Be sure to check if MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN is covered!

RJ2002

I am in the process of comparing policies on insuremytrip dot com, for an upcoming cruise on HAL.

Separately, I've been monitoring the threads on the Celebrity board, concerning the cancellations of the Celebrity Millennium cruises due to propulsion problems. Several folks have commented about the fact that MECHANICAL BREAKDOWNS are not always covered in travel (cruise) insurance policies.

I have to admit that I'd never searched the policies for that coverage before. I just assumed that it would be covered. Of the four policies I was considering for my upcoming trip, only two of them covered mechanical breakdowns!

One easy way to check this is as follows:

Whatever site you are using to purchase insurance, click on the link (hopefully they all have them) where you can view the entire policy you are considering. Do a "control F" and search for the term "mechanical". You'll quickly learn if mechanical breakdowns are covered or not.

Celebrity is covering 100% of the cruise fare, plus all airline change fees. I'm not sure what you would claim as a loss for travel insurance, even if your policy covered mechanical failure.

Although I would venture to guess that any "trip interruption" provision would cover the Celebrity situation.

Celebrity is covering 100% of the cruise fare, plus all airline change fees. I'm not sure what you would claim as a loss for travel insurance, even if your policy covered mechanical failure.

Although I would venture to guess that any "trip interruption" provision would cover the Celebrity situation.

I don't know but I would think that if you wanted to take that free cruise you might still need to buy another ticket to where they're sailing from and still be out the original airfare.

Some things that come to mind that Celebrity is apparently not covering:

+ prepaid pre/post cruise hotel costs

+ prepaid third party transfer costs

+ prepaid third party tour (shore excursion) costs

Some folks on the Celebrity threads are also reporting that they are incurring change fees in excess of the $200/pp which Celebrity is offering. Not sure I understand that, unless perhaps it is related to a fare difference they are incurring to get themselves home.

Anyway, absent the "mechanical breakdown" language in a policy, I don't think it is clear at all that these folks would be covered by the trip interruption provision (for those on the current cruise) or the trip cancellation provision (for those on the future cruises which were cancelled).

I'll bet there are many Cruisers, like me, who really don't read the 'Fine Print' on anything. I just posted a thread here asking about $Platinum$ 'Bulletproof/No Exception' insurance. Jump in if you know how expensive it is. I don't. Locomotiveman Tom

I'll bet there are many Cruisers, like me, who really don't read the 'Fine Print' on anything. I just posted a thread here asking about $Platinum$ 'Bulletproof/No Exception' insurance. Jump in if you know how expensive it is. I don't. Locomotiveman Tom

Sounds intriguing. I hope someone has more info.

There do exist "no exceptions" policies for cancellation, but not for interruption/delay.

Some policies cover "any common carrier delay" and/or "complete cessation of services in excess of 24 hours" and/or explicitly covering mechanical breakdown.

Unlike say, Auto or Homeowners policies, there is no "standard form" for trip insurance.

There do exist "no exceptions" policies for cancellation, but not for interruption/delay.

Some policies cover "any common carrier delay" and/or "complete cessation of services in excess of 24 hours" and/or explicitly covering mechanical breakdown.

Unlike say, Auto or Homeowners policies, there is no "standard form" for trip insurance.

Sounds good. I wonder where one goes to get them.

Kentskie and Sirwired,

An Auto Accident getting to the Airport, the Cruise curtailed 2/3rd-way thru? Methinks a traveler is often 'Outa Luck' getting reimbursed for a lost cruise and various expenses we all incur should anything wacky happen to mess things up. I'm not paying $1,000p/p to cover a 30-day cruise...and then not be made whole, but I can understand why others might.

I was non-plussed reading about the 'Travel Insurer's reply to gal who's Alaska trip was cancelled. "Fly to Vancouver and enjoy your time at the Hotel...we ain't paying nuthin'." Yikes. Locomotiveman Tom

There could be multiple things that Celebrity isn't covering including a prepaid hotel at the end of the cruise, private excursions which were paid for and non-refundable but missed, downgrades in air travel for those who booked first class seats and now can't use them as they are flying back on a different day, the list goes on.

Kentskie and Sirwired,

An Auto Accident getting to the Airport, the Cruise curtailed 2/3rd-way thru? Methinks a traveler is often 'Outa Luck' getting reimbursed for a lost cruise and various expenses we all incur should anything wacky happen to mess things up. I'm not paying $1,000p/p to cover a 30-day cruise...and then not be made whole, but I can understand why others might.

I was non-plussed reading about the 'Travel Insurer's reply to gal who's Alaska trip was cancelled. "Fly to Vancouver and enjoy your time at the Hotel...we ain't paying nuthin'." Yikes. Locomotiveman Tom

Actually, getting into an accident on the way to the airport is a pretty common "covered reason" on trip insurance policies.

There could be multiple things that Celebrity isn't covering including a prepaid hotel at the end of the cruise, private excursions which were paid for and non-refundable but missed, downgrades in air travel for those who booked first class seats and now can't use them as they are flying back on a different day, the list goes on.

Good points.

Actually, getting into an accident on the way to the airport is a pretty common "covered reason" on trip insurance policies.

Once on the way to a cruise an airplane landed on the freeway which closed that side. Fortunately on the other side, although it did slow our side down. Also fortunately we had left early enough so we made it. Now we always leave in plenty of time.

+ prepaid third party tour (shore excursion) costs

Every shore excursion operator that I've seen or even considered booking provides for refund in full if the ship misses the port. These cancelled cruisers are certainly missing those ports. The excursion operators all know that such things happen, and their income depends on their reputation for dealing with cruisers.

Yes, there are things that Celebrity most likely will not cover (nor would any other business), but let's not go overboard. (If you happened to book a tour operator that doesn't refund due to missed ports, well, IMO that's not Celebrity's problem.)

Every shore excursion operator that I've seen or even considered booking provides for refund in full if the ship misses the port. These cancelled cruisers are certainly missing those ports. The excursion operators all know that such things happen, and their income depends on their reputation for dealing with cruisers.

Yes, there are things that Celebrity most likely will not cover (nor would any other business), but let's not go overboard. (If you happened to book a tour operator that doesn't refund due to missed ports, well, IMO that's not Celebrity's problem.)

There was a posting by one of the Celebrity passengers that they had incurred a cancellation fee with a third party tour company, so it can happen.

I don't think anyone is going "overboard" here. I understand that Celebrity (or any cruise line) would not accept responsibility for certain losses due to a cancellation. That's what travel insurance is for, which is the subject of this thread and forum.

RJ2002

I ran a few more 'Dummy Quotes' thru http://www.insuremytrip. Lots of policies won't insure people residing in my state in the USA, nor will several cover trips over 30-days, etc etc. My eyes glazed over after a few pages...but methinks 'Travel Insurance' beyond using a Credit Card and an established Travel Agent is not for us as our Cruises aren't the lavish sort. The cost for TI seems expensive for what one gets after all is said and done. Locomotiveman Tom

RJ2002

I ran a few more 'Dummy Quotes' thru http://www.insuremytrip. Lots of policies won't insure people residing in my state in the USA, nor will several cover trips over 30-days, etc etc. My eyes glazed over after a few pages...but methinks 'Travel Insurance' beyond using a Credit Card and an established Travel Agent is not for us as our Cruises aren't the lavish sort. The cost for TI seems expensive for what one gets after all is said and done. Locomotiveman Tom

Thanks for your research.

P.S. DW is from MN married to a CA dude. :)

RJ2002

I can totally understand your feelings. Trying to make sense of all the information that is displayed and compared -- company by company and policy by policy -- can be mind-numbing! Getting travel insurance is absolutely a personal decision.

For me, 5 years ago, I had to cancel a cruise 2 weeks before sailing. My traveling companion broke a foot and required surgery. The insurance paid 100% of the cruise fare, air fare, etc. I was only out the cost of the policy itself. Otherwise, I'd have lost around $4000. So, I am a believer in insurance.

Thanks for your comment. :)

I can totally understand your feelings. Trying to make sense of all the information that is displayed and compared -- company by company and policy by policy -- can be mind-numbing! Getting travel insurance is absolutely a personal decision.

For me, 5 years ago, I had to cancel a cruise 2 weeks before sailing. My traveling companion broke a foot and required surgery. The insurance paid 100% of the cruise fare, air fare, etc. I was only out the cost of the policy itself. Otherwise, I'd have lost around $4000. So, I am a believer in insurance.

Thanks for your comment. :)

Great testimonial for getting insurance. I'm sorry that your companion broke their foot and you had to cancel but I'm glad you weren't out $4K that would have added insult to injury.

Archived