Daily Clothes Planning Spreadsheet

I think the reason this works for me well is I love black and white and that's what I use for my bottoms. Most anything goes with those colors, let's face it. Formal night is palazzos and a fancy blouse. I'm done with that gown stuff...it may be for some ppl, but it isn't for me any longer. I'm not small and trying to find something that I felt good in me crazy. I have a LBD that if I want to take, I can. The one part of my body I feel good about is my legs, so the LBD works!

I use to wear basically all black... When my DD was young, she once called me the "funeral lady". :o:D

Now I wear quite a variety of colors, but mostly blue... Favorite color.

We rarely bring home anything any longer ourselves. Trying to downsize our lives. I have a foldable bag though that can come along should we chose to buy something.

Same here... Avoid the gift shops all together.

Rarely buy anything on board.

I am trying to downsize all my belongings... I started to pile everything up in my basement, in hopes of having a garage sale. I can't believe the mounds of junk (other peoples treasures ;):D) I have collected threw the years. :cool: cha-ching!

~~~

Thinking of buying an umbrella to use at the beaches while we're at port.

Just don't know if there will be room in the suitcase for one. :o

I'm with you..less is more! A spread sheet? Glad it works for some but for me I'd be like "seriously??""

I can't imagine having 15 pairs of shoes on a trip.

I'm with you!

I was just on a *light packing thread* in another part of the forum and I was shocked at some of the responses when I posted what I take. I have more than enough clothing packing in a carry on. For 7 days, I take one pair of palazzos and two different blouses, two pairs of slacks and a pair of capris along with five blouses, and then three pairs of shorts, four summery tops, bathing suit, pashmina, cover up, underwear, PJ's, and three pairs of shoes. (One I wear) I add my toiletries and make up and I'm good to go. I love only dragging the one bag! I wash out underwear....that's about it! We used to take SOOOOO much with us and I ended up rewashing and putting it away. I have no more clothing meltdowns because I match up everything before I leave. Every cruise I go on gets just a little easier where the packing is concerned....and the fact I don't have to set my luggage out the last night is just wonderful! :D

We just had to change cruises from November to February because my fiance's daughter's baby is due the day before we would have sailed. He wants to be there for her (raised her as a single parent), and I said, no problem. I like it because we got the original itinerary of two days in Cabo and one in Puerto Vallarta, which had been flipped on the November cruise after I bought it. But, now I have to change my outfits for those days! Since we're now driving to Long Beach, rather than flying, I can take more stuff, too, so it all balances out. :)

I'm with you..less is more! A spread sheet? Glad it works for some but for me I'd be like "seriously??""

For me, a good packing list (esp visual) HELPS me pack less = more;) When I can show (myself...) that this sweater will be worn 4 times with these other pieces, I make sure that everything I bring with me earns its place....

I dunno..I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the 15 pairs of shoes thing..LOL

For me, a good packing list (esp visual) HELPS me pack less = more;) When I can show (myself...) that this sweater will be worn 4 times with these other pieces, I make sure that everything I bring with me earns its place....

I dunno..I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the 15 pairs of shoes thing..LOL

I wouldn't travel with 15prs of shoes either. But the point is - there are people who are obsessive planners (like me) who don't bring a lot of stuff, and there are people who bring a lot of stuff who aren't obsessive planners and/or spreadsheet packing list users,and there are people who are both or neither. This thread is full of ideas and we are all welcome to use, adapt, or ignore as fits our needs best:D

I'm with you..less is more! A spread sheet? Glad it works for some but for me I'd be like "seriously??"".

Spreadsheet helps me pack less....

Before SS :rolleyes::D I use to pack everything under the sun....way too many outfits....

Now, I don't! With the little help from my spreadsheet friend, I only pack according to the amount of days, plus a few extra just in case. ;)

I don't make my spreadsheet until after I have pulled out my clothes and made my final selections. I have to see the actual outfits laid out, with any accessories/wraps/shoes/etc before I can decide. I lay out an outfit for each day, each activity ... then I can see what things I can wear more than once and start eliminating others. For a very long trip, over 2 weeks, I think about what can be laundered by the ship and what I have to hand wash, or what I would wash in the laundromat if there is one on the ship. Then I go over my choices a few more times to see what else I can eliminate.

Once I've made my decisions, than I make my list!

Just to let you know LOL I have several NIKE flip flops of various colors and they slip ever so easy here and there. A couple of heels (2 formal nights) and flats/sandals(dress up/dn) that also slip here and there.:D I have a injured ankle so I never know which shoe's going to set it off.

The worse thing is bringing resort casual eve. attire to get comfy after dinner that rarely gets use! One top dbl up on capris or? would be enough that takes up real space.

I pick out a top/btm for each day, maybe mix and match if it works out, a couple easy non wrinkle dresses and "needed" amount formal and hang them up on the counter bar overhang visual spread sheet LOL, try them on see what all works match a few shoes. Gather the lingerie, mix n match jewelry etc., toiletries and basically I'm done with me. Pack it all up. We take two, roll type beach bags which we fill with c/o wine, 2 gal jugs wtr. misc. junk/med. and one for electronics=iPhone speaker for our aft balcony, cameras, that kind of stuff. We stuff a couple of hammocks :D in there small storage bags that fit perfectly in a compartment in my daughter's and grandsons Polo suitcases. I use my med. suit case plus the one of the roll beach bags. Extend the zipper and whala!

We live in Fl. so luggage is NOT an issue like airport access/costs; just the trunk. I could take my large suitcase and be crazy!

We either stay and park our car (cruise n park), or this time doing a resort prkg only, both have shuttle passes. So its a little different than most here have to endure.

We're taking a short getaway the end of mo. and I will def. take very little! Just that we are Platinum Carnival cruisers and cruising Royal and its been a long time. I think its about the same, except they use to be a different scale of dressing than Carnival back then, we'll see. I never dress down for the shirt and sneaker, baseball cap dining crowd anyway. Never will. Just me.

Laurie S sounds like a win, win!! Especially the fly part :) Enjoy the new little one, he sounds like a great guy!

I'm really looking forward to driving this time. There's so much more fun stuff I can bring due to no weight limitations. I've already bought a 6-inch flameless candle for the balcony! ;)

I'm really looking forward to driving this time. There's so much more fun stuff I can bring due to no weight limitations.

Wish more cruise lines would sail out NY. Much easier packing. ;)

No extra fees, no busy airports, no baggage restrictions...Spoils you!

Booked a cruise which I have to fly.... Not looking forward to forking over $25 first bag, $35 or the second... Same for DH. :mad::(

Going to try my best to limit items... to cut down on suitcases... :cool:

Anybody ship their luggage? I take a golf trip with 19 other women every year and for the past couple of years, I've been shipping my golf clubs. It's the same price as the airlines and for some reason I prefer to give my $$ to FedEx than the airlines. I can fly SW from my local airport so two bags included.

Pam

I think planning what to wear is a fun part of cruising! I use a new spiral type notebook for every cruise (the kind that just was in all the sales for back to school for 10 - 50 cents.) I start planning my clothing choices in the notebook from booking or sometimes a little before. I start with plane, then break it down by each cruise day, one line for day wear and another for evening. I include jewelry and shoes. I keep making lists as I get new items or change my mind, right down to the "final list" I use this and make a list as to what goes in each suitcase. The final list gets packed also just for a guideline. Most of my clothing cannot withstand the heat of the ships laundry but my husbands can so he takes very limited amounts of clothing and we send his out to the ships laundry so I have more room for my stuff. :D We seem to get better at this packing business with each cruise.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, learned some new things and may even try a bag app for my phone.

Also just a cautionary note with the wrinkle reducer, I remember reading here on cruise critic about problems with using on clothing, especially dark clothing that it leaves a residue on the clothes that shows up on photos as a kind of shimmer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

most people who did a Transatlantic from Canada, learn fast about not overpacking, mixing and wearing same clothes more than once is very practicle

Nothing is perfect, since you have to bring more money US Euro and Sterling pounds, but it is the experience of a lifetime or to put on your bucket list

Well just got back from a quick 5-day on Royal. I was so proud of my packing, but than found I still brought too much! I took my small case, with 1 formal dress, 1 dressy dress and one nice dress. I also had 1 sarong type/short you could actually roll up and not wrinkle LOL This was for a chg. after The Riu AI day pass; to go over to Atlantis. I never wore the 1 dressy dress! I forgot we'd be there until 11:59pm and we did stay out and ate at the Poop Deck/Bahamas (great seafood!). I brought 2 casual shorts and tops for chg. from pool if wanted, but didn't need. 1 resort casual shorts and top (didn't need) and 1 resort casual shorts/top I wore boarding. (1 casual top my daughter used since she forgot to pack her T-shirt.) I had exercise shorts/top and a capris/jacket for deck TV if chilly. Never used the shorts, but used the top w/capris and jacket and for searching down my DGS who missed curfew! LOL I had 2 bathing suits which I used and a light weight cover-up. I wore the same walking shorts with one of the casual (not used) tops to depart. So I still over packed. Mostly because we really didn't run around at night. Kind of boring ship.

I did get my prescription sun glasses knocked off my face at the beach=very strong, large waves!! Never to be found again! I rolled over and over and sucked and tossed in the blasting waves, like a possum rolled up. Did great for the hairdo for later at the Atlantis. LOL At least I didn't drown, but my muscles were sure sore after that! Ever try to restyle short hair with hairspray and the hand dryers in the bathrooms?

I keep saying for us its suits and a few dresses and the sweats and we'd probably pack just fine! A lot of pool time and dinner! But it seems we never listen! I don't think a spread sheet would help, we didn't stick to any itinerary. Oh and my small!! suitcase was not packed like sardines either.

One day we'll get it right! I hope :)

most people who did a Transatlantic from Canada, learn fast about not overpacking, mixing and wearing same clothes more than once is very practicle

Nothing is perfect, since you have to bring more money US Euro and Sterling pounds, but it is the experience of a lifetime or to put on your bucket list

Doing my 2nd transatlantic in a few weeks and already stressing out over the packing. I agree that everything in there has to be worn at least twice (or more) except for formal wear.... I really need to learn to bring less but it's so hard!!!...at least I do get free laundry onboard so can get the 'less' important stuff washed (e.g. undies, socks, pjs, t-shirts)...wish me luck!:p;)

I'm a list-maker for traveling (but not in realy life, lol). Here's an example:

11/25/11 - Friday

On Plane - black pants, t-shirt, jacket, black Keens with black socks

11/26/11 – Saturday

Board Ship – capris, t-shirt, Keens

Dinner – Casual: same as boarding

11/27/11 – Sunday

At Sea Day

Daytime – shorts, t-shirt, Keens

Dinner – Formal: black pants, formal top, black formal sandals

11/28/11 - Monday

Grenada – swimsuit, coverup, flip-flops

Dinner - Casual: black pants, nice top, black Keens

11/29/11 - Tuesday

St. Lucia - shorts, t-shirt, Keens

11/30/11 - Wednesday

Antigua - swimsuit, cover-up, flip-flops

12/1/11 - Thursday

St. Croiz - swimsuit, cover-up, flip-flops

Dinner – Formal: black pants, formal top, black formal flip-flops

12/1/11 - Friday

St. Thomas - swimsuit, cover-up, flip-flops

Dinner – Casual: black pants, nice top, black Keens

12/2/11 - Saturday

On Plane – black pants, t-shirt, jacket, black Keens with black socks

Summary:

Tan capris

Black pants (wear on plane)

Green shorts

Formal tops (2)

Nice tops (4): turquoise, blk/red, wh/coral/pk, red/wh

T-Shirts (4): navy, new black, new gray, pk/blk/wh (wear on plane)

Shoes:

Black Keens (wear on plane)

Tan Keens

Black flip-flops (beach)

Black sandals

2 pair black socks

Swim suits

Cover-up

I'm doing my first transatlantic cruise solo. Any advice on how many glamour nights there is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,:) are you referring to "formal nights? A transatlantic is usually at least

15 nights. I have never sailed MSC so I don't know what they offer

but I would guess there would be 3 of them. Maybe someone who

has sailed with them before can help you or look on their website.

I tend to make a list of everything we pack. Then I work on a day to day spreadsheet for our clothes. Things then get crossed off of our lists until we take what we will be wearing, with a couple of extra shirts. We then highlight the lists by suitcase, so we know what is in each suitcase.

We always send out laundry, and/or wash things in the sink.

First cruise, we went for 16 days, 4 large suitcases, 2 carryons for the 2 of us.

Last trip was 65 days...same amount of luggage, and with the exception of toothpaste 9which I had to buy...twice!), didn't need to buy any toiletries etc. thought that was pretyy good.

Next trip is for 16 days and I hope it will be 1 checked, 1 carryon...still editing my list :)

Oh...the main list gets used from trip to trip...what isn't used from one trip to another gets highlighted and then removed from the list. Seems to have worked pretty good.

My list is similar. I found it works well for me to just list X amount of tops/shorts/dresses, rather than list by day or event. I also cut down the packing this way, only packing for 5 nights/days...I find I always have plenty of clothing. This was after years of overpacking and bringing home clean clothes, I finally learned.

I hang everything on a rolling rack, downstairs and out of the bedroom after my list is finalized. That way I can really see what I have and if anything can be eliminated, especially if I have a pair of shoes that can only be used once.

Jewelry (costume) and accessories are either hung with the clothing or folded and placed under the rack with shoes and other things that aren't hung (pj's, bathing suits, underwear, etc...)

I pack right from the rack and not only do I not forget anything this way, I don't end up packing extras, since I'm not near my closet :p

Great plan. I'm much the same but haven't graduated to your rolling rack set up (use a wardrobe in a spare bedroom). Tried the spreadsheet a few years back and even pinned it to the wall in the cabin. Unfortunately, it proved unworkable and lacked the spontaneity of choosing what to wear each day (also weather changes cannot be easily accommodated). Still it's a good starting point and you need to see what works for you.

• 1 month later...

Despite working in the travel industry for 20 years and doing a huge amount of global travel in that time, I'm still a terrible overpacker who nevertheless always manages to forget to take something important.

Before my first cruise a couple of years ago, I saw a similar Excel spreadsheet posted here by a CC member. I decided to try it out for the cruise and it worked great. I use it all the time now.

I have a generic packing list, for items that I simply must take with me even if it's just for one night away from home. I add to it as appropriate for length of trip/climate etc. Then I use the spreadsheet for planning my outfits.

I wish I could remember who it was that posted it, I can't thank her enough as it's so been so helpful.