Quest question - How to get chosen

I understand everyone can participate but the games I've always seen have 6-10 couples who are out in the center who actually are the ones who run around and earn the points. That's what I'm looking to find out about. How do they choose those couples?

You form your own group (which it appears you already have) and nominate 2 'runners' from the group - they are the ones you see in the centre. They are chosen by the group, not by the activities staff. You'll hear the host ask for 2 volunteers from each group.

Good luck. If the guys in your group want to dance around in bra's I hope they have fun:rolleyes:

My husband did that once during The Quest on our honeymoon and, surprisingly, he wants to participate again. Maybe I should be worried ;) Actually, I think he wants to do it again so he can rope other unsuspecting guys into it ... :p

On the bigger ships, get there early and get down in front or just run. On the smaller ships you can just form your own group so it really depends on the ship. My husband was determined to be our leader on FOS and when they asked he just immediately hopped up and went down in front. Took them a little while to get w female volunteer. If your roll call takes over a section of the seating on the larger ships it should be herd.

He has decided he needs to learn how to dance before our next cruise because he is always a fail at the end ;)

I've been to The Quest several times and, for the next cruise, have volunteered on our roll call to organize a Quest Team. We've assembled a good sized group. Now how do we ensure we get "chosen" to participate?

Depending on what ship you are on-get there early and sit by the tables right by the dance floor. You want to be able to get your "quest" fast to get the most points. Will have 2 team captains.

If you are on a bigger ship like Liberty, they make sections of the room and each section is a team. Then they ask for 2 people-one male, one female to be team captains.

I actually like quest better in the smaller venues-easier to keep the little ones out and it gets much more "interesting" than the bigger venues like Studio B where it is almost impossible to keep the kids out. In the smaller venues, a lot of times they actually "card" younger people to make sure no one under 18 gets in.

This past March I was selected by the cruise director for the quest. I was sitting front row and laughing and cutting up before the show. Was also wearing bright yellow pants so maybe that's how I set out. Nevertheless just look like you're having a fun time and I guarantee you'll get selected.

image.jpg.28a4bd2139830adf82bdebb24af15911.jpg

My DD (now age 24) was chosen as a captain on AOS a few cruises ago. It's held in the ice rink so there's room for a lot of people.

Her trick was to get to know the cruise director's staff. We tend to do a lot of the ship activities (trivia, kareoke, bingo, etc) so by the last night when the Quest was held, they knew us by name.

We arrived early and sat in the first row. As soon as they asked for volunteers, she raised her hand and was the first one picked.

They split teams up by areas in the arena and we didn't win but we sure had fun!

We have done Quest five times. As others have said, on smaller ships just show up and sit together. You make your own team. On ships with an ice-skating rink, the entire arena will be broken into sections and your group will be part of a much larger section group. On Freedom, there were designated "Runners/Captains" for each team. The group helped prepare them. It is a very different experience depending on the venue in which it is held. I do not know how it is handled on Oasis class.

Thanks for everyone's input. We've done The Quest in both small venues and in the ice arena and get how the teams work and how the room is divided...understand get that everyone can participate at some level...yada, yada, yada. Best answer to my original question "how to get picked to be one of the runners (although I don't think I originally referred to them as such) seems to have been given by sellwingri - get to know the cruise director's staff, get there early, sit in the front, and raise your hand. We'll see how that goes :D

I've been to The Quest several times and, for the next cruise, have volunteered on our roll call to organize a Quest Team. We've assembled a good sized group. Now how do we ensure we get "chosen" to participate?

You "choose" to participate if you've got what they're asking for in a given "quest" during "The Quest".

Thanks for everyone's input. We've done The Quest in both small venues and in the ice arena and get how the teams work and how the room is divided...understand get that everyone can participate at some level...yada, yada, yada. Best answer to my original question "how to get picked to be one of the runners (although I don't think I originally referred to them as such) seems to have been given by sellwingri - get to know the cruise director's staff, get there early, sit in the front, and raise your hand. We'll see how that goes :D

Just out of curiosity, which ship are you sailing? For someone who's been to The Quest in both venues (lounge and Studio B), I found this to be an odd question, unless you've arrived while The Quest was already in progress. They explain all the rules at the start of the event. Sometimes they even show a video.

In the lounge, they may ask for teams of 6-8 with at least two members of the opposite sex on the team. You can have more, but they only have 8 medals to give your team if you win. They may ask for a male and female team captain, which you would pick amongst your group.

In Studio B, your team is the section you are sitting in. Sometimes the section spans from one set of stairs to the next. Other times they may subdivide those sections in half. Your team captains will be the only ones getting prizes if your team wins.

Unless the Cruise Director, Activities Manager, or whoever is running the Quest asks specifically for the Team Captain, you may grab the Team Number card from the captain and run over to show whatever it is they asked for if you have it. Just make sure they can see the number on the card right side up. If they see the back of the card, they don't know which team to award the points.

Good luck and have fun!

Remember, whatever happens at The Quest could end up on YouTube.;)

I actually like quest better in the smaller venues-easier to keep the little ones out and it gets much more "interesting" than the bigger venues like Studio B where it is almost impossible to keep the kids out. In the smaller venues, a lot of times they actually "card" younger people to make sure no one under 18 gets in.

I also like the smaller venues because you have to form your own team or join one. It's easier to meet people this way.

An interesting story about "the little one" at a Quest on the Monarch. There was a 10 year old boy in the lounge. The Activities Manager asked the parents of the boy if they were okay with having him there several times, and that the cruiseline would not be responsible for the years of therapy he may need afterward. The parents were okay with it, and the boy stayed and had a great time watching.

Anyway, it was a fun Quest. My team came in 2nd place. I enjoyed it more than the times the team I was on came in 1st place during Studio B Quests.

You "choose" to participate if you've got what they're asking for in a given "quest" during "The Quest".

Just out of curiosity, which ship are you sailing? For someone who's been to The Quest in both venues (lounge and Studio B), I found this to be an odd question, unless you've arrived while The Quest was already in progress. They explain all the rules at the start of the event. Sometimes they even show a video.

In the lounge, they may ask for teams of 6-8 with at least two members of the opposite sex on the team. You can have more, but they only have 8 medals to give your team if you win. They may ask for a male and female team captain, which you would pick amongst your group.

In Studio B, your team is the section you are sitting in. Sometimes the section spans from one set of stairs to the next. Other times they may subdivide those sections in half. Your team captains will be the only ones getting prizes if your team wins.

Unless the Cruise Director, Activities Manager, or whoever is running the Quest asks specifically for the Team Captain, you may grab the Team Number card from the captain and run over to show whatever it is they asked for if you have it. Just make sure they can see the number on the card right side up. If they see the back of the card, they don't know which team to award the points.

Good luck and have fun!

How hard is it to believe that I don't remember how someone got to be the runner? Jeepers...just because I've attended a couple of times doesn't mean I know every detail of how the game is set up. They ARE held late and we DO usually drink first ;) We have a group of about 10 people who are all going together. We'd like to have folks from our group be the runners for our section of the audience vs. just being in the crowd this time. That's it.

As an experienced gentleman quest medalist in a smaller venue..........

Sit in the front :cool:

Have your wife volunteer you loudly :rolleyes:

Act like a complete fool and love every minute of it :p

Smile for the pictures at the end :eek:

Enjoy explaining to your nine year old exactly how daddy got the nice medal. Show him the pictures if you're willing to accept blame for future therapy.:p

Seriously, if you are early, at the front, and jump to volunteer yourself as a captain I don't know how the cruise director's staff could turn you down. The only reason I think they would may be is if you show up wearing extra clothes and have a big "goodie bag" on your person. Keep it spontaneous and fun!:D

BTW, you may find a picture or two in my cruise pictures link below....

Just out of curiosity, which ship are you sailing?

Good luck and have fun!

How hard is it to believe that I don't remember how someone got to be the runner? Jeepers...just because I've attended a couple of times doesn't mean I know every detail of how the game is set up. They ARE held late and we DO usually drink first ;) We have a group of about 10 people who are all going together. We'd like to have folks from our group be the runners for our section of the audience vs. just being in the crowd this time. That's it.

Still curious, which ship or class of ship are you sailing? Just wondering if you're going to be doing the Lounge Quest or Studio B Quest.

It's good that you get a few drinks in you before the Quest begins, especially if you're looking to participate.;)

Please let us know how your team does.

(Thanks for filling me in on the "odd" part. For me, "odd" = something I can't explain. Makes sense now, no longer an odd question.):cool:

Depending on what ship you are on-get there early and sit by the tables right by the dance floor. You want to be able to get your "quest" fast to get the most points. Will have 2 team captains.

If you are on a bigger ship like Liberty, they make sections of the room and each section is a team. Then they ask for 2 people-one male, one female to be team captains.

I'm with you. Enjoyed Quest so much on the smaller ships. Hate Quest when its held in Studio B. There are so many other better places to hold it even on the big ships. Studio B just isn't condusive for audience participation

I'm not sure where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure the Quest age suggestion is 16 minimum, not 18.

I've done it on both large (Allure) and small (Enchantment) ships. On Allure, you become team captain by getting there a bit early, sitting in the front row right next to the opening to the ice skating rink, and jumping onto the floor as soon as they call for volunteers. Worked both times for me and my wife.

On Enchantment, we basically made our own team of 8 and there were no captains. You participated as much or as little as you wished.

Loved it every time, regardless of venue. It's just so much fun.

Rob

PS - I'm holding the purse up high in the first photo, then in the yellow shirt making a human ball in the second photo

769887246_Quest-Enchantment2008.jpg.0569eb6903a1f8e2d09ca72aba1f8fcd.jpg

380311621_Quest-Allure2013.jpg.74f721d9f063d588c73137b114ccb56b.jpg

Still curious, which ship or class of ship are you sailing? Just wondering if you're going to be doing the Lounge Quest or Studio B Quest.

It's good that you get a few drinks in you before the Quest begins, especially if you're looking to participate.;)

Please let us know how your team does.

(Thanks for filling me in on the "odd" part. For me, "odd" = something I can't explain. Makes sense now, no longer an odd question.):cool:

As you can see from my signature, our next cruises are Freedom and Jewel. It's on the Freedom one that we're organizing a team. I do know that on that class of ship, Quest will be held in Studio B...as it was on Liberty when we last attended The Quest.

As you can see from my signature, our next cruises are Freedom and Jewel. It's on the Freedom one that we're organizing a team. I do know that on that class of ship, Quest will be held in Studio B...as it was on Liberty when we last attended The Quest.

I only noticed your past cruises in your signature as the print in the countdown clocks is tiny.

I've done the Quest in both the Freedom and the Jewel. Even though my team came in 1st place on Freedom, I had more fun and participation on Jewel. Although I had many of the things to offer being asked for on Freedom, so did the team captains and their friends. The only time I got to participate was when I was the only one who could offer the one thing no one else had on my team.

If you're looking to win a Studio B Quest and don't have someone like mpoole3 in your group, find someone like him and sit in their section. if you do have someone like mpoole3, then you've found one of your co-captains.:D Try to sit in the front row or two and near the aisle.

Richard Spacey should be your CD and I've been to a Quest with him on the Explorer. On my Freedom sailing Drew Devine was CD and the Quest was held on Thursday, the day we called on Grand Cayman Island.

Archived