SCRAPBOOKING-looking for suggestions

tourist

I also scrapbook each trip we take. I try to find a information booth or at each island there are usually tables with booklets at stop of places to see. I look them over and pick the ones that have the port of call and interesting pics and the shore excursions we are taking. Keep them and cut the up when returning home for scrapbook memorabilia. Last cruise to Southern Caribbean-they had scrapbooking classes right on ship. This was great we had lots of the pages ready for pics before we left the cruise. HAPPY SCRAPBOOKING!!

One idea I use for my scrapbooks is: on the very last page I attach a picture of my home that I take as soon as I arrive back. Last time we went in February and our house and yard was covered in at least a foot of snow. I also recorded under the picture the temperature when we left Miami and the temperature when we arrived home. ( it was 87F in Miami and -15C when we arrived back home) It is a nice way to finish off the album as well as reminding you why you took the cruise in the first place!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The last cruise I went on, I bought a folder from the office supply store with several pockets that had tabs on the top. I label the tabs with each day and filed everything accordingly. Post cards from every stop, daily sheets, receipts, etc. Another thing I did was get an extra book from the cruise line. One to save and one to use for headers, the ship layout, etc.

Happy scrapping:)

I have found a great website to buy travel scrapbooking supplies. www.scrapyourtrip.com They categories supplies under the type of trip you are taking. Also Jolee's brand of stickers has some excellent cruise embellishments. My scrapbooking advice is collect everything you can. You can sort through it when you get home.

Good luck and have fun

Tracy

I don't think I can add anything different then what has been posted except for, to bring along with you one of the expandable file folder. I use a clear plastic one which has 7 or more slots for each day of the week. This way you can keep your daily programs and items you have collected from each port neatly.

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my scrapbook for my carribean cruise that I took in October. One of my favorite pages that I did is just a big collage...I had an underwater disposable camera that I used when we went to Stingray City and snorkeling in Grand Cayman--so all the pictures came out of things under water and they were around the same color. I cut out the important parts of each picture and made a big collage on one page of all of them.... no journaling, no title, all you can see is pictures. I didn't overlap them, I made each square and made them all fit together perfectly. When I had little open spots, I just used scraps from the other pictures--such as water.... so the whole page is blue/green when looking at it. It's kinda like one of those photo mosaics, except it doesn't make a "bigger picture". When I get a chance, I'm going to scan it and upload a pic of it... it's just so cool. Everyone who looks at my scrapbook raves over it! :)

• 4 weeks later...

My album is going to be a hand-bound book (by me ;) ). I chose to tear the pages on all 4 sides for a more rustic feeling. I'm not sure the scan will show the torn edges.

I hope this works...

This LO is the photo that accompanies the journaling about the Mariner.

TheMarinerpage_webready.jpg

I, too, collect "everything," or at least I thought I did. But I don't have a picture of our cabin #, so I'll get that next month.

When we got back to the ship and I took off my shoes I discovered a bit of sand in them so I saved it. When I did the page where I wanted to include it, I encapsulated it in a round watchface and used a Scrapworks Hugz to hold it to the page. It's very impressive to people who view the album to see that I "actually included sand from the trip!" (Their reaction always makes me laugh.

~sharon

We're not cruising until Feb., but I'm already making my plans - Here's thoughts from other (non-cruise) vacations. Way back in the posts someone talked about pins they got & how to scrapbook those. I scanned all our pins from Disney World and then just mounted the pictures of the pins. Or you can take them to color copy them somewhere.

After Hawaii my last page is a house type page (Roof lines for the border) and then everyone is doing their own thing - Dad & 1 kid napping, 2 kids playing video games and best shot of all - Mom doing laundry. This page always gets laughs. I think I'll do it again and see if activities have changed in the last 10 years.

I like the idea of a folder for all my memorabilia - I'll have to get that - it will help me keep it in order also.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I love the idea of taking a photo with the door number. My first cruise will be in February (Antigua, St Johns, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Barts, San Juan PR), and you've given me some great ideas.

Before the cruise, we have an air/land trip (just 26 days away!) to Playa del Carmen. One thing I'm planning on doing there is getting some photos like all the travel brochures show -- my pretty little feet walking along the edge of the water. I really don't like having my picture taken, but I'm trying to gear up for these two trips, since they are such special travels.

I have collected sand in the past and use little zip loc bags that I get from bead supply stores. I usually double bag and put in my check-through luggage. One time I found some tiny clear plastic bottles with little corks that might have worked in scrapbooks.

When I travel I also like to buy loose beads and little charms -- they are great for embellishing scrapbooks, making jewelry and decorating other items. I've got a whole bunch of different "themes" and colors -- someday I hope to make our family custom Christmas stockings and use these as decorations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope people are still reading these....I joined the scrapbook world 2 years ago and have many, many pages. None on webshots yet though; thats a good idea. (mostly just by email). A few ideas I can add are....writing messages in the sand like "wish you were here" and adding that to a page with your footprints in the sand; white drywall tape from a hardware store makes for great embellishments or lay down and since its sticky put a pix on top (like framing it)-you can also color on it with watercolor markers just don't put in an album for a few days so it dries; what would we do without digital cameras? Mine is attached almost all week on the cruises. I take tons of pix and can always delete or not use them. I also have taken pix of elevator mats with the days of the week on them. Draw a ship pix on a page (or 2) and fill it with various cruise pix to make a collage. Also pix of water/sand work great for letters if use QuicKutz or Sizzix. If anyone is looking for particular ports/ship pix for ideas, I can share mine, just email.

I can really relate to your over-analyzing pages and waiting till the "big idea" strikes. What I have decided to do, and maybe this will help you, is to simply put the pictures down in a creative way, and then go back and journal and add the finishing touches to the pages. I was two and three cruises behind until I decided to do it this way, and it worked! Of course, there is always the opportunity to "change a page" but I liked the idea of getting some of the main pictures done and then having an album to work on with embelishments.

Thanks Celia for your wonderful suggestion. I bought a nice journal for our cruise on the 21st so that it can help me recollect our trip while I scrapbook the pictures. I have put together a few scrapbooks for gifts to parents, grandparents, my sister and even friends but seem to get stuck on my own, funny huh? Hope to do better with this vacation...would like to have it done before our land vacation to Poland this summer. Giving myself a deadline will also help.

Archived