So whats the real deal with Chops?

We tried Chops once, on Oasis in 2010. At that time I still infrequently ate beef and both my husband and I were very underwhelmed by the Chops experience. The steaks were tough and had a liver taste to them, the side dishes were cold and/or undercooked and the waiter was brusque and snooty when we said we would not be ordering wine. He kept persisting about the wine, suggesting different ones until we said very politely "thank you, but we don't LIKE wine." He was not pleased.

Your experience might be different. I hope it is!

I do like the steaks and some of the ones I have had in Chops have been as good as the ones we have gotten at Ruth's. What sets it apart for me are the endless and shared (if so desired) appetizers, sides, and deserts - all of which have been of very good to excellent quality.

My vegetarian daughter ate at Chops on our Alaska cruise this year (because I was paying) and now it is all she talks about and can't wait to go back - even if she or her husband is paying! She like the appetizers, sides, and deserts so much that a "devout" vegetarian's favorite specialty restaurant is now Chops! :)

I'm considering booking a res at Chops on my Oasis cruise, but after reading some of the reviews, I'm not so sure about it. Is the steak there actually good or not?

I know that food is subjective, but the range of opinions is really odd. I've read some say its as good as a Ruth's or Morton's, and then others claim its no better than an Applebee's or Outback.

For anyone who knows the difference between good and bad steak, whats the deal?

I have always thought of Chopp's to be just OK.....Service is great !!!! Appetizers like mentioned earlier are awesome....but not endless....Refills on sides were 5 bucks on last cruise last week. Save your money just order a steak in the MDR.

I don't enjoy steak, so I can't comment about that specifically, but I've been to Chops several times. The worst specialty dining experience I ever had was this year at Chops on Liberty. The short rib was way too tough and they ran out of brocollini and just showed up with brocolli. Service was also mediocre at best. The best Chops experience I have had was on Allure. I ordered fish. Service and the ambiance were superb.

Haven't been to Chops on Oasis, but my experience with Chops on Radiance class ships has been nothing short of fantastic. Every steak has been perfect, and I usually get a porterhouse, NY strip, and filet every time I go. Yes, I know, I eat a lot, but that's how good it is. IMHO.

I had a steak in Chops on Enchantment.

It was very good. But as for the value.... The way I look at it....

If you were going out to eat at home?

Let's say after you are seated, the waiter says, "You can have a very nice meal in a nice dining room with good service, with unlimited main dishes, appetizers and deserts for free.

Or you can pay $30 each for a better meal".

That's the way the value should be compared.

Lots of people will take the more expensive meal but that's the comparison.

Let's say after you are seated, the waiter says, "You can have a very nice meal in a nice dining room with good service, with unlimited main dishes, appetizers and deserts for free.

I disagree. The meal in the MDR is NOT free. It is paid for as part of your cruise fare. So instead, I speculate as to how much the equivalent MDR would cost in land. It's a mass produced banquet meal. Cost for the same quality on land would likely be about $20-25 per head. Compared to that, the quality at Chops is far superior and definitely more than $30 more on land.

I disagree. The meal in the MDR is NOT free. It is paid for as part of your cruise fare. So instead, I speculate as to how much the equivalent MDR would cost in land. It's a mass produced banquet meal. Cost for the same quality on land would likely be about $20-25 per head. Compared to that, the quality at Chops is far superior and definitely more than $30 more on land.

No, you have no choice when it comes to paying for your meals in the WJ or MDR.

My comparison is correct and you have to give your idea a little more thought. :)

Now don't get all excited. ;)

My comparison is correct and you have to give your idea a little more thought. :)

Now don't get excited:rolleyes:

But your comparison is not correct.

Meals are figured into the cost of the cruise.

They are in the category of operational costs.

I have arranged many lunches/dinners and the current rate is $35 pp for lunch and $45 pp up for dinner for groups up to 600.

The cruise line can purchase in bulk at reduced costs, but all costs (everything on the ship) control the cost of s cruise.

No line is going to take loss just to operate. They wouldn't be in business very long:p

I still disagree. You do have a choice when it comes to paying for meals in the WJ or MDR. Your choice is not to take the cruise. All I'm saying is that I think the quality of the meal in Chops is more than $30 "better" than the food in the MDR and WJ. That may be a matter of opinion. But I still believe that is the correct comparison.

Get excited? :confused:

Cost for the same quality on land would likely be about $20-25 per head. Compared to that, the quality at Chops is far superior and definitely more than $30 more on land.

Im not sure where you are use to eating or how expensive food is in Mass. but I can easily eat MDR quality (or better) food for 8.00 - 10.00 a head. No, certainly not in a atmosphere like the MDR but Im strictly talking about the quality of the food.

As far as steaks goes, I have to disagree as well. Again, I dont know where you all are use to eating steak at but my favorite local steakhouse does a "steak for two" for 27.95 on Wednesday nights and their steaks blow the steak i had in Chops or the upcharge steaks in the MDR out of the water. That includes two steaks, salads, and sides. A dessert can be added for about 3.00 pp. The "endless" appetizers and sides Chops offers is nice but I just dont eat that much.

I dont want anyone to get me wrong and Im certainly not wanting to argue. Chops was a very nice meal. Just not something I would probably do again. Im ok with the MDR food :)

It all really boils down to different strokes for different folks and I think its great that there are so many dining options! Whether included in the cruise fare or for an upcharge. :)

I agree with you Joe.

I am taking the simplistic view. Not concerned with MDR costs or comparable banquet or land based restaurant costs....or even comparative value.

A choice of paying $30 for a different dining experience, Sometimes I make the choice sometime not. However, there is no math involved in my decision process.

Im not sure where you are use to eating or how expensive food is in Mass. but I can easily eat MDR quality (or better) food for 8.00 - 10.00 a head. No, certainly not in a atmosphere like the MDR but Im strictly talking about the quality of the food.

As far as steaks goes, I have to disagree as well. Again, I dont know where you all are use to eating steak at but my favorite local steakhouse does a "steak for two" for 27.95 on Wednesday nights and their steaks blow the steak i had in Chops or the upcharge steaks in the MDR out of the water. That includes two steaks, salads, and sides. A dessert can be added for about 3.00 pp. The "endless" appetizers and sides Chops offers is nice but I just dont eat that much.

I agree with you about the MDR. But I was being generous, so as not to anger the fanatics:D

As for your "local steakhouse", that sounds fantastic. But also quite atypical. I live in rather unremarkable suburbs, and I'm going to be lucky to get just the steak of that quality for $28. Add appetizers, salad, sides, dessert, and I'm looking at closer to $50 or more. Now, move from my unremarkable suburb to a city or resort setting, and it's more like $75 or $80.

I'm not sure where in "North Georgia" you are, but I'm guessing your local place with the special for two isn't in a major metropolitan or resort area. I'm sure it's good, but I think you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

Originally Posted by joe6666 viewpost.gif

Originally Posted by joe6666 viewpost.gif

Oh now I see! How silly of me! I get it now, just put something in bold and it makes sense:rolleyes:

The part I'm having trouble with here is "if you were going out to eat at home", and "free". You're not home, and it's not free. You are paying for a vacation. Built into the price you are paying for the vacation is food.

I agree with you Joe.

I am taking the simplistic view. Not concerned with MDR costs or comparable banquet or land based restaurant costs....or even comparative value.

A choice of paying $30 for a different dining experience, Sometimes I make the choice sometime not. However, there is no math involved in my decision process.

Add me to the list of agreeing with Joe's post.

It's called a Specialty restaurant - nothing more / nothing less.

Their specialty is steaks, ribs, and similar offerings.

The food is very good, the service very good, and the venue change appealing. It's an alternative to the main dining room meal and venue at an affordable price.

Sometime people make things more complicated than necessary.

A couple thoughts: This is definitely one area Carnival has a leg up. The prime steaks, and the entire steakhouse on Carnival is superior to Chops.

Now for Chops:

1. It's the best steak on the ship, by far.

2. It's a wonderful setting with exceptional service.

3. The steaks are better than your average restaurant, but would not make a top five list when compared to high end steakhouses.

4. At $30, I think it's a STEAL. As I've said before, you have to figure what you think the meal in the MDR is worth. And to me, to jump from that to the experience in Chops, is DEFINITELY worth at least $30.

Haven't tried Chops yet (but will in Feb.). As for the CCL steakhouse I totally agree that it blew away most other steakhouses I've been to including a couple of high end ones. The service, steak, starters and desserts were amazing. I just wish they had a petite filet. For any posters out West I am extremely jealous of the amazing cuts of meat you have there.

Simplistic. A dying art on Cruise Critic. Doesn't a "simplistic" view make things so much nicer? :)

Archived