5:2 Diet, Anyone try it?

mamaboss

Hello all, I have been reading your thread with some interest. Frankly I think cutting calories drastically for two days doesn't sound all that hard! I might have to pick up this book and learn about it.

While I do believe dramatic weight loss is not healthy, I believe carrying around extra weight is even more dangerous. This past Spring I decided to try a medically supervised weight loss plan. I ended up getting a couple of very valuable tests done as part of the plan: a V02 rate, (determines your best fat-burning and aerobic zones) and RMR -- resting metabolism rate.

Turns out I need approximately 2340 calories a day just to get through life. Nutritionists look at this as a weekly number rather than daily... so if you multiply 2340 kcals x 7 days = 16,380. But since I'd like to lose weight, I need to do some more math.

There are approximately 3500 kcals in a pound, so you subtract 3500 from 16,380... divide by 7 and come up with your daily calorie intake = 1840. If you want to aim for losing 2 pounds in a week, you would subtract 7,000 (2x3500) from the 16,380 and that comes to 1340 calories per day.

Knowing that, I don't see anything wrong with cutting calories by a big amount two days out of the week, and eating within proper range the remainder of the week. As you can see, if you're looking for a weekly weight loss, you should look at a weekly calorie total. I'm sure that is the premise behind this.

I am seriously considering giving this a try!

Ann

Hi Texasann! I would recommend you watch the BBC documentary on TV. I did that but was so interested in the facts I also purchased the book from Amazon thinking I would learn more. I didn't . Book really was a waste if you saw Dr. Mosley's documentary on TV. If you want to watch it goggle the 5:2 diet and/or Dr. Michael Mosley and you should find it. Very interesting how it all ties in together. The book does much repeating of itself and offers nothing you don't get from the show. If I still have it I will post the link for you. I think this is working for me because I need to splurge once in awhile and on a 1200 daily diet or low carb or whatever I can't splurge and still lose weight, on this I can. I know myself and it is much easier for me to go 24 hours with 500 calories or less 2 days a week. If we can be of help or answer any questions, just ask. Cindy:)

Hi Texasann! I would recommend you watch the BBC documentary on TV. I did that but was so interested in the facts I also purchased the book from Amazon thinking I would learn more. I didn't . Book really was a waste if you saw Dr. Mosley's documentary on TV. If you want to watch it goggle the 5:2 diet and/or Dr. Michael Mosley and you should find it. Very interesting how it all ties in together. The book does much repeating of itself and offers nothing you don't get from the show. If I still have it I will post the link for you. I think this is working for me because I need to splurge once in awhile and on a 1200 daily diet or low carb or whatever I can't splurge and still lose weight, on this I can. I know myself and it is much easier for me to go 24 hours with 500 calories or less 2 days a week. If we can be of help or answer any questions, just ask. Cindy:)

I agree, and I found drinking my diet cordial during my fast day yesterday helped a lot. I didn't feel as headachy after my day at work. I had a very nice warm Thai beef salad(from sumo salads) at only 236 calories for dinner a real highlight for the day....now I just have to make it through the weekend and not sabotage my efforts so far. Michelle

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One week in, weighed in this morning and recording a 1.2kg loss for the week, that converts to approximately 2.64 pounds, I am happy with that. Now for week 2, it helps that at the end of next week I go on my month long European holiday. Michelle

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Started 5:2 last Monday & lost 3.4 lbs...I'm shocked :eek:

I thought I'd gain weight when I started eating normally after fasting on Monday & Tuesday, but I dropped actually dropped a small amount each day.

I look at this as a life style change. Once I hit my goal weight, I'll do maintenance for the health benefits.

Patti

Congratulations Patti!

I have been on this program 7 weeks today and have lost 12 pounds. It really isn't difficult and like you, I think I can continue this as a lifestyle. It is so much easier to severely restrict on 2 days and eat normally the rest of the time than to try to restrict a little EVERY day (been trying that for 20 years and have only gotten fatter :().

I see that you did BTB fast days. Didn't you find that difficult? I do Sun and Wed usually. I am quite hungry by the time supper rolls around on fast days and keep thinking "I can eat whatever I want tomorrow". I don't know if I could face another fast day right away.

Keep up whatever works for you. Judith

I tried the 5:2 diet last year with some success, but found the 500 calories very restricting and not something I could do long term. I didn't buy the book, just read about the diet online and in magazines.

Recently I read about something similar in Reader's Digest--they have a book about it, that I have not bought. Basically it allows 650 calories (for women) on 2 non-consecutive days a week and 1500 on the other days.

I've been doing this for about two weeks and have lost 7 pounds. I started at 142 and am now 135, so that's a very good loss for someone who is not that heavy to start with. I realize some of this is water weight, of course, but was very happy to see a 2 lb. loss the second week.

I find the 650 calories much easier to live with than 500. That extra 150 calories makes a big difference! Also, 1500 calories seems almost decadent after the low days, and I even have trouble getting that many in. Most days I run more in the 1350 range.

So far I actually find myself looking forward to the low days and also find it kind of fun to figure out meals that I like and that have good nutrition. I even have a snack or two. So far I tend to eat similar meals on the low days.

We'll see how this goes, but as of now I think I could do this long-term. Also, I have not been exercising much as I am recovering from a badly sprained ankle, but have done some not-too-fast walking and light weights.

Just a suggestion/alternative of the same type of idea, to try if you want.

Actually, men do lose faster than women because of their increased muscle mass compared to women. Muscle is more metabolically active and burns more calories than fat just sitting there doing nothing. I agree if either sex then adds even a little strength training, there will be more weight lost but pound for pound, men burn more calories than women.

This is not an extreme diet. We are consuming 1000 to 1500 less calories on 2 days a week only. That is only 2000 - 3000 less calories per week (not 10,000). It takes 3500 LESS calories to lose 1 pound of fat which is a reasonable rate of weight loss per week. We're not talking Biggest Loser rates of weight loss which are extreme. This is more like Weight Watchers rates which remains one of the most highly recommended diets in the world.

We are all trying to lose weight and thereby be healthier in this thread. We all know the mantra, "eat less, exercise more". Some programs work well for some folks and are disasters for others. We are just trying to support each other.

My point is that not all men have a lot of muscle mass. I guarantee the average man of the same height who is obese has less muscle mass than I do at 24% body fat. You can't get that number without also having muscle. I workout two hours a day, some days three. That's split between an hour of cardio and an hour or more of either strength training and/or yoga. I have a lot of muscle mass--much more than a sedentary man.

I eat 1100 calories a day PLUS my exercise calories, which can be anything from 800 to 1200 or more in a single day. I eat clean with only whole grains, beans, chicken breast, fish, very limited beef, vegetables, fruits, dairy and eggs. I watch my macros and try to keep them at or very close to 45% carbs, 35% protein, and 20% healthy fats (mostly olive oil, avocado, fish, and a few egg yolks a week.) I am still losing weight at the rate of about ~3/4 pound a week, I have a few more pounds of visceral fat to lose. At this point I don't weigh myself very often, it's all about what my body fat percentage is--I'm shooting for 22%.

I NEVER go hungry, if anything on some days I have a hard time eating all the calories I should, mostly because I don't eat breads, fried foods, sweets (except fruit) and other crap that has no nutritional value and packs in the calories. It's not really about eating less but making healthy food choices where you'll get the maximum amount of nutrition for a healthy number of calories.

As far as my comment about losing too fast, five pounds a week is too fast unless you are morbidly obese and under a doctors supervision. That said, if on two days a week you are cutting out 1000 calories on top of already eating a deficit of your daily TDEE on the other days, it's not healthy. If you are eating a neutral TDEE amount in daily calories and cutting out 1000-1500 calories on two days a week, it's fine--but that is not what some of you appear to be doing.

Edited by ducklite

On feed days during the week I stay about 12-1400 calories and walk 45-60 minutes 3-4 times a week. Good luck! Cindy

This got me curious. If you are watching calories anyway, why not just go to 10-1200 a day, and not bother with the fasting?

I'm working on losing weight too, so I understand how tough it can be.

Daily calorie restriction does not work for me. I just feel deprived and cranky.

I have tried Weight Watchers on and off for the past 35 years (which is basically daily calorie restriction) and had some success in my 20's, a weight loss I was able to maintain into my 30's. Unfortunately since turning 45 and quitting smoking, I gained 40 pounds which I have been struggling with for more than 10 years.

After 5 years (2005-2010) and a lot of money, the most I ever lost on WW was 15 pounds - which I regained by Jan of this year.

On the 5:2 diet I have now lost 13 pounds in 8 weeks. I have 2 days a week of severe calorie restriction and then eat whatever I want the rest of the week. I do track calories on the other days but I don't restrict what I eat on them. So far it is very do-able for me.

I recommend you read Dr. Michael Mosley's book The Fast Diet or watch the BBC show he did on YouTube. There is more and more research suggesting periodic fasting or severe calorie restriction has many health benefits, not just weight loss.

The thing is, different diet and exercise strategies work for different people. I have tried Atkins, 8-Hour, 17-Day, grapefruit and too-many-to-remember diets.

It is early days so I don't know if this will continue to work for me but for now it is.

Good Luck to you in your weight-loss journey Brad. Judith

Good morning everyone!

Brad, Jpn said it better than I could have. I need to know I can eat whatever 5 days a week. Simple as that, dumb as that may sound. I am working on incorporating veggies & fruit as I just don't care to eat them. Works for me.

Happy eating everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the documentary and read the book. I already fast for my faith, so I was already familiar. It's nice to know science is now proving that it's good for you. In three weeks I have loss 6 lbs and in two weeks my husband has loss 11. My second week I guessed at my dinner calories and only loss a few ounces. So, now we do a low cal breakfast (oatmeal or 2 boiled eggs), water with 4c (no cals) and sugar free gum until dinner. Dinner for now is healthy choice or lean cuisine so we know our calories for sure. My cholesterol has been too high for a while and my body fat too high. So I'm interested in a long term results in my overall health. I don't feel it is really a diet, but a change in how we view food and hunger. I tried weight watchers and atkins, neither worked for me. This is something I can sustain long term. Once I get to my goal weight, I'll switch to 1 day a week.

Best wishes to everyone trying it.

I watched the documentary and read the book. I already fast for my faith, so I was already familiar. It's nice to know science is now proving that it's good for you. In three weeks I have loss 6 lbs and in two weeks my husband has loss 11. My second week I guessed at my dinner calories and only loss a few ounces. So, now we do a low cal breakfast (oatmeal or 2 boiled eggs), water with 4c (no cals) and sugar free gum until dinner. Dinner for now is healthy choice or lean cuisine so we know our calories for sure. My cholesterol has been too high for a while and my body fat too high. So I'm interested in a long term results in my overall health. I don't feel it is really a diet, but a change in how we view food and hunger. I tried weight watchers and atkins, neither worked for me. This is something I can sustain long term. Once I get to my goal weight, I'll switch to 1 day a week.

Best wishes to everyone trying it.

If you are only having a 300 calories dozen dinner and 140 calorie breakfast with four cups of water you are eating way to calories and severely dehydrating your body. That's heart damage waiting to happen. Seriously unhealthy.

4c is not 4 cups. 4c is like crystal light. It flavors the water. I would suggest watching the documentary before making any judgments. The studies show fasting contributes to lower risk of several diseases, including cancer, lower cholesterol & decrease risk of alheizmers, to name a few benefits. Two low calorie days a week has been proven scientifically to be beneficial. The author did a lot of research and also went through the same process. All his blood work was improved after doing this, including the indicator for breast, colon & prostate cancer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
It's just another fad diet. Learn to eat clean and maintain roughly the same number of daily calories. The only way to keep the weight off long term is to make a lifestyle change that doesn't involve dieting on the latest greatest fad.

Ducklite I am sure you mean well and I know that we have all had drilled into us that we must eat a certain amount of calories or dreadful things will happen, however the most wonderful thing about us humans is our capacity to learn.

Sometimes when we keep looking for answers we find that what we had always believed to be true; isn't. For instance we have long been urged to make complex carbs a substantial part of our diet and avoid saturated fat like the plague; both of these 'truths' has compelling evidence against it now, as we learn we should move on.

The case for intermittent fasting is a very convincing one, there is a lot of information on the internet including 'Eat, Fast And Live Longer' which is available on youtube.

I have needed to lose weight for a long while and this method of dieting was suggested to me by my doctor. I have so far lost over fifty pounds and am about half a stone from my goal weight. One of the things I like so much is how easy it is to incorporate into my life; social events are easily accommodated by switching around your fast days and if the worse comes to the worse and you only manage one fast day in one week it's not the end of the world. When Dr Mosley reached his goal weight he dropped down to fasting just one day a week, if fasting suits you this would be an effortless habit to maintain. Dr Mosley continues to fast firstly because he wants to maintain his weight loss but also because he wants to maintain his health.

The argument for fasting for its health benefits alone is so convincing that my son (a final year medical student) and his partner's father (a medical doctor) both fast to obtain the health benefits, despite neither of them requiring to lose an ounce of weight.

Fasting will not be for everyone but I believe it is utterly unreasonable to discount it as a fad and I am not sure what current scientific evidence you have based this on?

To all of you who may be interested please view the program on youtube, do your research and make your own informed decision if you want to give it a try. If you do I wish you well.

Karen:)

Just thought I would "weigh in "here today. I originally replied to Mamaboss who started this thread about 3 months ago. I had just started the 5:2 WOE (because it really is a way of eating, not a diet) 2 weeks before. I have continued and have lost 17 pounds so far. It is truly revolutionary and I feel I can continue it for life. No other program has been even close to this successful for me.

Through a great UK based forum (5:2 Fast Diet forum), I have found links to much research about the benefits of intermittent fasting on blood lipids, blood pressure, inflammation as well as weight loss.

I have also read about the likely link of the recommendation in the late seventies of a very low fat diet to combat heart disease as the cause of the current obesity epidemic. The politics of it are fascinating. It will become more and more evident that sugar and carbs are the real dietary demons, not fat.

Sweden has just published their new nutrition guidelines (similar to the Food Pyramid) and have put protein and fat (saturated fat, yes) at the base and recommend people restrict sugar and other white carbs. The committee studying the research felt the evidence was too compelling and the early studies that led us down the low fat path were seriously flawed.

Intermittent fasting is a safe and healthy lifestyle. Of course it's not for everyone (children, pregnant women, Type 1 diabetes, serious illness, etc)

And it's not always easy. But if you fall off the wagon, you can just get back on. No special foods, no meetings, no fees...it's free. You don't even need to buy the book as the principles of it are in many places on the Internet. Like PinkUk says, have a look and make up your own mind.

I didn't start 5:2 because of an upcoming cruise but I now plan to be 20 - 30 lb lighter when it comes around in Jan. because of it. Judith

Here's an update on my version of the 5:2 diet. As I posted earlier, I am eating 650 calories on two non-consecutive days and 1500 on the others. I am not exercising much because of a sprained ankle.

I started at about 142; possibly more as I forgot to weigh before I started, but I can tell when I'm well over 140) At my six week weigh-in I was at 129. I am very, very happy with this, as it has been quite a while since I've been below 130.

I am losing 1-1.5 pounds a week, which I think is great for someone my size. I'm 5'3", small-boned and 68. I stayed even one week, when my sister was visiting from California and we ate out a lot and had big family dinners.

A couple of times the low days have been a little tough, but it's mostly psychological- I'm rarely really hungry. The high days almost seem like too much food. I am eating mostly very healthy, but do have some treats. I eat almost every calorie I'm allowed!

I still think that this is a WOE that I can continue without feeling really deprived, especially if I am able to maintain on an easier schedule. It's so wonderful to be able to wear clothes I haven't worn in years.

Would it be better to just eat moderately every day? Possibly, though I do think there is convincing evidence that moderate fasting can be good,; however, I cannot seem to stick to an every day low calorie diet long enough to lose the weight. I recognize this may just be a failing of mine, or not how my personality/body works. This modified 5:2 diet is working for me; it won't be for everyone.

Dear all,

Congratulations on finding a lifestyle you can live with and not a diet. I think that a lifestyle change is very hard to do; a diet is a limited time food aberration that tends to fail. you are all finding something you can live with.

I am a calorie counter with a differerence. I ( about 5 years ago) worked out my calories for the week made the weekends, when I socialise most, my high days and mid week my low days doing an gradual build up and down. I am also quite flexible and change when needed.

My goal was to be the weight I was at 25 when I was 55. It took me 12 month to loose the 25-7 lb but I did it and have kept the weight off. I just turned 60.

I was 5ft & 128 and am now 102 with a body fat of 23.6. and bmi of 19.9.and waist to hip ratio of.74.

As well as counting my calories I did Aquafit ( I hated exercise and found this was fun) to start, added in walking (can cover 10km in 1hr 40) and finally weights and body shaping.

Yes, as you all know, it was very hard work at first, but now it is a way of life. I don't always track my calories, after a few months you are well aware of what you are eating, and I will allow myself to miss classes, my body tells me when I am losing tone.....at the end of a cruise it is begging to get back in the water.

Sorry, I got rather carried away there, All I want to say is keep up the good work and if you can fit in walking (cardio), weights (strength) and water or floor exercise (flexability & balance) you will reach your goals even healthier.

Cheers, h.

Dear all,

Congratulations on finding a lifestyle you can live with and not a diet. I think that a lifestyle change is very hard to do; a diet is a limited time food aberration that tends to fail. you are all finding something you can live with.

I am a calorie counter with a differerence. I ( about 5 years ago) worked out my calories for the week made the weekends, when I socialise most, my high days and mid week my low days doing an gradual build up and down. I am also quite flexible and change when needed.

My goal was to be the weight I was at 25 when I was 55. It took me 12 month to loose the 25-7 lb but I did it and have kept the weight off. I just turned 60.

I was 5ft & 128 and am now 102 with a body fat of 23.6. and bmi of 19.9.and waist to hip ratio of.74.

As well as counting my calories I did Aquafit ( I hated exercise and found this was fun) to start, added in walking (can cover 10km in 1hr 40) and finally weights and body shaping.

Yes, as you all know, it was very hard work at first, but now it is a way of life. I don't always track my calories, after a few months you are well aware of what you are eating, and I will allow myself to miss classes, my body tells me when I am losing tone.....at the end of a cruise it is begging to get back in the water.

Sorry, I got rather carried away there, All I want to say is keep up the good work and if you can fit in walking (cardio), weights (strength) and water or floor exercise (flexability & balance) you will reach your goals even healthier.

Cheers, h.

Hi H,

I woke up this morning to find your post, thank you it is a really positive message. I believe the type of eating pattern you adhear to is sometimes called calorie cycling and it makes a lot of sense to me just like intermittent fasting it is, as you say a lifestyle change which allows for real life and it is therefore realistic to continue long term. Like you I was motivated by a birthday with a zero on the end; I didn't hit my goal weight by my birthday but I was 50lbs lighter. :D

I consider myself quite lucky because my elder son who qualifies as a doctor this coming summer is really into health and fitness and he reads loads of scientific studies which would probably be a bit beyond me without his explanation. He is an advocate of the Paleo lifestyle which is not for me as I'm a really strict vegetarian. I have however tried to limit my carb consumption to some extent, as a vegetarian it is so easy to fall into the trap of eating way too much carbohydrate.

He has encouraged me to take up high intensity interval training which together with fasting and restricting carbohydrate is supposed to have a positive impact on insulin ( and therefore on ones weight and well being) Dr Mosley presented another program called The Truth About Exercise which is well worth a look at and was really interesting. I am in danger I know of sounding like a Mosley groupie but I appreciate that he tries to find a way that us mere mortals can improve our health, it may not be perfect but if it can be permanently incorporated into our life it's so much better than the perfect protocol which we cannot maintain. Your fitness regimen sounds very balanced, I have put a pedometer on my Christmas list as increasing my general activity level is my next aim.

Thank you again for your inspirational post, many illnesses are literally voluntary and like you I have no intention of giving in to old age or ill health.

Best wishes and good luck to all.

Karen :)

• 1 month later...

Just want to post an update in this thread started by Mamaboss last August.

I had just started the 5:2 diet (a.k.a Fast Diet) at that time and have been following it since. It is not so popular in North America but is big in the UK, Europe and Australia. There is an amazing forum in the UK which has been very supportive ("5:2 Fast Diet forum" not the official Fast Diet forum although that is quite good too)

I am sailing on Oasis of the Seas in < 2 days and have lost.....drumroll.....22 pounds!!! I feel great, am at the lowest weight in over 15 years (still have pounds to lose) and will continue on this WOE, hopefully for life. Oh, and I have not exercised a bit (not proud of that, plan to start soon). Just saying...

I suggest looking into intermittent fasting as a weight control plan. (The Fast Diet, Every Other Day Diet, etc. there are many books and sites out there). It's not for everyone but the science of the benefits are real. And it's not that hard.

Good luck everyone, I'm off to sail away :):cool:

Congrats JPN!! That is wonderful! Lots of evidence to support this WOE. You are one of the success stories! I lost 12 Lbs then started not paying attention to the up day calories and you can imagine what happened!:eek: I am now learning about the good for your body foods i wouldn't even try before. Since eating better foods i have lost 7 Lbs and will use what i learned along with the 5:2 diet next week. I will also report back in about a month. Again, CONGRATS and have a great cruise!