Sheltered balconies on QM2

knot knormal

They are staterooms on decks 4, 5 and 6, maybe also 7, that are cut into the hull so they have metal surrounds. Like windows cut into a house. You can't see the sea while sitting down. They are very protected in bad weather and are popular on TA's during non summer months. I like them, they do allow you to have your own balcony space if you want fresh air. 3u6e7yqy.jpgnasemy5a.jpg

The sheltered balconies are also referred to as in-hull balconies. Once again, Pepperrn has some great pictures.
Scroll down to the 10th row of pictures.

There are also a couple of pictures on Cunard's FAQ.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/sheletered_QV

Savannahrose:

We had a sheltered balcony on our last crossing and really enjoyed it.

It was on the 4th deck which was so nice as it was closer to the water

and the fact it was in-hull gave us lots of protection when the days

were cooler and if it rained.

Would book one every time.

Love your screen name and Savannah is one of our favorite southern cities.

best regards,

seasidegal

Once again, Pepperrn has some great pictures.http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/72157623902207769/ Scroll down to the 10th row of pictures.
Thank you Scrapnana :o , thank you.

Sincere best wishes and happy sailings :) .

The sheltered balconies are also referred to as in-hull balconies. Once again, Pepperrn has some great pictures.
Scroll down to the 10th row of pictures.

There are also a couple of pictures on Cunard's FAQ.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/sheletered_QV

Hi Kathi,

Yes, Pepperrn has a lot of useful imformation. I rarely come here, but when I do I always read Pepperrn's posts.

Marie

Edited by Porthopper101

Hi Kathi,Yes, Pepperrn has a lot of useful imformation. I rarely come here, but when I do I always read Pepperrn's posts.Marie
Hi Kathi, thank you very much for the lovely compliment :o . There are so many friendly, experienced and informative people on the Cunard board, and I've learnt so much from them. Thank you again, all best wishes and many happy sailings for the future :) . Edited by pepperrn

Hi Kathi, thank you very much for the lovely compliment. There are so many friendly, experienced and informative people on the Cunard board, and I've learnt so much from them. Thank you again, all best wishes and many happy sailings for the future.
I should have said "Thank you Marie!":o :o :o . Please forgive me :o :o :o .

• 5 months later...

Very nice photos, PepperM, and the albums on Flickr in particular! Neatly organized; makes a heck of a good reference! I sent the URL to our TA for future reference, as she didn't have any decent pics of what the different balconies look like.

Very nice photos, PepperM, and the albums on Flickr in particular! Neatly organized; makes a heck of a good reference! I sent the URL to our TA for future reference, as she didn't have any decent pics of what the different balconies look like.
Thank you Jackytar :o , I hope to be adding many more photos this year. All best wishes :) .

We have had a hull balcony several times and really like the.

Do I remember correctly they used to be less expensive than the glass balconies on the upper decks? That does not seem to be the situation now.

For what it's worth, Herself and I are in the process of making our arrangements, and the more open, unobstructed balconies on 11 or 12 deck seem to be priced an extra $200 or more than the sheltered one we've booked on deck 6.

(still getting used to how Cunard numbers their decks; I'm used to Navy-style, which numbers them downward from the weatherdeck :) )

For what it's worth, Herself and I are in the process of making our arrangements, and the more open, unobstructed balconies on 11 or 12 deck seem to be priced an extra $200 or more than the sheltered one we've booked on deck 6.

(still getting used to how Cunard numbers their decks; I'm used to Navy-style, which numbers them downward from the weatherdeck :) )

Thanks for that info. We have just started the process of booking for the New England/Canada trip on September 15, 2014. I told our TA any balcony would be fine; didn't even mention the hull balconies to him. shall now do so and see if that makes a difference in price. Edith

Thanks for that info. We have just started the process of booking for the New England/Canada trip on September 15, 2014. I told our TA any balcony would be fine; didn't even mention the hull balconies to him. shall now do so and see if that makes a difference in price. Edith

You may also want to direct your TA to NOT book an "obstructed view" balcony, which are the bulk of the balcony cabins on Deck 8 of the QM2. You can check photos of the views from these cabins on the Cunard website here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/obstructed-views/; just pick which ship you'll be on and you'll get a page listing each individual obstructed view cabin and a link to a photo of the view. On the QM2, they pretty much all have a great view of a big orange lifeboat, right smack in the middle of your field of view.

You may also want to direct your TA to NOT book an "obstructed view" balcony, which are the bulk of the balcony cabins on Deck 8 of the QM2. You can check photos of the views from these cabins on the Cunard website here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/obstructed-views/; just pick which ship you'll be on and you'll get a page listing each individual obstructed view cabin and a link to a photo of the view. On the QM2, they pretty much all have a great view of a big orange lifeboat, right smack in the middle of your field of view.

THANKS for the "heads up" but we have had obstructed, hull and glass balconies on several trips. Even tried out the atrium cabins one trip. We enjoy them all. I am looking primarily at price difference right now.

Does it make a difference in the size of the balcony and type of balcony furniture when booking a "sheltered balcony" cabin on the QM2 (either BC or BD)? I've seen some pictures on the internet of "sheltered balconies" attributed to the QM2, but the balcony furniture doesn't always seem to be the same. Some photos show only two chairs and a small table, while others show two loungers and a small table.

I hope that someone knows the details of this, so we can make the proper selection. We'd prefer to have loungers rather than chairs, but if the depth of the balcony won't allow that, it is understandable.

Also, is it possible to have your cabin stewards take out the balcony chairs and replace them with loungers if the space allows it?

Debjo

Does it make a difference in the size of the balcony and type of balcony furniture when booking a "sheltered balcony" cabin on the QM2 (either BC or BD)? I've seen some pictures on the internet of "sheltered balconies" attributed to the QM2, but the balcony furniture doesn't always seem to be the same. Some photos show only two chairs and a small table, while others show two loungers and a small table.

I hope that someone knows the details of this, so we can make the proper selection. We'd prefer to have loungers rather than chairs, but if the depth of the balcony won't allow that, it is understandable.

Also, is it possible to have your cabin stewards take out the balcony chairs and replace them with loungers if the space allows it?

Debjo

Hi debjo,

As far as I am aware the loungers (plastic resin) were removed after the Star Princess fire (March 2006) as a fire risk, so pictures that show them must be quite old now (they were there on my first QM2 crossing in 2006, but gone a year or so later when I was on a cruise. They also fitted sprinklers on all the balconies at the same time as removing the loungers, so I was told). Now they all have two chairs and a small table, and as far as I know, there are no other options (other than providing an extra chair if needed). Sorry to bring you the bad news.

They were rather over-large and impractical for the "balcony", esp when trying to move them about, or if there were more than two people out there. I prefer the current chairs as there is a far greater feeling of space and it makes things easier to keep clean. Also, the loungers had cushions which became wet very quickly, not every passenger brought them indoors when it was raining or there was spray about, they took ages to dry, and the next passengers in the cabin on the following cruise often found them still soaking wet (I know I did)...

I hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks Pepper for your prompt response. I find it is always better to have a picture in your mind of what to REALLY expect, rather than be thinking one thing and then find another, which could be disappointing. Now, we'll go figuring that there will just be two chairs and a table, but also plenty of room to move about out on the balcony.

Debjo

Thank you Pepper for making available so many photos of in and around QM2. We are boarding this magnificent ship for the first time next week, and your photos have made me even more excited than I was in the first place. :)

I'm going to do a little blog of my experience onboard.

Jill:)

Thank you Pepper for making available so many photos of in and around QM2. We are boarding this magnificent ship for the first time next week, and your photos have made me even more excited than I was in the first place. :) I'm going to do a little blog of my experience onboard.Jill:)
Hi Jill, and thank you for your kind words :o , I'm glad if the photos help to increase your excitement, I'm sure you'll love QM2, I do (!) and have four trips booked or planned on her for this year. Thank you again, have the the most wonderful time, Bon Voyage! :) Edited by pepperrn