Tux or smart suit

My DH has loads of smart casual stuff, but only wants to take one formal suit or his tux on board. We are on indy for 14 nights so im hoping he won't spill his dinner ha ha. He's not particularly bothered which he wears, but I just wondered, on the formal nights, those who do dress up, are the majority in suits or tux?

My DH has loads of smart casual stuff, but only wants to take one formal suit or his tux on board. We are on indy for 14 nights so im hoping he won't spill his dinner ha ha. He's not particularly bothered which he wears, but I just wondered, on the formal nights, those who do dress up, are the majority in suits or tux?

We're on that cruise too. DH will be in tux all 3 formal nights, cruising is the only time we get to "dress up" but many will be in suits. Does help that we don't have to fly to Southampton so no weight restriction. Plenty of room for suits for DH and SHOES for me!!

It's up to what he would rather wear on the formal nights.

I always wear a suit and tie on the formal nights.

Or, he could skip out on brining a suit all together and rent a tux while on board. If you guys really felt like going that route.

And in my honest opinion, I think it is split about 50/50 with those who do dress up between a suit and tie or a tux.

Med or UK based cruises tend to have a higher percentage of passengers in tuxedo on formal nights compare to cruises to the Caribbean.

Your DH will not be out of place with either. I wore my tux and that was the only formal wear I took too.

We did a 12 night in April.

We got married onboard which happened to be the 2nd formal evening so all the men wore suits.

The other 2 formal nights they all wore a tux. They all brought different shirts, bow-ties and cummerbunds so the overall look was different each night!

Our experience on many cruises in different Corners of the world is that "older" men tend to wear a tux whereas the middle aged/younge men wear a suit.

We like to dress up - not just on a cruise but also to go to the opera or classical Music concert an such - but frankly, I don´t own a tux. However I do own the mandatory business suits plus a few nice dark suits for evening functions.

I bring one nice dark suit on the cruise and wear a different shirt (white,charcoal...) and a different tie on the formal nights. Never felt underdressed... on the contrary, on caribbean cruises unfortunatelly I felt almost overdressed.

But that would start another, neverending dress code discussion...

It was nice when my DH used to rent a tux, it left more room in our suitcases for mine and DD stuff since his suit was left at home:eek:

But now it seems more and more men are wearing sports coats, dress pants, and suits over tuxes.

Oh I miss the classy look, but, he was more comfortable on the Allure in his sport coat.

I would say about 25% of men wore tuxs that showed up to dinner in the MDR (thats another story) on formal nights.

Sea Ya

I cheated and bought my DH a dark suit which came with two pair of trousers, allowing him to go 'formal' in the suit and long trousers for other nights in the MDR... He is not a Tux kind of guy, and he is a shorts and t-shirt 62yo, even wearing shorts in winter,:confused: but on a cruise he always dresses well. Note to self:- Must cruise more often!:rolleyes:

On our med cruise this past summer, the VAST majority of the men were in suits. You could count on one hand, the number of men in a tux. It was a 7-day, but I had heard the Med cruise was more formal. I didn't really see any difference in the degree of formal on formal night..except we didn't see anyone try to sneak in with shorts.

Suits.

I notice that on the Voyager of the Seas Australia/New Zealand sailings it mentions "2 Semi Formal Nights." Would appreciate the benefit of your experience to share what attire men and women wear on "semi formal night." This is our first time sailing on Royal Caribbean.....

Thanks!

I notice that on the Voyager of the Seas Australia/New Zealand sailings it mentions "2 Semi Formal Nights." Would appreciate the benefit of your experience to share what attire men and women wear on "semi formal night." This is our first time sailing on Royal Caribbean.....

Thanks!

We had a semi-formal night on Jewel on New Year's Eve. I still don't know what they meant - I think that, because we embarked on NYE, they wanted to give an out to anybody whose luggage hadn't arrived. DH wore his tux and I wore my long dress. As I recall, it was the only "dress up" night on the cruise (a 5-nighter).

We had a semi-formal night on Jewel on New Year's Eve. I still don't know what they meant - I think that, because we embarked on NYE, they wanted to give an out to anybody whose luggage hadn't arrived. DH wore his tux and I wore my long dress. As I recall, it was the only "dress up" night on the cruise (a 5-nighter).

Thank you very much! What you and DH wore is what I've seen on "formal nights," but it's reassuring to know I won't need to pack something extra for the semi formal nights.

Archived