, but it is doable.

Having the sink out in the room is probably more sanitary than having it in the same tiny room as the toilet. Studies have shown that the spray from a flush "travels" enough to get on countertops, tooth brushes, etc.

Having grossed everyone out....

We liked the Epic layout when my wife and kids sailed. It was great for multi-tasking. All of us could be doing something different without invading the privacy of others. It wasn't a problem at all for us. Lock the door and draw the curtain to avoid surprises.

There was enough complaining from those surprised by the layout that NCL changed back to a more traditional, less efficient design with the new ships. The good news is that you discovered this before you booked, not when you stepped into your room. If it bugs you, sail a different ship. There are plenty of others.

I was thinking the same thing. Our toilet in the master bath is in its own space...the shower is it its own space...garden tub in its own space....sinks are across the room...never had a :eek: moment at home. LOL :p

:D Reminds me of a Dave Barry article from a few years back: http://articles.philly.com/1995-05-02/news/25675695_1_public-toilets-escherichia-coli-chuck-gerba

See especially: "TOILET FACT NO. 5 - When you flush, a process called "aerosolization" takes place, in which the toilet shoots out an invisible cloud of tiny, germ- infested water droplets that get all over everything. In Reader's Digest, author Roach quotes Gerba as saying that if you keep your toothbrush within six feet of a commode, "you're basically brushing your teeth with toilet water.""

So maybe the separately enclosed toilets could be a good thing?

This doesn't apply to sub-pressurized systems like on ships or airplanes. The suction from the system is far more powerful than any force moving the droplets any other direction.

Boozebabe, I live in Liberty Twnshp, a little ways away from Milford, but we're still relative neighbors.

I suppose I'm immodest given I go in, and come out of the shower naked. My GF and I don't have any issues seeing each other naked. Matter of fact, we do a lot of things together that lends itself to being naked.:D

As someone else mentioned, if I were staying in a cabin where I was embarrassed about being seen naked by my cabin mate, I'd probably wouldn't be sailing with them.

I liked the bathroom set up on the Epic. When we sailed, my daughter was 19. In the time she took her shower and get ready for the day I could have cleaned a circus elephant. I was nice to be able to shave, etc., without having to wait for my DD.

I liked the bathroom set up on the Epic. When we sailed, my daughter was 19. In the time she took her shower and get ready for the day I could have cleaned a circus elephant. I was nice to be able to shave, etc., without having to wait for my DD.

This made me laugh! Thanks!

That said, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Boozebabe, I live in Liberty Twnshp, a little ways away from Milford, but we're still relative neighbors.

I suppose I'm immodest given I go in, and come out of the shower naked. My GF and I don't have any issues seeing each other naked. Matter of fact, we do a lot of things together that lends itself to being naked.:D

As someone else mentioned, if I were staying in a cabin where I was embarrassed about being seen naked by my cabin mate, I'd probably wouldn't be sailing with them.

I can think of a few scenarios of concern such as sailing with the child of someone else (as in if you bring your child's friend or a cousin). But, even with that...there's a curtain and I assume there are towels so no one should feel like they are forced to be an exhibitionist. Not everyone who shares a cabin is having sex regularly. :p

:D Reminds me of a Dave Barry article from a few years back: http://articles.philly.com/1995-05-02/news/25675695_1_public-toilets-escherichia-coli-chuck-gerba

See especially: "TOILET FACT NO. 5 - When you flush, a process called "aerosolization" takes place, in which the toilet shoots out an invisible cloud of tiny, germ- infested water droplets that get all over everything. In Reader's Digest, author Roach quotes Gerba as saying that if you keep your toothbrush within six feet of a commode, "you're basically brushing your teeth with toilet water.""

So maybe the separately enclosed toilets could be a good thing?

I watched a program a few years ago that was all about medical and biological myths. (I.E.- Is a dog's mouth really cleaner than a human's?- No.) It was really interesting. I'm 99% sure it was called "Dr. Know". Anyway, they did a study on this, and the results show that it does happen. However, toothbrushes provide an inhospitable environment for bacteria and germs. This is why we don't replace our toothbrushes after each use.

Yes if that is enough to ruin your cruise good that you looked at it before booking.

Just to mention it, I never understood how you can decide to share a small room with someone for a week but can not imagine stepping out of the shower nude in front of that person. I know enough people I would not feel comfortable to do that but I would not share a room with them either.

Apart from that, how do you shower at a public swimming pool? At least the last time I went there they had communal showers as well.

So I still think NCL did make the right decision but sadly they somehow got convinced to change it back on their new ships.

I just shared a cabin with my parents. I'm 41 and they're in their early 70's. None of us would feel comfortable with the idea of walking around the cabin nude. I also can't imagine that my 14 year old son would be comfortable with the idea, LOL.

Since a lot of my relatives are from Germany, I know they wouldn't have a problem with it. Cultural differences.

I just shared a cabin with my parents. I'm 41 and they're in their early 70's. None of us would feel comfortable with the idea of walking around the cabin nude. I also can't imagine that my 14 year old son would be comfortable with the idea, LOL.

Since a lot of my relatives are from Germany, I know they wouldn't have a problem with it. Cultural differences.

To be honest even though I am from Germany I would never ever share a hotel room or cruise ship cabin with my parents. Ok, perhaps a two bedroom/bathroom suite.

Yes if that is enough to ruin your cruise good that you looked at it before booking.

Just to mention it, I never understood how you can decide to share a small room with someone for a week but can not imagine stepping out of the shower nude in front of that person. I know enough people I would not feel comfortable to do that but I would not share a room with them either.

Apart from that, how do you shower at a public swimming pool? At least the last time I went there they had communal showers as well.

So I still think NCL did make the right decision but sadly they somehow got convinced to change it back on their new ships.

I couldn't possibly disagree with you any more! I just went to Vegas with my BFF--We are 52 and have been friends since we were 4 years old. We went with our 2 daughters who are both early 20's. We had 1 room the 4 of us shared. I would not feel at all comfortable coming out of the shower naked in front of her daughter. So with that in mind, the idea of being forced to come out of the shower in front of others would make me think twice about booking this ship/cabin with the same 4 people. Now--that said, it wouldn't stop me from sailing this ship with those same people bc i am sure we could figure out a shower routine.

I hadn't mentioned this in my original post but I have some mobility issues for lack of a better description. Its not bad enough to warrant a handicap cabin but I need a place to sit and dry off after a shower. In a traditional cabin that wasn't a problem. I just put a hand towel on the toilet lid and sit. I obviously couldn't do that in this new configuration. So for that reason I always check out the bathrooms before booking.

Not to be graphic here but hasn't anyone ever needed the sink for whatever reason while you were on the toilet or before leaving the bathroom? Sorry people you will never convince me that this plan was good idea. Obviously it wasn't as it has been changed on new ship builds.

Why some people think the Epic forces you to walk around the cabin nude is beyond me. We toweled off in the shower, grabbed a robe, and went about our business.

The things that people worry about... :confused:

Plus 1.

Agreed

Granted I stayed in the studios when I was on the Epic, but my friend had a balcony. I want to say the shower across from the toilet. but there was a big thick curtain to separate the bath/shower from bedroom/sitting area

so if you are going to take a shower. why not close the curtain and dress ??? the curtain does not keep anyone from seeing the tv. So you still have the privacy. No one has to see ANYONE NUDE. the curtain goes all the way to end so unless that person is purposely peeping through the sides......

so im not sure what the problem is????

maybe im missing something?

why some people think the epic forces you to walk around the cabin nude is beyond me. We toweled off in the shower, grabbed a robe, and went about our business.

The things that people worry about... :confused:

ditto!!!!!

Oh what a shame. I so looked forwarding to walking down the hall and getting an eye full every time someone opened the door. LOL.

Seriously, I can understand the above-poster's concern with the not-so-handy bathroom configuration but for everyone that has a handicap and needs to sit down, there's someone like me who is looking forward to the three people in my family being able to get dressed at relatively the same time rather than waiting for someone to finally exit the bathroom.

To towel off, grab a robe, I would have to take another shower. Not liking CLOSE quarters and many times, the air and the warmth from the shower and opening the door creates a moist air leaving me needing another shower. I have cruised many times with opposite sex members and never had a problem. Just need to respect another person privacy by sitting on a balcony til its my turn.

Archived