Vancouver to Seattle Train

travln1234

Is it possible to take the train to Seattle the day of disembarkation and then to fly out of Seattle to San Francisco same day? I see the times but I'm wondering if anyone has done such a thing (if not to SFO, then to whatever airport they flew to). Don't really want to get a hotel room that night, due to work. Would rather have 1 day of non-travel before going back to work.

I'm guessing that on the reverse - Seattle to Vancouver train - that it's not possible to go same-day as embarkation? It's probably cutting it too close if we fly in that morning to Seattle from SFO. IDK if it's even a possibility. Looking at saving a few bucks by flying into/out of Seattle rather than Vancouver (plus, the train would be a thrill for my DD), but hotels sort of make saving any money pointless.

Edited by travln1234

Be sure you're looking at train times and not bus times published on the Amtrak schedule. (They list both, which can often be confusing.)

The morning train departure from Vancouver is too early for passengers disembarking from cruises that day (no time to get to the train station) and the evening train departure from Vancouver arrives in Seattle too late to make any flights out, except red-eyes to the Midwest or east coast.

The morning train from Seattle to Vancouver arrives in enough time to get to the ships, but it leaves the station before you could get to Seattle from California (or anywhere else, really) that morning.

Is it possible to take the train to Seattle the day of disembarkation and then to fly out of Seattle to San Francisco same day? I see the times but I'm wondering if anyone has done such a thing (if not to SFO, then to whatever airport they flew to). Don't really want to get a hotel room that night, due to work. Would rather have 1 day of non-travel before going back to work.

I'm guessing that on the reverse - Seattle to Vancouver train - that it's not possible to go same-day as embarkation? It's probably cutting it too close if we fly in that morning to Seattle from SFO. IDK if it's even a possibility. Looking at saving a few bucks by flying into/out of Seattle rather than Vancouver (plus, the train would be a thrill for my DD), but hotels sort of make saving any money pointless.

There is a bus service...very nice and clean and comfortable with a bathroom onboard ...that goes directly from the pier to the airport ...considering you have to cross the border. So, Vancouver pier to Seattle airport with plenty of time to fly back to SFO. We sometimes take the one from Vancouver to Bellingham ...it is about 2 hours in all with border stop, but that time can very. We sometimes fly back from there....into Oakland. They also have a non-stop express bus from the Vancouver port to the Seattle airport. Price is under $50 pp ....such a deal and they are very good at what they do. The only part that might be tricky is that the border crossing can vary in timing....check to see if it might be a busy border crossing day (weekends, holidays) and book your flight back accordingly.

It's probably not worth it. YVR-SFO isn't really that much more than SEA-SFO by the time you factor in the transfer

• 3 years later...

While it is possible to take the train the day of embarkation according to the schedules (scheduled arrival at 11:45am), I do not recommend it. On Sat. June 16, 2017 the train didn't arrive until after 3pm. On Sun June 17, 2017 it arrived after 2pm. If you cannot take the train the day before, I'd recommend the bus or renting a car one way.

While it is possible to take the train the day of embarkation according to the schedules (scheduled arrival at 11:45am), I do not recommend it. On Sat. June 16, 2017 the train didn't arrive until after 3pm. On Sun June 17, 2017 it arrived after 2pm. If you cannot take the train the day before, I'd recommend the bus or renting a car one way.

Check the thread date...it's from 2013