Review and Journal: Sapphire Northbound Voyage of the Glaciers 8/10/2013

JimmyVWine

Go again! Your review was one of the best ever! You have been talked about on so many other lines here. I think almost everyone has been reading along. Your photos are fantastic, your journal outstanding! I relived our trip there over and over.

And yes, ANYONE who is there should go to the museum! So much history there!!!!!

Thank you for all your work at taking us along with your family on your trip!

Very nice and detailed review. It's fascinating to read someone else's experiences on the same exact cruise. I snapped many of those same pictures and think I must've been standing very close to you on sailaway day :)

My daughter saw those same Orcas on day 1. Living in Florida, she thought they were dolphins :). We never saw any. That first sea day was almost a waste from a picture standpoint. I got many of the same foggy landscape shots as you.

We were in D418 on the port side, probably 10 rooms down from you. Son and daughter were in D420.

I agree wholeheartedly on the entertainment venues, but note that the production shows were not up to par with other cruise lines (specifically RCCL) that I have been on. The stage in the Princess theater seems small. Shows were sparsely attended and for the first time in my cruising life I saw people get up and leave in the middle of a show.

I look forward to reading more of your review, and thanks for the pictures! The Orca ones will be priceless to my daughter.

"The only food that was horrid, and I do mean horrid, was what was labeled in the warming tray as “Turkey Sausage.” Wow. I have no idea what was in this, but if I had to guess, I would say feathers, beak, and no other part of the turkey with which I am familiar. I am not one to spit out food, at least not unless there is an involuntary reflex reaction involved…(flashback to a bad Tequila episode in college :eek:)…, but this was a close call. I managed to get ‘er down. But it was a struggle."

Haha, I had the same experience, only one day 1. I saw that turkey sausage and thought- hey, I'll make one sacrifice for a healthier me. Not again, though. My other experience was with the scrambled eggs. While not uneatable, they weren't very good. We had breakfast in one of the MDR where I ordered scrambled eggs that were very good. There was no comparison.

Absolutelty fantastic review - thank you so much for taking the time to post, and all the beautiful photos, not to mention the quotes by your daughter. her last quote was particularly poignant, and really made me smile. Trust me - you'll be back;), and while it may not be the same perfect-for-you experience, it will be spectacular. Take it from one who knows - thought my first trip to AK in 2006 would be my only one. Funny how God laughs when you make plans, isn't it? After four cruises to AK - two 7 day, two 14-day with another 14 day planned next year, plus a 17 day land only trip this past June, we've now decided to retire to Alaska (in about 8 years). It is THAT special, as you have now discovered for yourself.

Again, much appreciated your review - thanx for taking us along for the ride!

Go again!

I suspect I will. But there is a lot more of the world to see, and making the trek to Alaska from the East Coast is rather daunting. Next on my daughter's "wish list" is a trip to the Greek Isles (likely a crusie), or a land-based trip to Spain. The former will require a couple year's of saving unless the prices for next summer come way down.

You sir are an artist and a wonderful storyteller...even your epilogue was spot on. Thanks for sharing your trip. I think I might have to deal with post cruise disease for a while...

Thank you very much. It was fun to compose, and I am glad that others enjoyed it as well. I am indeed suffering from post-cruise malaise for which the only cure is to start planning the next adventure.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I suspect I will. But there is a lot more of the world to see, and making the trek to Alaska from the East Coast is rather daunting. Next on my daughter's "wish list" is a trip to the Greek Isles (likely a crusie), or a land-based trip to Spain. The former will require a couple year's of saving unless the prices for next summer come way down.

We too are near the east coast - costly to go back to Alaska. And it is always hard to go on any cruise without flying somewhere first!

We are on our last year of being 'College poor' as our DD will graduate in the spring without a single loan taken out by any of us! So, cruises have taken a lot of planning the past 4 years but we have managed some short ones, just so we don't go crazy from not cruising!

I will await your coffers overflowing so I can once again read one of your reviews. I think I have 'heard' on at least 6 other threads about this one. EVERYONE is singing praises for a job well done!

Thanks again for taking us all along!

Thank you very much. It was fun to compose, and I am glad that others enjoyed it as well. I am indeed suffering from post-cruise malaise for which the only cure is to start planning the next adventure.

Great read and I echo what others have said, thank you for doing this! We sail southbound in 10 days, I noticed your drink of choice seemed to be wine, as a draft beer connoisseur, did you happen to notice what kind of beer they had on draft, if any? Thanks once again!

...as a draft beer connoisseur, did you happen to notice what kind of beer they had on draft, if any? Thanks once again!

I did not. We had a few bottles while on board, and I lean toward Guinness. There are taps in the Wheelhouse, so perhaps someone else knows what they currently pour.

Jimmy, thank you so much for your wonderful review and fabulous pictures! DH and I cruise southbound on HAL in June 2014 and I can't wait! Your review and pictures have gotten me so excited. We are taking a 3 day pre- cruise land tour to Denali. I hope our trip is half as wonderful as yours was.

I also live in CT, probably not far from you. There is an eagle nesting and viewing area on the Housatonic River a few miles from my house.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us!

Judy

Thank you so much for your totally engaging review and spectacular photos! My husband and I sailed southbound on the Sapphire August 3-10. Seeing your pictures made me feel homesick for those gorgeous views :(

Your comments on the Alaska Transfer and Conservation Tour made me chuckle. We had the same trip in reverse, from Anchorage to Whittier. Our "tour guide" was a bit more informed and personable than yours, but still not quite what we had expected. Seeing the "wildlife" at the conservation center was a bit of a prelude to the real thing. When we stopped at Beluga Point it was raining and windy, so we only stayed there for about 5 minutes.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Sapphire, and would love to sail on her again. We definitely want to return to Alaska one day... perhaps we'll do a land tour to Denali before the cruise next time around.

Thanks again!

This is by far the best review I have read on CC. Thank you!
What a great review. I thoroughly enjoyed the pictures and the writing. I'm doing the southbound Cruisetour on the Coral in May so your review will come in handy. I will refer to it as I plan my excursions. Thank you again.

Thank you both for the sentiments. Enjoy your cruise on Coral. Lots of neat places to view the scenery.

Thank you so much for your totally engaging review and spectacular photos! My husband and I sailed southbound on the Sapphire August 3-10. Seeing your pictures made me feel homesick for those gorgeous views :(

It was my hope to bring back some memories....both for us and others. Glad it helped you. And the best cure for homesicknesses is to return!

LOVE..LOVE...LOVE reviews with photos and yours, Jimmy, was terrific! We did the Inside Passage on the Island on the first cruise of the season in May 2012, so we really enjoyed the contrast in photos. On our cruise it was cold and everything was covered in snow and we didn't see much sun, but the beauty.......WOW. Seeing your photos showed a whole different view of the same Alaska that we saw, so thank you for posting.

We were told, while in Glacier Bay, that the cloudy weather would enhance the blue in the ice for photos but obviously a clear sunny day is just as amazing, if not more so.

Gotta go back!!