Statendam to Fanning Island

cruisincnuks

We will be sailing to Fanning Island on our South Pacific cruise aboard the Statendam. From what I've read some ships are small enough to enter the lagoon. I wonder if our favorite Holland ship is one of them? Anyone been there/done that?

Saw a picture of a fair sized freighter in there so you never know.

Bob

I have visited Fanning Island 153 times, as liaison between NCL and the Tribal Government there.

HALs smallest ship, Prinsendam - which is far smaller than Statendam - will not safely fit through the channel into the Tabueran (Fanning Island) lagoon.

Statendam definitely will not fit.

Not in the area where we were. It was big enough for the tenders to go through the entrance into the lagoon and some might think the dock was made of sticks!

A beautful place! Highly recommend the small bus ride around the island. $10 pp when we were there and very well worth it.

If you are thinking of buying trinkets, shell jewellery, etc: buy here. Lovely stuff and at very low prices. You will regret not buying everything in sight once you see the prices in the other ports on this cruise!

One warning about the jewellery: shells are strung on fishing line and the knots have an alarming tendancy to unravel, so take a tiny tube of good glue and set the knots right away.

Not in the area where we were. It was big enough for the tenders to go through the entrance into the lagoon and some might think the dock was made of sticks!

A beautful place! Highly recommend the small bus ride around the island. $10 pp when we were there and very well worth it.

If you are thinking of buying trinkets, shell jewellery, etc: buy here. Lovely stuff and at very low prices. You will regret not buying everything in sight once you see the prices in the other ports on this cruise!

One warning about the jewellery: shells are strung on fishing line and the knots have an alarming tendancy to unravel, so take a tiny tube of good glue and set the knots right away.

Excellent information.

Excellent information.

Thanks, KK.

I learned the hard way, but did have some glue. 1/4 of one piece ended up on the floor of the Explorer's Lounge, but I got it back together! Still wear it in the summer. Wish I ahd bough more, especially the star shaped shell ornaments for the Christmas tree!

We were there earlier this year on the Westerdam. A great little island. We walked all around it. Don't worry about the pigs, they are tied up. The dogs love the coconut shells after you drink out the coconut water. We bought a basket and a turtle made of shells. If you google Fanning Island you will find a wish list of school supplies etc. Many people will brings bags of school supplies, toys, toiletries and clothing items. The ship actually gave them 18 boxes of shoes, clothes and other items donated from the ship. It is am amazing place with non of what we consider the comforts of home. It will be one of the highlights of your trip.

Thanks, KK.

I learned the hard way, but did have some glue. 1/4 of one piece ended up on the floor of the Explorer's Lounge, but I got it back together! Still wear it in the summer. Wish I ahd bough more, especially the star shaped shell ornaments for the Christmas tree!

Yes they do have wonderful shell necklaces and I bought lots when we were there a couple of years ago, too. Sad to say that Fanning Island will not be there in what 20-25 years from now. To bad it is a wonderful place and the people were great. Have no idea where they will go.

We were on the Westerdam and there was no way it would fit in the inter-circle of the island. We tendered in.

Yes they do have wonderful shell necklaces and I bought lots when we were there a couple of years ago, too. Sad to say that Fanning Island will not be there in what 20-25 years from now. To bad it is a wonderful place and the people were great. Have no idea where they will go.

We were on the Westerdam and there was no way it would fit in the inter-circle of the island. We tendered in.

We were on your cruise.

Did you get soaked in the tender returning from the island? We had a rough trip, so rough that the quartermaster was shocked that the water came in the hatch right over his head!

Loved Captain van Maurick!

Wasn't that a super cruise?

Thanks for that Bruce. You sound like you know the island well.

I'm taking my fly rod with me hoping to find some different sport as we travel around these waters. Looking at the satellite maps Fanning looks promising. Do you know of any flats near were we land that a guy can wet a line?

I couldn't find much in my googling.

Bob

I have visited Fanning Island 153 times, as liaison between NCL and the Tribal Government there.

HALs smallest ship, Prinsendam - which is far smaller than Statendam - will not safely fit through the channel into the Tabueran (Fanning Island) lagoon.

Statendam definitely will not fit.

We were on your cruise.

Did you get soaked in the tender returning from the island? We had a rough trip, so rough that the quartermaster was shocked that the water came in the hatch right over his head!

The QM's and sailors who drive the tenders like to leave that top hatch above the driver's position open for ventilation. It pays however, to watch the direction of the swell/waves on their part;)

We were on your cruise.

Yes it was an awesome cruise. No we did not get water coming in from the hatch but it was a rough trip going back.

Captain PJ is the best Captain we have ever sailed with, such a personable man, always willing to take the time to chat with the passengers.:):):)

I agree that Captain PJ is wonderful to sail with. Also, if you google Fanning Island, the nurses have a list of supplies that are needed along with school supplies. Just don't purchase crayons as they melt. The tender ride was fun, a few people right up front got very wet as those windows were open as well.

We will be sailing to Fanning Island on our South Pacific cruise aboard the Statendam. From what I've read some ships are small enough to enter the lagoon. I wonder if our favorite Holland ship is one of them? Anyone been there/done that?

Saw a picture of a fair sized freighter in there so you never know.

Bob

I went to Fanning Island in 2004 on NCL Norweigan Star and the ship had to anchor off shore and we were tendered into the lagoon. As I recall it wasn't a long tender ride. I highly doubt any large ship would attempt to anchor in the lagoon. Fanning Island is a real life Gillian's Island. Natives live in thatched huts. It like going back in time. The locals were at the tender dock singing and passengers could get pictures took with them. When NCL went there they had developed a nice beach area with chairs and facilities. We had drinks (extra cost) served in Pineapple shells and they served us BBQ lunch. It was true south seas tropical paradise in the middle of nowhere. I still recall how vibrant the ocean colors were...blues and greens. I guess I could consider Fanning Island the most exotic place I've ever been to.

The QM's and sailors who drive the tenders like to leave that top hatch above the driver's position open for ventilation. It pays however, to watch the direction of the swell/waves on their part;)

Absolutely!

We felt sorry for the quartermaster, as he got most of the water and was very surprised. He felt bad for the pax who got wet. Now I know where not to sit in a tender!

It was fun, an adventure; we loved the whole experience!

Yes it was an awesome cruise. No we did not get water coming in from the hatch but it was a rough trip going back.

Captain PJ is the best Captain we have ever sailed with, such a personable man, always willing to take the time to chat with the passengers.:):):)

He is great!! We received two of our medallions from him and want to schedule the next one with him if we can pull it off! Had him on a cruise on May and he is just getting better and better!

We visited a few years ago on a 33 day Rotterdam cruise .

We had to tender in and the weather wasn't great at that time & the landng due to heavy swell for some folks was difficult.

The island was okay (third world at best:nothing wrong with that BTW). Very friendly & outgoing native people.

Some folks brought school supplies and other items via the CC Rolll Call at the time.

l brought a bag of 'Groucho' glasses & balloons for the kids.

Unfortunately someone was hurt in the tendering process during our visit (this is another issue for the those unable to tender due to age / disability) and the next day the ship skipped the nest port (I can't recall the port) due to similar sea conditions.

If you go to my Picasa thingy (below my signature, and scroll down) you'll find some pix of the island & our visit if interested).

In any event, enjoy your cruise. Depending on the sea conditions you may or may not land IMO.

I hope you do so.

Be well.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

He is great!! We received two of our medallions from him and want to schedule the next one with him if we can pull it off! Had him on a cruise on May and he is just getting better and better!

We had him again on the Zaandam in April for 3 weeks and you are totally right, he is getting better and better.

Hoping to catch up with him next year.:)

Fanning Island is one of my favorite ports of call. I would love to go back. I was on the Rotterdam, and able to be on the first tender in both times.

The people are lovely, so friendly and nice. You'll be able to buy so many interesting hand crafted items.

Hopefully I'll be able to go back to Fanning Island. The other ports that are normally stopped at don't interest me at all. I have been to the others numerous times, and the only one I want to see again is Fanning Island.

It is primitive, no bathrooms, so empty out before you go ashore.

Enjoy your time in Fanning Island.

Archived