'dam Tiles

Vict0riann

Yes, the ones enclosed with this card have been designed by him.

We met him recently on the Prinsendam and he was gracious enough to give a little talk to the passengers. Very interesting chap!

He said he is not currently working on any new tiles. :(

Hello guys!

Many thanks your kind complements.

I worked with HAL for almost a year on various ideas and designs for the new Mariner tiles.

Each tile is based on a painting I have done of a ship of that class. When the selection was made it was then up to the artists at Royal Goedewaagen to simplify my painting and design the outside decoration.

Generally it was felt that the style of decoration had to follow patterns from before... or the collection would look very mismatched.

I am guilty of the idea to have a tile for each class of ship. eg the STATENDAM respresents the S Class... and the names of all four S class ships are on the tile. For the next series it might be an image of say... VEENDAM to respresent the Class etc etc.

Stephen

Hi --

I'm a three-star; just came off a three week cruise. Going on another in October. What's a tile?

ZU

They're a wonderful keepsake sometimes given out at the Mariner lunch or left in your cabin. We skip the lunch and last time didn't get them left in the cabin so we went to the front desk and got them.

Hi --

I'm a three-star; just came off a three week cruise. Going on another in October. What's a tile?

ZU

If you are a 3 star Mariner -- you should have been getting tiles that look this -- coasters with different ships, etc. on the front side:

2012_marinerTILE_01_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_02_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_03_sm.jpg2012_marinerTILE_04_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_05_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_06_sm.jpg

These are the tiles you should have been receiving after your first cruise on HAL.

Hello guys!

I worked with HAL for almost a year on various ideas and designs for the new Mariner tiles.

Each tile is based on a painting I have done of a ship of that class. When the selection was made it was then up to the artists at Royal Goedewaagen to simplify my painting and design the outside decoration.

Generally it was felt that the style of decoration had to follow patterns from before... or the collection would look very mismatched.

I am guilty of the idea to have a tile for each class of ship. eg the STATENDAM respresents the S Class... and the names of all four S class ships are on the tile. For the next series it might be an image of say... VEENDAM to respresent the Class etc etc.

Stephen

They are so much nicer than the previous version they were doing Stephen. Thank you so much;) Loved our Prinsendam tiles :D

Your paintings are always a joy on the ships:D

Loved the story the captain shared on our cruise:D smooth seas to you always:)

My last tile came with this little certificate - and it kind of makes me think that it was designed by Captain Card - but it doesn't actually say that. Anyone know?

P1040306_zpse59a1c2e.jpg

P1040305_zps852bdb00.jpg

Your question was answered as to yes - but you remember that beautiful ship painting that you showed in your review - that is also one of his:D You will find several throughout the different HAL ships:D

Stephen Card's fabulous paintings hang on every HAL ship in companionway. We always enjoy going deck to deck to see each. A true signature of an HAL ship. :) Most of us agree, the ships would not be complete with out Stephen's art.

We've always enjoyed his paintings on the ships, but didn't realize he had been involved with the tiles, too. I guess I had never properly investigated the "Certificate of Authenticity". Will go back and check my Prinsendam and older tiles!

When do the Port Everglades sailaways start up again? I'm missing a fix...:D

We've always enjoyed his paintings on the ships, but didn't realize he had been involved with the tiles, too.

I don't think he was before the current set which started in 2012.

Hi --

To see the old tiles CLICK HERE and then click Tiles on the left side. They used to be left in your cabin but are now given out at the Mariner Brunch.

Love our growing collection of tiles, these last ones are the best of the bunch - very classy and stately. Ours are slowly filling out nightstand tables tops, so the thing we see turning out lights at night are our lovely blue and white tiles.

Hello guys!

Stephen

OMG! How did i miss this! You sneaky little devil! :)

I was looking online to try and buy prints for DH of your work! Do you have a website! Do you know how hard it is to find prints! Im sure you do! Wow. SO awesome.

I feel like I'm in Wayne's world movie! Not worthy!

I would LOVE to come across a Eurodam print. That would be a really great gift for DH for graduating fro his masters program.
Well, that wouldn't be in the book anyway ... it stops with Noordam, 2006.

There's a Eurodam print on ebay "buy it now" for $11.99 + $2.92 s&h

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Art-Work-ms-EURODAM-Cruise-Ship-Holland-America-Line-/390644829549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af43f0d6d

Well, that wouldn't be in the book anyway ... it stops with Noordam, 2006.

There's a Eurodam print on ebay "buy it now" for $11.99 + $2.92 s&h

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Art-Work-ms-EURODAM-Cruise-Ship-Holland-America-Line-/390644829549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af43f0d6d

I saw that, but the book looks amazing. I think the Eurodam one was done later.

On the ebay item, Great piece, but wrong artist! :)

Thanks for looking jtl, ur awesome. :)

I would LOVE to come across a Eurodam print. That would be a really great gift for DH for graduating fro his masters program.

Off topic but please forgive as I'm curious......

Is this an LLM degree? Taxation?

I only ask as you have written here about his profession.

Congratulations to him on his accomplishment.

Archived