Exchanging on a Black Sea Cruise

Hansel and Gretel

I always get some Euros from my bank here in the US. and with some small bills. Use it to pay taxi etc on the first day. then use a atm in any country except Turkey for more Euros. When I was in Turkey on a cruise, they would take Euros for my purchase. Be sure to let your bank know you will be using yur ATM card and find out what is your daiiy withdrawal limit.

My bank charges 2.5% for using a different ATM machine and will give me the best wholesale rate for the day.

I think right now one Euro is worth about $1.33USD. I remember when the exchange rate was up to$ !.70USD :eek:

For Greece if you want to pay in cash most places want euros although a few will take USA currency.

For Turkey is you do not need to pay for any entrance fees then you do not need Turkish Lira as USA dollars as are Euros and British Pounds are widely recommended.

Either obtain Euros when you arrive at a local port in Europe where the country is on Euros from an ATM or if you are not talking about a lot of money see if you can get them from your local bank. I usually use the ATM's but recently went to my local bank and the overall rate was quite good so I just got them there as we knew in the first port we had a tour and just didn't want to waste anytime running to get Euros to pay for the private tour.

Keith

If you plan on shopping in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, you will get much better deals using Turkish lira than other currency. The dealers are much more adept at negotiating and calculating exchange rates ( in their favor, of course!) than most of us. We used ATMs at the airport for taxi fare and then currency exchange shops or ATMs when in the old town area of Istanbul.

Your best bet is to get a CapitalOne credit card. They do not charge any foreign transaction fees and have a very favorable exchange rate. All merchants take credit cards. For pocket money, do as the others have suggested. You can also use the exchange booths at the airport when you arrive. Don't buy toooo much. You'll lose money both buying and selling.

Archived