So whats the real deal with Chops?

I'm not sure where in "North Georgia" you are, but I'm guessing your local place with the special for two isn't in a major metropolitan or resort area.

No its not. You most certainly got me on that one. :)

I'll add my two pennies.

I have ate at many a Steakhouses here in the Chicagoland area and other areas: Mortons, Sullivans, Shula's, Carnevino (Vegas), Prime (Vegas). As well as the chains Outback, Texas Roadhouse, etc...

I was very impressed with the steaks at Chops. I had the 10oz Fillet Med Rare and DW had the 7oz Fillet Med Rare as well.

I would equate the MDR (prime rib and other meats) as being of a National Chain quality in an upscale setting (Outback and others). The Fillet at Chops on the Allure was very good, I personally would put in in the category of Mortons and others, but maybe not in one of the top 5 spots...top 10 for sure.

$30pp - definitely. The desserts and sides are of an even greater quality than the MDR.

I remember when it was $20 and thinking it would be worth it for more, so $30 is still worth it in my opinion.

after my 2 appetizers i also ordered a shrimp entree off the main entree list which cost an additional $10.00...then finished it all off with a delicious dessert.....so total cost of my meal was $40.00 which i considered a bargain.....here in the Washington, DC area that meal would have easily exceeded $100.00.

yes i enjoy eating.....bon appetit.....LOL....:D

The bean counter in me needs to point out that if you are trying to decide if the meal is worth the $30 per person or comparing it to top quality steak houses your are making a mistake.

You have already paid for the meal that night in the MDR...and the cost of that meal will not be refunded to you if you choose to eat at Chops. Therefore you need to determine the value of the meal you are passing up and add it to the $30 per person at Chops.

So...if the meal in the MDR is equal to a $20 per person entree then Chops is $50 per person. For that price it better be an EXCELLENT steak...top quality service and environment should be a given at that price point.

The bean counter in me needs to point out that if you are trying to decide if the meal is worth the $30 per person or comparing it to top quality steak houses your are making a mistake.

You have already paid for the meal that night in the MDR...and the cost of that meal will not be refunded to you if you choose to eat at Chops. Therefore you need to determine the value of the meal you are passing up and add it to the $30 per person at Chops.

So...if the meal in the MDR is equal to a $20 per person entree then Chops is $50 per person. For that price it better be an EXCELLENT steak...top quality service and environment should be a given at that price point.

To that, one might argue that in essence the MDR meal at that point is a sunk cost since it is already factored into the fare -- therefore that cost should be ignored as it is not an opportunity cost as you prescribe. It is gone the minute you pay the final payment months ahead...whether you eat there, at Chops, or not at all. :D

The decision is really based on the economic theory of Utility...but that is another story ;)

To that, one might argue that in essence the MDR meal at that point is a sunk cost since it is already factored into the fare -- therefore that cost should be ignored as it is not an opportunity cost as you prescribe. It is gone the minute you pay the final payment months ahead...whether you eat there, at Chops, or not at all. :D

The decision is really based on the economic theory of Utility...but that is another story ;)

I agree with this as well. The MDR meal is a "sunk" cost. It is not however "free".

I agree with this as well. The MDR meal is a "sunk" cost. It is not however "free".

Nothing is "free" on a cruise ship and I do chuckle everytime I see that word around here ;) One way or another, you are paying for it! Whether its an upcharge or included in the cruise fare!

Nothing is "free" on a cruise ship and I do chuckle everytime I see that word around here ;) One way or another, you are paying for it! Whether its an upcharge or included in the cruise fare!

FALSE: They are happy to provide you with a complimentary copy of your SeaPass account balance on the last evening of the cruise :D.

FALSE: They are happy to provide you with a complimentary copy of your SeaPass account balance on the last evening of the cruise :D.

Don't you think they have factored the cost of paper, toner, the employee pay who printed the statement, maybe the pay of the person who delivered it, the associated benefits, etc. into the cost they need to cover when setting the prices for the cruise.

TANSTAAFL!!!!

:p:D

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. It would be less painful than going through life making simple decisions that complicated.......:D

Don't you think they have factored the cost of paper, toner, the employee pay who printed the statement, maybe the pay of the person who delivered it, the associated benefits, etc. into the cost they need to cover when setting the prices for the cruise.

TANSTAAFL!!!!

:p:D

I stand corrected. That is why my total fare was not an even dollar amount! They needed that extra $0.74 for this purpose! :rolleyes:

I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. It would be less painful than going through life making simple decisions that complicated.......:D

That goes for me as well. I was just pointing out that if you are going to compare the experiences at Chops with say Ruth's Crist you need to consider the real cost.

Fortuantely we are in a place, for the most part, that if we want a nice meal at a top establishment we just go there and eat. We enjoy those experiences...and save our money but not smoking, VERY limited adult beverages, no cable TV, etc.

Life is all about choices. ;)

Archived