Clothing question

lenquixote66

It's not going to be warm outside on the water. I would suggest packing layers. I don't think you will need shorts. October on LI can have a great swing in temps as you know. NE & CA won't be hot by that time. You can pack some short sleeve shirts if you want. Layers will be your best bet.

It gets colder the more north you get. We boarded in Jeans and a long sleeve top and I had a body warmer. By the time we got to Bar Harbour I was in a fleece and by canada the waterproof windproof layer went on. The weather was unusual as in Portland we could wear just a tshirt or shirt.

We live in Canada, but spend every Canadian Thanksgiving (mid-October) in upper New York State in the Finger Lakes. Other than last year for the prior 5 years in a row we have been out on Seneca Lake in a boat wearing shorts, because it had been so unseasonably warm. Last year, however, it was back to more seasonal temps where we needed jeans and a light jacket. So, I would suggest you take a variety of clothing from shorts to warmer clothes you can layer, as you never know what you will get that time of year.

I live in Maine. I'll be doing a NE/CA cruise in a couple of weeks (early Sept). I plan to bring ONE pair of shorts "just in case". I'll bring some tshirts that I can wear under my light weight polar fleece. Same with some tanks to wear under my blouses during the day. Plan to layer. That's a tshirt/tank, blouse/shirt, polar fleece/jacket. That way you can adjust as needed during the day. Mornings will be quite chilly. Afternoons can be warm if you get full sun. Late afternoon, when the sun dips, it will get colder very fast. On the water it WILL be cold. It's cold out there in July! If you're used to warm temps, throw in a hat and gloves. Don't forget a rain coat. We get misty, foggy days that linger... not much fun if you're wet and cold.

I will be on a cruise to New England/Canada in October . Should I be packing long or short sleeve shirts for the ship ? Do people bring shorts for the ship for indoor activities ?

We went to Boston, Salem and NH and Maine in June one year. We had to buy warmer clothes. Temps were in the low 60s. Short sleeve shirts and shorts might cut it in the middle of the summer in NE, but probably not in October.

Archived