Sheltered balconies on QM2

knot knormal

For brigittetom...

I like your idea of thinking that the "sheltered balcony" is like having another room added to your cabin. Thanks for sharing!

For pepperrn...

We finally had a chance to look over all your terrific photos of the balcony cabins on the QM2. You've done a fine job in taking them and we have a pretty good idea of what to expect when we board this ship for our Transatlantic voyage. Knowing it is hard to tell from a photo, but I find myself wondering if there is adequate closet / shelving / drawer space to hang two peoples clothing (with a couple different outfits for each day) in the sheltered balcony cabins? Also, I know there will only be a shower in the bathroom area (and I'll be missing having a bathtub), and wonder if there is any counter space around or under the sink to place our toiletry bag rather than unpack it and put everything in the pockets of a cloth shoe bag hung on the door? And one more question (for now)...we really don't like to put our suitcases under the bed or take up space in the closet, but we really don't see much space for the suitcases anywhere in the cabin, except in-between the sofa and window. Do you have any suggestions?

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge you give everyone from your Cunard cruise experiences!

Debjo

Edited by debjo

Lots of storage under the bathroom sink.

The next grade of cabin with more closet space is a Princess Grill cabin. Whether that's within your budget is up to you. We have no problem in a balcony cabin (sheltered or otherwise) for 12-14 nights.

debjo, trust me on this....there is plenty of room in the bathroom for storage and in the closets as well. We have done 26 days in a sheltered balcony cabin..and don't forget about the world cruisesers. One thing that was provided by our first female stewardess...put a washcloth in the right hand corner of the counter in the bathroom and use that as the base for all makeup items. The two glass shelves, use for all bottled items.

Storing the luggage under the bed is the only option because there is only room for one case next to the sofa and it really seems to detract from the ambiance of a well kept cabin....in my mind only. :)

We will be on your crossing as well and I'm really looking forward to the sail away. Also, I'm looking forward to meeting you and hearing about how all of your worries were unfounded. :)

... For pepperrn... We finally had a chance to look over all your terrific photos of the balcony cabins on the QM2. You've done a fine job in taking them and we have a pretty good idea of what to expect when we board this ship for our Transatlantic voyage. Knowing it is hard to tell from a photo, but I find myself wondering if there is adequate closet / shelving / drawer space to hang two peoples clothing (with a couple different outfits for each day) in the sheltered balcony cabins? Also, I know there will only be a shower in the bathroom area (and I'll be missing having a bathtub), and wonder if there is any counter space around or under the sink to place our toiletry bag rather than unpack it and put everything in the pockets of a cloth shoe bag hung on the door? And one more question (for now)...we really don't like to put our suitcases under the bed or take up space in the closet, but we really don't see much space for the suitcases anywhere in the cabin, except in-between the sofa and window. Do you have any suggestions? I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge you give everyone from your Cunard cruise experiences! Debjo
Hi again Dedjo, Thank you for your very kind and generous words :o .

I have to agree with brigittetom and underwatr, there is plenty of space in the wardrobes, cupboards, drawers in the cabin and on the shelves in the bathroom cupboard. As for suitcases, under the bed whether you're keen or not, sorry :( (unless you've so many cases :eek: they won't all fit, then you could ask your steward very nicely for extra storage, but the first place he/she will fill up, will be under the bed, putting one empty case inside another. And they may well say "sorry, no extra storage space"). You won't see them as the valance hides them, you'll never know they are there, and like brigittetom, I'm not keen on them cluttering up the cabin. I find that hand-luggage and smaller bags will go in the wardrobes on the high top shelves, in back corners. There is a lot more space than you might at first imagine in the cabin and bathroom.

Thank you again, glad you found the photos useful.

I hope you have a wonderful crossing in May on QM2 :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Thank you Underwatr, brigittetom, and pepperrn! All your positive and affirming comments about the "storage" space in the sheltered balcony cabins on the Qm2 have relieved us of that concern. DH was contemplating bringing along a couple large plastic bags to put our empty luggage into and store them, if need be, on the balcony! :eek:

We used to travel with three large suitcases and two carry-ons. DH likes to buy a lot of souvenirs when we travel, so we always allow for extra space in our luggage when we first begin our journeys. With all the airline restrictions and extra fees involved for additional luggage these days, it has been difficult reducing down to just two large suitcases and two carry-ons. Invariably, we usually end up purchasing another satchel of some sort during our trips these days, to contain all of DH souvenir purchases.

Unfortunately, our two large suitcases do not fit inside one another...if they did, that would definitely lessen the space required to house them in our cabin during the cruise. With your words of wisdom, I'm sure we'll be able to "fit" everything in our cabin after all...even if we have to tuck them beneath the bed.

Gratefully,

Debjo

P.S. brigittetom, I also look forward to meeting you on this voyage and we are very excited about the planned special events honoring the 10th Anniversary of the QM2. We just wish we knew more about what to expect, then our anticipation of this trip would be even greater!

I don't know what to expect either but it's going to be very special. We sailed in with the other two for the Queens Jubilee. I was up and down all night looking for them, then on deck at 6:30 for music and flag waving. By the time we left the ship, I was so tired and even disappointed that I hadn't seen the maneuvering of the other ships. When we got home and looked at the pictures.....there I was at the railing with the two right in the background. :p

One of the first things I'm going to do is go out on deck 8 to spot the other two. Hopefully we'll have good deck weather so the band will be on deck 8 for the sail away. They will hand out flags (there's a light weight souvenir for your husband), and there will be a lot of whistle blowing between the three and fireworks. We will lead out feeling very special indeed. Again, weather permitting, we'll stay on deck just watching and enjoying the sight of it all. Depending on sail away time, I'm very willing to miss the first nights dinner to be on deck until the other two are out of sight. Somewhere in the middle of all this, I'll have unpacked and finished the bottle of Pol Acker. :)

We always have two large cases, two carry ons, and one large garment bag and all fit under the bed nicely. I just have a thing about not wanting any luggage in sight because it makes the lovely cabin look so temporary instead of elegant. May I ask why you don't want your luggage under the bed? We've always had good luck on our crossings and have been able to use the balcony most days so the luggage out there would detract as well. Then again, most people don't have my obsession of not wanting to look at luggage. :)

For brigettetom...

Not that we've every really run into real problems(in hotels or ships)...I just don't like looking under beds and finding "who knows what" under there...generally the areas under the beds are the last and most often forgotten areas to be cleaned...and I don't want to be bringing any unwelcomed "things" home with me.

Neither do I want to clutter our cabin with our suitcases...and as "Pushka" stated, I too don't want to be reminded of packing once I've unpacked everything...that is until it is time to go home.

So, I think we'll take along a couple large plastic bags to put our suitcases in...and then slide them under the bed, as it seems that is probably the only place we'll be able to store them during the week we're sailing.

Debjo

For brigettetom...

Not that we've every really run into real problems(in hotels or ships)...I just don't like looking under beds and finding "who knows what" under there...generally the areas under the beds are the last and most often forgotten areas to be cleaned...and I don't want to be bringing any unwelcomed "things" home with me.

Debjo

I'm sure you must be mistaken, they ALWAYS clean under the beds......except for the time we found someone's forgotten suitcase. :eek::D. Since you are worried....the plastic bags sound like a great idea.