Add A Jewish Style Deli on Royal

While I'm not against adding a deli, I think the ones they already have are pretty good (Compass Deli, etc.). I don't think they should take out Izumi or any of the other good restaurants.

The ships have already gone to more processed and bland foods anyway. I'm not sure we need even more processed meats to eat. I'd rather see more options with fresh fruits, vegetables, and interesting spices and flavors. Pastrami and pickles are fine once in a while, but we also need real food aboard, not only food that's processed and preserved so that it no longer resembles anything found in nature.

I'll take one with an chocolate egg cream

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Oh God I have to get down to the city and hit The Carnegie now. That picture just put me over the edge . Thank God I am only an hour and a half away *LOL*

[/b]

They already do! I've been eating lox and bagels on RCI for years!:D

There are round things with holes in the middle that are called bagels. Then there are "real" bagels from a NYC bagel shop that have been boiled in NYC water. There have been studies done that the chemical composition of the NYC water is critical to the production of an excellent bagel.

I think the best bagels and bialys I ever had were from a shop on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn, but my DH taught for 30 years in Staten Island and he swore by a little shop there.

Even the little bakery we had in Kendall Park, NJ (South Brunswick Township, Central Jersey) where they made awesome bread and rolls and better challah than my aunt could get in Queens, they could not produce a NYC bagel.

There was a guy in Atlantic City who imported NYC water and made a killing selling bagels to all the gamblers returning north.

The round things on the ships are okay for a schmear and a little lox, but to call them a "bagel" ......nah.:D

I am just loving this thread. One of the most fun and friendliest in a long time.

The photos are killing me. Have to replace my smoker and I'm going straight onto Amazon to order one. Those corned beefs in the freezer shall become pastrami. Not Carnegie Deli, but, if I have to say so myself, pretty damned good for way-the-heck South, TX.

BTW, there is a really good deli in Houston called Kenny & Ziggies. Very traditional Jewish-style (not kosher) with excellent half-sour pickles and great meats. There latkes are also good. Not as good as mine, but passable;)

Oh God I have to get down to the city and hit The Carnegie now. That picture just put me over the edge . Thank God I am only an hour and a half away *LOL*

I am flying in 8/30. Our hotel is just 2 blocks from Caregie deli ( Michealengelo on 51st and 7th)

There are round things with holes in the middle that are called bagels. Then there are "real" bagels from a NYC bagel shop that have been boiled in NYC water. There have been studies done that the chemical composition of the NYC water is critical to the production of an excellent bagel.

I think the best bagels and bialys I ever had were from a shop on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn, but my DH taught for 30 years in Staten Island and he swore by a little shop there.

Even the little bakery we had in Kendall Park, NJ (South Brunswick Township, Central Jersey) where they made awesome bread and rolls and better challah than my aunt could get in Queens, they could not produce a NYC bagel.

There was a guy in Atlantic City who imported NYC water and made a killing selling bagels to all the gamblers returning north.

The round things on the ships are okay for a schmear and a little lox, but to call them a "bagel" ......nah.:D

I am just loving this thread. One of the most fun and friendliest in a long time.

The place in Brooklyn, you are talking about. Is it a little hole in the wall joint on Flatbush Ave around Avenue T? . About a block or so from Kings Plaza ? If so I have been there and they are very very good.

People like deli sandwiches but those fast moving sub shops have taken over.

There is no quality in the meats.

I love brisket sandwiches with a large pickle and potato salad you get in a deli.

At the Carnegie Deli in Las Vegas at the Mirage..The Woody Allen sandwich. People really order this. They usually split the sandwich and then even too much. IMHO too much meat. Give me a regular sized deli sandwich for lunch on a cruise and I would be happy.

th-1_zpsdc4394d4.jpeg

DH and I would love a good tasting deli.

Laura

That is just --- WOW

Sorry but I wouldn't go that far and I'm not even Jewish! I am from NY though, so that has to count for something... ;)

Could someone please explain what an egg cream is? It sounds like some kind of drink, I don't think we have it here.

Carbonated/seltzer water, milk and vanilla syrup. Chocalate egg cream is good, but I prefer vanilla.

Has to be made with the carbonated soda out of an old soda shop, No bottled seltzer.

For some reason, it's even better from an old shop that has one of those old business signs out front with the Coca cola and Breyer's ice cream logos on it.

Up until a few years ago, I used to always make my way to Ave A and ST Mark's in the east village. There was an old news stand run by an eastern European family that was pretty good.

When in NY, most Greek run diners can make one.

The Milk needs to be ice cold. I don't know when the first egg cream was ever made, but at some point they use to add egg yolks to the drink. I'm sure that if you went onto youtube.com you could find a video showing you the right way to make one.

Could someone please explain what an egg cream is? It sounds like some kind of drink, I don't think we have it here.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask that question(LOL)

An egg cream is a beverage consisting of milk, and soda water as well as chocolate syrup and is especially associated with Brooklyn, home of its alleged inventor, late 19th-century candy store owner Louis Auster. I contains neither eggs nor cream. The egg cream is almost exclusively a fountain drink. Although there have been several attempts to bottle it, none has been wholly successful, as its fresh taste and characteristic head require mixing of the ingredients just before drinking.

To Make The Original Brooklyn Egg-Cream at Home (Taken from the U-Bet Web Site)

http://www.foxs-syrups.com/index.html

• Take a tall, chilled, straight-sided, 8oz. glass
  • Spoon 1 inch of U-bet Chocolate syrup into glass
  • Add 1 inch whole milk
  • Tilt the glass and spray seltzer (from a pressurized cylinder only) off a spoon, to make a big chocolate head
  • Stir, Drink, Enjoy

I have made them at home without the Seltzer from a pressurized cylinder though not as good)

The place in Brooklyn, you are talking about. Is it a little hole in the wall joint on Flatbush Ave around Avenue T? . About a block or so from Kings Plaza ? If so I have been there and they are very very good.

Haven't been there since the 1970's. Don't remember anything but it was on Flatbush Ave. It was a little hole in the wall.

Haven't been there since the 1970's. Don't remember anything but it was on Flatbush Ave. It was a little hole in the wall.

Are you talking about the place between Avenue U and Avenue T on Flatbush (same side as Kings Plaza) - if so, I used to go there a lot during the early 90s -- one of my buddy's worked there (he went out to Hollywood in the mid-90s & found mild-success on TV). But any bagel store in Brooklyn beats almost any other bagel I have ever had outside the NY area.

As someone mentioned, you can get "bagels" on RCI ships, but you can never get a real Bagel. They have what they call pizza on RCI ships, even in Sorrentos, but it is not the same as a New York Pizza. I do not think RCI could really repoduce a good NY deli on one of their ships, and if so, it would probably be $20-$25 a sandwich for them to break even.

And no, even "premium" mass-market meats are nowhere even close - for instance, take corned beef. Boar's head corned beef does not look the same as real corned beef (it is not round), it does not smell the same as real corned beef (it would be impossible with the "natural" additives), and it surely does not tase like real corned beef.

FYI -- I am a Cel-Ray person myself (although becoming harder and harder to find these days).

FYI 2 - For good egg creams in Brooklyn, the only place I know of (If you know of anywhere else, do tell) that makes it authentic is the Brooklyn Farmacy in Caroll Gardens.

FYI 2 - For good egg creams in Brooklyn, the only place I know of (If you know of anywhere else, do tell) that makes it authentic is the Brooklyn Farmacy in Caroll Gardens.

My 1st apparment was in Caroll Gardens, but do not remember that farmacy, but they had great Itilian bakeries. Also agree that you need to be in NYC to get some foods ( Brooklyn docks are just a mile from there did a few Princess cruises out of Brooklyn a few years ago)

Archived