Tricks, Tips & Advice for my first Cunard cruise?

lovely_serenity

Woaah, these are so cool! :) the pictures are so pretty! && Whitemarsh is a guy?

Whitemarsh is Whitemarsh. On the internet, anyone can be whatever they want to be, as no doubt you are aware. To my way of thinking, the important aspect of this forum is that posters have an honest interest in Cunard and ocean voyages in general. Whitemarsh has clearly demonstrated that interest. And while we often have disagreements, most if not all posters on this forum care about Cunard, without ulterior motives. And those that endeavour to work the system, are eventually revealed.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

... On the internet, anyone can be whatever they want to be, ...

Salacia

Also on the internet nobody knows you're a dog. But on Queen Mary 2, if your cabin is on Deck 12, starboard and way aft, everybody knows.

Whitemarsh is Whitemarsh. On the internet, anyone can be whatever they want to be, as no doubt you are aware. To my way of thinking, the important aspect of this forum is that posters have an honest interest in Cunard and ocean voyages in general. Whitemarsh has clearly demonstrated that interest. And while we often have disagreements, most if not all posters on this forum care about Cunard, without ulterior motives. And those that endeavour to work the system, are eventually revealed.

Salacia

Sounds a bit like the documentary Catfish.

Also on the internet nobody knows you're a dog. But on Queen Mary 2, if your cabin is on Deck 12, starboard and way aft, everybody knows.

Hi pmb. :) You referenced on of my most favourite drawings (cartoon, if you prefer). It would be a copyright violation to post that drawing, but here is a link that might be of interest (twenty years after that drawing was published in the New Yorker): http://michaelmaslin.com/inkspill/tag/on-the-internet-nobody-knows-youre-a-dog/

Cheers,

Salacia

I enjoyed revisiting those, thanks for posting the links. :)

Shh, that's one of those secrets that only an experienced Cunarder would know!:cool:

Ha ha :D

Hi pmb. :) You referenced on of my most favourite drawings (cartoon, if you prefer). It would be a copyright violation to post that drawing, but here is a link that might be of interest (twenty years after that drawing was published in the New Yorker): http://michaelmaslin.com/inkspill/tag/on-the-internet-nobody-knows-youre-a-dog/

Cheers,

Salacia

Yes, Salacia, everyone's favorite internet cartoon, I think. By Peter Steiner, The New Yorker of July 5, 1993. Happy 20th anniversary, dog!

I enjoyed revisiting those, thanks for posting the links. :)

Ha ha :D

You welcome....enjoyed seeing them again myself.

Whitemarsh is Whitemarsh..... To my way of thinking, the important aspect of this forum is that posters have an honest interest in Cunard and ocean voyages in general. Whitemarsh has clearly demonstrated that interest. And while we often have disagreements, most if not all posters on this forum care about Cunard-Salacia

I agree. That is what makes this forum so special. ;)

"Whitemarsh is Whitemarsh" .....and on the whole this forum is the better because of that.

The fact he also has a fabulous sense of fashion is a bonus.:D

Salacia, Thank you for linking to the dog cartoon.:) One of the all time greats. Can't believe it has been 20 years.:eek:

best regards,

seasidegal

Edited by seasidegal
because my fingers type faster than my mind thinks.

Question! *puts hand up*

Are there any secrets on board that only an experienced Cunarder would know?

Oh yes - definitely. There are many many secrets on board all three ships that are known only to experienced Cunarders. No doubt about that.

J

You welcome....enjoyed seeing them again myself.

I agree. That is what makes this forum so special. ;)

"Whitemarsh is Whitemarsh" ....and on the whole this forum is the better because of that.

best regards,

seasidegal

That's very kind, thanks Seasidegal. But I'm not alone, there are so many interesting, knowledgeable and passionate Cunarders (I refuse to use the term Cunardist) that regularly contribute on here. It does make the "online" Cunard experience very enjoyable. I don't really spend anytime on other boards, so I can't compare, but I doubt they are as friendly and helpful as this one!

I have a question! Can somebody explain or describe the kind of style/types of clothes I'm supposed to wear for these formal night themed Balls? (I just found out our 4 formal themes):

Cunard Ball

Elizabethean Ball

London Ball

Starlight Ball

What should one wear for these? (Like, what you"re "supposed" to wear) ie. colors, types of clothing etc.

(It seems no one has answered me yet o_o)

Hi Lovely-serenity. I have been following your blog and this thread and it is such fun. I am sure you are going to enjoy QE. I believe you may be calling in Cyprus on your cruise in November. Is this correct? I live in Cyprus so I will be watching QE sail into port from my home here in the sun.

I am regular Cunard fan and I have spent many happy times on Cunard Ships over the years. I was on QE maiden world cruise in 2011 and I will be on her world cruise next year.

So to answer your question re themed balls.

I love dressing up for themed balls. I have to say you either like it or you don't. Most people can't be bothered with it. Either claiming lack of luggage space or whatever, but I make the effort as I think it is part of the fun of the cruise. The ships company love it also if one makes the effort.

You don't have to dress up in theme of course and some one else pointed out, just wear the dress code for the evening which is usually formal on themed ball nights.

You don't have to dress up to make yourself look silly. Just a bit of style and imagination goes a long way.

So Cunard Ball. Well, I just dress in a nice long dress for this nothing really unusual.

The Elizabethan Ball I have an Elizabethan style dress, a medieval style. with the big stand up collar and a large hooped skirt crushed velvet and lace. Head dress to match. I have plenty of confidence so I always go for it big time:D

Look in Ebay for things like this. You will be surprised what there is out there.

London Ball is all things reds white and blue. I have seen people go all out and dress as London Pearly Kings and Queens, which is an old dress style of Londoners years ago.

I wear a long blue dress with a scarf as a wrap which is the Union Jack design. I have earring that are Union Jack design and even a pair of shoes and bag. Again look on Ebay for London memorabilia. You can find hats and badges brooches you name it to add a touch to the look.

The Starlight ball is meant to be sort of Hollywood Glam. So plenty of bling, fur or marabou tippets, long evening gloves. Glam all the way. My husband has white tie suit for this evening.

Think of the Oscars, and you get the idea, but you can over do it as it meant to be fun.

If you do dress up you wear your outfit to dinner and after you can go into the Queens room where they have a bit of a parade of peoples outfits, It is all good fun and after plenty of dancing although I go to the Yacht Club for a boogie!

For your other evenings out wear a nice prom dress, trousers and a nice top You are young so anything goes for you

Hope my ideas give you an insight to what you may or may not want to do.

Whatever you decide have a great time.

Here are my London ball shoes.:)

cadiz006.jpg

Edited by maggiemou

...I love dressing up for themed balls. I have to say you either like it or you don't. Most people can't be bothered with it. Either claiming lack of luggage space or whatever, but I make the effort as I think it is part of the fun of the cruise. The ships company love it also if one makes the effort...

Great post and attitude! (And I love the Union Jack shoes!) It's a crying shame that too many people see dressing elegantly as a chore rather than a delight.

Hi Lovely-serenity. I have been following your blog and this thread and it is such fun. I am sure you are going to enjoy QE. I believe you may be calling in Cyprus on your cruise in November. Is this correct? I live in Cyprus so I will be watching QE sail into port from my home here in the sun.

I am regular Cunard fan and I have spent many happy times on Cunard Ships over the years. I was on QE maiden world cruise in 2011 and I will be on her world cruise next year.

cadiz006.jpg

maggiemou,

You make me smile :D. What a joyous attitude you have and what fun you would be to have as a fellow sailing passenger. Reading your QE World Cruise Roll Call is such fun and it is good to see that you will be traveling with many like-minded interesting, fun and caring people. :)

Love the shoes! (the fact you can wear heels that high on a ship is a feat that I could never achieve and envy your ability to do so;))

But I'm not alone, there are so many interesting, knowledgeable and passionate Cunarders (I refuse to use the term Cunardist) that regularly contribute on here. It does make the "online" Cunard experience very enjoyable. I don't really spend anytime on other boards, so I can't compare, but I doubt they are as friendly and helpful as this one!

Very true, Whitemarsh. However, yours was the only name mentioned of all of the interesting, knowledgeable and passionate Cunarders that post here ;). You are also correct about other boards and this one being very special. Not only are most extremely helpful and knowledgeable, but each one has a special trait(s) that make their posts unique and witty and when they are absence that uniqueness is missed. *

"Cunardist" brings to my mind "con artist" which I think the person(s) who originated the term may will be. :rolleyes:

best regards,

seasidegal

* this is my feeble attempt to keep the posters who smoke from abandoning this forum even if they feel they must

abandon Cunard. :-(

Edited by seasidegal
just because.

... "Cunardist" brings to my mind "con artist" which I think the person(s) who originated the term may will be. :rolleyes:

seasidegal

And, in one swift, pithy, and mentally dextrous phrase you have just coined the perfect generic term for Sir Martin.

The consumate Cunardist!

:D:D:D

J

So to answer your question re themed balls.

I love dressing up for themed balls. I have to say you either like it or you don't. Most people can't be bothered with it. Either claiming lack of luggage space or whatever, but I make the effort as I think it is part of the fun of the cruise. The ships company love it also if one makes the effort.

You don't have to dress up in theme of course and some one else pointed out, just wear the dress code for the evening which is usually formal on themed ball nights.

You don't have to dress up to make yourself look silly. Just a bit of style and imagination goes a long way.

So Cunard Ball. Well, I just dress in a nice long dress for this nothing really unusual.

The Elizabethan Ball I have an Elizabethan style dress, a medieval style. with the big stand up collar and a large hooped skirt crushed velvet and lace. Head dress to match. I have plenty of confidence so I always go for it big time

Look in Ebay for things like this. You will be surprised what there is out there.

London Ball is all things reds white and blue. I have seen people go all out and dress as London Pearly Kings and Queens, which is an old dress style of Londoners years ago.

I wear a long blue dress with a scarf as a wrap which is the Union Jack design. I have earring that are Union Jack design and even a pair of shoes and bag. Again look on Ebay for London memorabilia. You can find hats and badges brooches you name it to add a touch to the look.

The Starlight ball is meant to be sort of Hollywood Glam. So plenty of bling, fur or marabou tippets, long evening gloves. Glam all the way. My husband has white tie suit for this evening.

Think of the Oscars, and you get the idea, but you can over do it as it meant to be fun.

If you do dress up you wear your outfit to dinner and after you can go into the Queens room where they have a bit of a parade of peoples outfits, It is all good fun and after plenty of dancing although I go to the Yacht Club for a boogie!

For your other evenings out wear a nice prom dress, trousers and a nice top You are young so anything goes for you

Hope my ideas give you an insight to what you may or may not want to do.

Whatever you decide have a great time.

Here are my London ball shoes.

cadiz006.jpg

Hi maggiemou, thanks for the great reply, I've actually seen some of your posts on other fashion threads and remember that you love to dress up! :) And I remembered that you put lotsr of effort into lokking awesome during those themed nights!

Oh, thank you very much! (: I actually am going to be stopping in Cyprus! This here is my itinerary:

"Greek Isles and Holy Land" cruise. 12 night, Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy round trip. Ports of call are:

Olympia (Katakolon), Greece

Santorini, Greece

Haifa, Isreal for 2 days (we'll visit Jeruselum too)

Limassol, Cyprus

Rhodes, Greece

Crete (Heraklion), Greece

Naples/Capri (Sorrento), Italy

with 3 At Sea days, and 4 formal nights!

Where in Cyprus are you from? (And I feel like if I described what I look like, I'd stick out like a sore thumb on my ship LOL. I'm very recognizable. :D) You could probably spot me in the crowd.

Oo, that's cool~ I'm still not able to do world cruises yet for the time being, I don't have enough days off from school.

You know, finding a dress for the Elizabethean ball sounds like a pretty tall order ^^' , considering the fact that I will be travelling with only arolling carry-on & a backpack for the cruise + a couple of days in Rome. What kind of accessories do you recommend? I recall that for the London Ball, feathers are a good idea, so I could wear like, a feather headband as an accessory.

I plan on visiting the Queen's Room after dinner, but I don't know about dancing haha. I'm a pretty awkward dancer so I don't know about that ;)

Thanks for all the great suggestions, they were very helpful! && btw, I love your London shoes :D, due to my short stature, I often wear heels that normally range from 3" to 4.5" in height. :p

Hi maggiemou, thanks for the great reply, I've actually seen some of your posts on other fashion threads and remember that you love to dress up! :) And I remembered that you put lotsr of effort into lokking awesome during those themed nights!

Oh, thank you very much! (: I actually am going to be stopping in Cyprus! This here is my itinerary:

"Greek Isles and Holy Land" cruise. 12 night, Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy round trip. Ports of call are:

Olympia (Katakolon), Greece

Santorini, Greece

Haifa, Isreal for 2 days (we'll visit Jeruselum too)

Limassol, Cyprus

Rhodes, Greece

Crete (Heraklion), Greece

Naples/Capri (Sorrento), Italy

with 3 At Sea days, and 4 formal nights!

Where in Cyprus are you from?

(And I feel like if I described what I look like, I'd stick out like a sore thumb on my ship LOL. I'm very recognizable. :D) You could probably spot me in the crowd.

Oo, that's cool~ I'm still not able to do world cruises yet for the time being, I don't have enough days off from school.

You know, finding a dress for the Elizabethean ball sounds like a pretty tall order ^^' , considering the fact that I will be travelling with only arolling carry-on & a backpack for the cruise + a couple of days in Rome. What kind of accessories do you recommend? I recall that for the London Ball, feathers are a good idea, so I could wear like, a feather headband as an accessory.

I plan on visiting the Queen's Room after dinner, but I don't know about dancing haha. I'm a pretty awkward dancer so I don't know about that ;)

Thanks for all the great suggestions, they were very helpful! && btw, I love your London shoes :D, due to my short stature, I often wear heels that normally range from 3" to 4.5" in height. :p

Where in Cyprus are you from?

I am actually British . I have live in Cyprus many years. Lots of British folks live here . So English is widely spoken. I live in Southern Cyprus where the locals are Greek Cypriot. The island is divided as it was invaded in 1974. A third of the Island is under Turkish occupation and the Capital Nicosia is the only divided city in the world. Lots of culture here, both historical, and archaeological.