Carnival cruises that start at one port and end at another!

Cigar Dude

Maybe I'm slow but I just noticed some cruises that leave (for example) San Juan and end up in Tampa, or some other port. Is this new? Is the reverse also true? Do some cruises leave Florida and end in San Juan?

I found it when searching for 7+ day cruises out of San Juan.

You are slow. :)

There are a couple of repositioning cruises as well as new one way itineraries between New York and San Juan on the Splendor. The one way from San Juan to Tampa will be right after the Pride's last sailing from Baltimore, one way to San Juan.

Maybe I'm slow but I just noticed some cruises that leave (for example) San Juan and end up in Tampa, or some other port. Is this new? Is the reverse also true? Do some cruises leave Florida and end in San Juan?

I found it when searching for 7+ day cruises out of San Juan.

Yes, it's relatively new. Also makes it hard for people without passports.

You don't need a passport to sail to or from San Juan.

IMHO, Carnival has missed an opportunity with repo cruises in the past. When they would move Glory from Florida to New England or New York to do the Canada sailings, they didn't do a repo cruise. They would stop her in Norfolk for a couple of cruises, but then sail her empty back to Florida.

My 2nd cruise (only RCI cruise) was a repo. They were moving a ship from Tampa to NY or B'more to do the summer Bermuda sailings. We were on Leg 1 from Tampa to San Juan and stopped in Grand Cayman, Jamaica and St Thomas. It was a great cruise.

So yeah, I jumped on the Leg 2 of the Conquest repo in November. Love San Juan and really happy to get to return to Dominica. I'm seriously considering booking Leg 2 of the Pride repo for November 2014.

My two 1-way airfares (RDU-SJU; FLL-RDU) total $242 on SouthWest, so no bag fee, either. Got a good deal on the Sheraton in Old San Juan right across from the pier on Hotwire ($114/night). It's going to be great! Happy Birthday to ME!!!! :D

IMHO, Carnival has missed an opportunity with repo cruises in the past. When they would move Glory from Florida to New England or New York to do the Canada sailings, they didn't do a repo cruise. They would stop her in Norfolk for a couple of cruises, but then sail her empty back to Florida.

My 2nd cruise (only RCI cruise) was a repo. They were moving a ship from Tampa to NY or B'more to do the summer Bermuda sailings. We were on Leg 1 from Tampa to San Juan and stopped in Grand Cayman, Jamaica and St Thomas. It was a great cruise.

So yeah, I jumped on the Leg 2 of the Conquest repo in November. Love San Juan and really happy to get to return to Dominica. I'm seriously considering booking Leg 2 of the Pride repo for November 2014.

My two 1-way airfares (RDU-SJU; FLL-RDU) total $242 on SouthWest, so no bag fee, either. Got a good deal on the Sheraton in Old San Juan right across from the pier on Hotwire ($114/night). It's going to be great! Happy Birthday to ME!!!! :D

I totally agree with you. Look at the November 2013 NCL Dawn repo cruise - 14 days from Boston to Tampa, with stops at St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands; St. John's, Antigua; Bridgetown, Barbados; Willemstad, Curacao; Oranjestad, Aruba; Cozumel, Mexico. Awesome trip! And the prices are really good if you book in advance. I'm betting that Carnival would sail full on a similar cruise.

I actually wanted to do both legs and my PVP told me I couldn't. I still don't understand why not. Something to do with the Jones Act. I swear there were people on the RCI cruise who were doing both legs. Hmm, I wonder if I can tack on the 5-night from Tampa after and make it a really long cruise! :D

The thing with the Pride repo cruises is they're calling at the same ports on both legs, which strikes me as odd. I think I'd rather sail San Juan-Tampa than Baltimore-San Juan the first week of December. Those first couple of days could be way too cold and since there's no difference in the ports of call, I think I'll opt for Leg 2.

Problem is I'm often sailing solo and there are only five 1As on the Spirit-class ships. None are showing up for that sailing well over a year in advance, so I'd have to pay more than I'd like. :(

Surprisingly, there have been price drops on the Conquest cruise. Usually, the one-off sailings don't drop because they're unique. If someone wants that itinerary, they don't have other options.

I actually wanted to do both legs and my PVP told me I couldn't. I still don't understand why not. Something to do with the Jones Act. I swear there were people on the RCI cruise who were doing both legs. Hmm, I wonder if I can tack on the 5-night from Tampa after and make it a really long cruise! :D

The thing with the Pride repo cruises is they're calling at the same ports on both legs, which strikes me as odd. I think I'd rather sail San Juan-Tampa than Baltimore-San Juan the first week of December. Those first couple of days could be way too cold and since there's no difference in the ports of call, I think I'll opt for Leg 2.

Problem is I'm often sailing solo and there are only five 1As on the Spirit-class ships. None are showing up for that sailing well over a year in advance, so I'd have to pay more than I'd like. :(

Surprisingly, there have been price drops on the Conquest cruise. Usually, the one-off sailings don't drop because they're unique. If someone wants that itinerary, they don't have other options.

Just curious, what are the itineraries of the 2 legs??

Gregg

I knew about repositioning cruises but not "every day, regular scheduled" ones.

I may have to look into this further.

The Splendor is doing a few of these as scheduled - we have booked one set of them.

I think the first is in October 2014, the second is in Jan 2015 (that is the one we are doing) and there is another set in Feb 2015

Here is the one we are doing:

1/12/15 leave NY 8 day cruise

Ports Grand Turk, St Thomas, Antigua & St Kitts

end 1/20 in San Juan

Next cruise starts in San Juan 8 day

Going to Antigua, St Kitts, St Thomas, Grand Turk and ends in NY 1/28

It then resumes the round trip 8 day cruises from NY going to Port Canveral, Nassau and Freeport

We are doing the 2 one ways, and staying on the ship for the 2 round trips after it (32 days total)

I do know people in NY taking the one way to San Juan to stay with family for the holidays and then taking the Jan or Feb one way back.

A great way to spend a few months in PR since they are running the one ways at least 3 times over the course of 6 months.

Likewise someone coming from PR to visit for a few months in NY and then going back.

They are relatively cheap cruises right now - they are under the radar.

We booked 4 cruises, and all for were the typical cost of 2.

I'm doing the 11 night repo on the Legend in Oct. from NY to Tampa. Great cruise! Also doing the B2B on the Splendor next Oct. It leaves NY to San Juan then the next leg goes from San Juan to NY. I take a train into NY so no flights! :D

It would depend on where the cruise starts, and where the 2nd cruise ends, and the ports it visits...whether it's a B2B or a B2B2B, or more, it's considered one transport of passenger from point A to point Z.

It's called the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA). The Jones Act is transport of cargo.

So, fill in the blanks. There are several posters on CC who are knowledgeable on the PVSA, probably more so than most PVP's.

I'd lay odds that your PVP is wrong - IIRC, as long as the ship visits a foreign port during the cruise, the Jones Act doesn't apply, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do back-to-back cruises. Even if the Jones Act is involved, if you leave the first cruise, go thru Customs, then check in for the second cruise, you and Carnival would be in compliance. Try another PVP or book it online.

I'd lay odds that your PVP is wrong - IIRC, as long as the ship visits a foreign port during the cruise, the Jones Act doesn't apply, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do back-to-back cruises. Even if the Jones Act is involved, if you leave the first cruise, go thru Customs, then check in for the second cruise, you and Carnival would be in compliance. Try another PVP or book it online.

If the cruise she wants to go to starts in 1 US city and ends in a different US city then the PVP is correct #1 - The rule is a distant foreign port if you are doing the B2B that starts and ends in 2 different US cities. #2 - The PVSA considers a B2B as 1 voyage. The only way around this is to get off the ship and board another ship going to the same final destination. People have to do this quite often when involved with Alaskan cruises.

Gregg

US citizens do not need a passport to visit Puerto Rico.

A passport is not required for US citizens taking cruises that begin and end in the same US port.

You will need a passport if the cruise begins at one port (San Juan) and ends at another (Tampa).

A passport is not required for US citizens taking cruises that begin and end in the same US port.

You will need a passport if the cruise begins at one port (San Juan) and ends at another (Tampa).

Thanks for your clear explanation Deetrayn. I am planning on booking the Jan12, 2015 Splendor sailing the one way NYC to San Juan. I will need to get my passport for this one.

I always thought the reasoning for Carnival's lack of so many repositioning cruises was because they scheduled their drydocks to occur between the changing of ports? It just always seemed like other lines always had more available annually.

I'm not aware of the JONES ACT, and maybe the below situation is similar...

I inquired about the old itineray that the VICTORY used to do from SAN JUAN-SAN JUAN with a couple of stops and one in BARBADOS. Depending on where you searched, you could locate this cruise that began in SAN JUAN or BARBADOS. However the BARBADOS START POINT was not available via the Carnival website search engine. I inquired to Carnival if this was a b2b and if you could board in Barbados. I was considering a cruise to Barbados, mini vacation, then cruise back to San Juan.

The reply I recieved was

ONLY BRITISH citizens were granted embarkation at BARBADOS as a START/END point. Something about it being a British colony (or something) and direct flights from London to Barbados. So essentially this itinerary was actually two separate closed loop itineraries happening at one time. I don't know if they still do this trip as that was a couple years ago I noticed it.

On a different note, I remember during an onboard meeting a representitive going over all the changes, new ships & itineraries expected for 2013 & 2014. There were a couple of long repositioning cruises planned as ships were moved and some were being broken up into 2-3 legs as they made their way from the East to the West coast. These itineraries were being considered b2b or b2b2b with multiple Embarkation and Debarkation ports.

Thanks for your clear explanation Deetrayn. I am planning on booking the Jan12, 2015 Splendor sailing the one way NYC to San Juan. I will need to get my passport for this one.

We are this cruise, and booked the one after it, so it is a 16 day round trip from NY now :p

Are YOU sure?

Yes, there is an exception in the PVSA that allows the transport of passengers (but not cargo) to and from PR and another US port. Otherwise Carnival would not be allowed to do a one way cruise from NY to PR in the first place.

Archived