SCRAPBOOKING-looking for suggestions

tourist

In a few of the other threads I read some suggestions of things that are good to collect, for scrapbooking, while on a cruise . For example: drink umbrella's, cocktail napkins, and one I hadn't thought of...a "fact sheet" of the ship.

I don't want to miss a thing. I'm looking for more great suggestions on all the things I should collect.

I'm also looking for unique photo op suggestions that I shouldn't miss.

Plus, are there things you collect and photos you take while preparing for a trip?

Looking for any and all ideas! Thanks!

Some that we do, if you use a travel agent picture of them with you getting your docs. I save all the daily papers from the ship. Airline tickets. The wrapper off the chocolate left on the pillow. All ticket stubs. I make a copy of the final bill and put it in the scrapbook maybe in a pocket so that not everyone that looks at your scrapbook you will want to read it. I purchase a magnet of the ship and use this as an embellishment just take the magnet off and use a pop dot, works great.One page in my cruise books that eveyone loves is the towel art one, everynight I make sure to photo the towel animal left by the cabin stewart. I also collect coins form the countries we visit and put them into a pocket , I seen on here on another thread that someone also collects currency I will do that the next time with the paper money. I am sure that everyone has tons of ideas for this, will be excited to see what other ideas eveyone has.

I love the magnet idea! Hadn't thought about that. We used an online TA, however, I could still get a photo of my girlfriend and I holding our Doc papers.

Good stuff!! Thanks Flossie!

I haven't gotten around to scrapbooking any of my caribbean cruises but hope to scrap the Med with at the end of the year. For the last cruise I went on, a friend who hadn't cruised before was joining my sister and I. For her christmas, pre-cruise, we put together a scrapbook so that all she had to do was add the pictures. Because we had an intro page with ship name, sail dates etc. We did double spreads for the islands and got sand/beach/sea pictures and scrapped the island name onto the pages. For the ship we used a pool layout for pool activities/fancy drinks etc. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it when it was done.

However, an idea for scrapping a cruise, if you're getting books from the library, friends, purchasing them, etc, why don't you photocopy any relevant maps from the books to use on your pages. You could blow up the map, put vellum over it with a cut out of the area you're going to, then scrap over the vellum.

Remember, getting to the cruiseship is part of your trip, so anything that pertains to the airport, roadtrip etc.

Frances

Just remember that taking photos in the ship terminal and probably the airport are not allowed. Not sure about the airport but am sure about the terminal, I was taking some pictures or started to and they told me if I took a picture that they would take my camera and the film . Oops! didn't know that was not allowed but found out fast.I guess that post 911 that can no longer be done which is fine with me, anything for keeping us safe I am for , I just did not know.

fmax-- I have done the map thing but took the map from the cruise book. It looks great - great minds think alike! I would like to start a scrapbook for our cruise in a few months but was alittle afraid to do it without the pictures, guess this worked out well for you and your friend. That was a great Christmas present that you gave her.Some people do not know how much time it takes to make a scrapbook or how much all the embellishments can add up to, so that was a great present!

I'm not sure about inside airports but guess if not, you can always take picture outside with all your luggage or even picture of the airport as you approach. I know people are still taking photos actually on the plane.

I might be doing more of a digital album this time around but my sister will do paper album. I'm trying to get her to put some thought into it now so she can start getting papers etc. We went to a scrapbook store yesterday and she found nice faded, collage type paper of Italy - coliseum, leaning tower etc so she got that and then some other papers that would work with it. This way it breaks up some of the costs as it can be so expensive to buy everything at one go when you come back from the cruise.

I've also been looking at some of the online scrapbooking galleries to get ideas of how people have pulled their photos together. Both for the look and also the concept. I know I'm going to take a picture of the Trevi Fountain but someone actually had a page "Fountains of Rome" and I might not have thought about grouping images together like that.

Frances

I just finished scrapping my cruise from last year. One of the pictures I wish I had taken was a picture of our cabin number. It would have been just the thing to finish off my page. I also take a lot of pictures of signs such as store fronts, welcome to ...., etc. The work great for titles.

I know I'm extremely fast but I have my cruise album done within the week of my return, it keeps me on my cruise high...but one thing I do is keep all the compass's & kids camp stuff & cut out tons of sayings that fit our picture. Also dates & where we go & all my pictures go in the order from 1st day to last. I like to tell somewhat a story, my last page is all of us sleeping in the limo & I cut out from the compass "AHHHHH dreaming of our next cruise...remember this cruise forever" It's alot of work but makes a great album...

One fun suggestion that I heard from someone else, but unfortunately not until we returned, it to take a photo of your luggage in a pile -- it was absolutely amazing how much stuff we took! I kept the glossy excursion brochure that we received on our 1st cruise and added the description of the excursion to our photos -- that worked well. I've also occasionally used part of the daily newspaper, either with the port description, or a description of a particular event we attended.

Another fun suggestion that I heard is to get postage stamps from the country, if you are where they're accessible.

Happy scrapping!

I am already working on my Alaska scrapbook - I already got plenty of free travel brochures from Seattle, Vancouver and Alaska (requested them on-line and had them mailed home) so I can use pictures, maps, etc. This way I do not have to "schlep" them home! Brochures of the cruise line are also good!

If your TA sent you any luggage tags, those are fun too.

I like to pick up postcards in port, plus the cruise ship normally sells postcards of the ship. You can also get postcards at the airports. This way I normally do not "kill" myself to get photos when I can get them cheaply!

Of course I save every paper scrap remotely related to the trip - ticket stubs, programs, etc. If I get any bon voyage gifts save the card, same with invitations, cards, small boxes flattened out, etc. Even though I don't smoke I used to collect match books, but it is harder to find matchbooks these days.

I try to get SOMETHING with the place name - business cards, small shopping bags, or if I bought something I save the receipt. In one of my cruise scrapbooks I even put in the appraisal of the ring I bought on St Maartin (a copy, the original is with my insurance files).

I never get around to saving wine bottle labels, though I keep on thinking about that. I am not into photographing my food, but I know people do that. I do photograph towel animals.

One thing I do like to collect are lapel/hat pins from ports and the ship. I have not figured out how to incorporate them into the scrapbook, since the "stick" is there. I could cut off the "stick" part, but I am too lazy. Maybe I should just switch to magnets from now on.

Like others said, I save the ship dailies. I get at least 3/day. One stays "intact" and the others I cut up the descriptions of what I did for collage journaling - shows, activities, etc.

Be sure you keep a decent journal, so when you put together your scrapbook you can remember names and places, also impressions and memories. I did not do that for a couple of my earlier scrapbooks, and for the life of me I cannot remember my tablemates names!

Have fun!

We asked for change from a purchase on Blue Lagoon in Nassau in Bahama money and we will scrap that next time we scrap...And we saved our airline napkins, and when you order a gift from Carnival they sent them in cool plastic paper with the logo all over it so we saved that and in my moms scrapbook I did for her surprise 75th birthday party a couple months after our cruise I put that on the last page with different pictures from our cruise for our 2005 page in the Through the years section. Everyone at the party loved that page, so I guess that is good and there is still plenty of the plastic left to cut off and put in our cruise scrapbook when I get it done! And we took pictures in the airport and during the flight and didn't get in trouble...

I put our key cards/charge cards in our scrapbook/photo album.

Also, the little pieces of paper/business cards...that new friends use to write down their email addresses, etc... we save those, too.

While in Alaska...my DD caught a huge salmon...and we had it shipped home. It arrived via Fed Ex. Well, we have the Fed Ex sticker that was on the package...in our scrapbook. My DD calls it the "salmon's plane ticket". :D

I get brochures from every cruise line I've been on and then cut out the pictures and the printed itinerary from the cruise I was on. Those cruise brochures have so much stuff to include in a scrapbook.

If anyone is interested, I found a great website that sells travel related scrapbooking items. I've gotten things from my very far away cruises such as India, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. The things they have for Alaska is fantastic and they have a special section for Disney and cruise vacations. The site is

http://www.scrapyourtrip.com

They have the greatest die cuts, metal tags, 12 by 12 papers with cruise themes, stickers and anything else you can think of that's cruise related.

I also take pictures of the food when it's first served at the table, especially on formal night. On some cruise lines the presentation is so beautiful that I want to remember how it looked.

Have any of you been to a store called Archiver's? It's the best store I've ever been to. My sister and I just came across it when our mom was having cataract surgery in Madison Wisconsin. The store was about a 1 minute drive from the outpatient center and across the street from the hotel we stayed at. If you should ever see one of their stores, be prepared to see your credit card smoking.

I haven't seen this mentioned. We always take pictures of our room attendant and waiters. Sometimes with us, sometimes on their own.

As someone mentioned, we always take a picture of our door with the number and pictures inside the cabin. My DH is getting very good at taking pictures of us by way of the mirror. I usuall title this "Our home".

We always have at least one picture of our tablemates at dinner and pictures of the different eating areas.

We take tons of pictures, easy with a digital camera. Some of the ones we took on spare of the moment have been the best.

When I look back at my scrapbook, I relive a lot of happy memories

Wow...now I'm getting even more excited to cruise. I'm getting some really terrific ideas from you folks!!

Love the luggage idea. And, I hadn't thought of stamps from the different ports or countries. That's a great one. Wine labels...another idea I hadn't thought of.

We just got an Archivers here in the last 6-8 months. It's a fantastic place.

Keep the great ideas comin....

Find some of the good websites that have cruise related items just for scrapbooking! I always use: http://www.scrapyourtrip.com Wonderful vacation items there.

Take TONS of pictures! Even when you think a picture may be irrelevant, take it anyway. Most importantly, take the time to research the places you've been, so you'll have some history of what you've seen and why the pictures are so important. I love to make 2x2 punched picture mosaics/collages with the left-over pictures that I don't use in the scrapbook as "whole pictures! They are so much fun to make and really nice!

I also save all the invitations that are left in our cabin for the special on-board parties and the "daily activity sheet - COMPASS". I put those "whole" in a separate protector sheet which is then bradded to the page.

Take a picture of your cabin "number" next to your cabin door. Take a picture of the cabin/w/balcony. Take pictures every evening of your towel animals. Take pictures of cabin steward/stewardess and your dining attendants. We even take pictures of special presentation food.....LOL! Most of all, even if "you" don't like pictures of "you", take them anyway. You'll be glad to see YOU in the photo scrapbook! Just remember to have fun while you're doing all of this! That's why you scrapbook - to have great memories. :D

Flossie, I live in Ohio. The Archiver's I visit is in Akron. I just received the newest Archiver's Journal. It looks like I need to pay another visit. Lot's of new things. And, some fun coupons too!! It's an amazing store. I'm pretty lucky - there are many scrapbooking stores in and around my area. I have a girlfriend in North Carolina who looks forward to coming here because of all the scrap book shops. It's one of the special things we do together when she's in town. But, in her area, there just aren't that many.

I met some CC members recently. We have been chatting through a roll call on the CC boards and about 7 of us met here in my area for lunch a couple weeks ago. One of the gals took a few pictures (I can't believe I forgot my camera, I usually always have mine) and emailed them to us. I already have a start on my cruise pictures. Very exciting.

I'm also thinking about scrapping the receipts from the clothes I've purchased for the cruise. I've gone alittle crazy this trip. Could be fun some day to look back at that??

Tink, I am not very good about having people take my picture. I need to be better about that. I'm the picture taker in my family and among my friends. So, there aren't alot of pictures of ME. A few years ago I started taking pictures of my well manicured toes. I crop it down, and scrap that as proof that I was actually there. Corny! I'm not sure why it doesn't occur to others to grab the camera and snap a few of me. Must not be that important to them. ha I need to work on that.

You gals have been so helpful. I have collected some really great ideas! I look forward to checking in here every few days!

I save ANYTHING & EVERYTHING. I wish CC would put up a gallery so we could post them and we could see each others scrapbook pages. I would tell you that you can also get foreign currecny at most of the major airports (like Miami, Ft Lauderdale & LAX). I lost some of the Foreign coins I got so I picked it up at the airport. I do a currency page for every port (that is new to us). I so far have not found that the cruiselines have had the stamps when I asked. I did a "anmial page" out of hand towels I bought just for that page at WalMart for $2.00. Princess does not do the towel animals.

Archived