7 days until Freedom!

The year-long wait is about over! In 7 days, we will be on the Freedom for the 3rd time, and I am so looking forward to it...

The last 2 cruises were "ruined" by unforeseen events, so I am hoping that PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE the next 7 days are quiet and peaceful. I am almost starting to feel like we are cursed cruisers.

On our Monarch cruise, my wife's uncle died unexpectedly literally days before we were supposed to leave. She didn't talk to him more than 2 or 3 times in the many years we had been together, but she was getting grief from her family because she was not going to be there for the wake/funeral... I didn't know if she was going until the plane actually took off from ORD.

On our last Freedom cruise, my poor wife lost her job 8 days before the cruise. We are responsible financially, so it really wouldn't have hurt us, but she still refused to leave the port area or spend any money on the ship beyond our accumulated OBC.... The worst part about it is that she wanted to check her email before we left because she was trying to get her old job back. I wouldn't let her, because I didn't want her any more bummed out if it didn't work out. Turns out, had I let her, she would have known she got her old job back at the old company we used to work for...

So of course, I have been pretty much nervous for the past month, waiting for something bad to happen before this cruise. I am constantly checking NHC.NOAA.GOV, checking our flight, making sure that everybody is happy and healthy... and all has been well... until last night when my son decides to come down with a fever... NICE. Took him to the doctor to get him some antibiotics for a suspected infection in his skinned knee (3 year olds and gravity don't mix)....

Last Freedom cruise they stole cabin 1400 from us and "upgraded" us at the pier... that sucked too... I am watching my cabin daily... still 1402....

Keep fingers and toes crossed and prayers going for me for the next few days, will ya?? Keep an asteroid from crashing into my house or some other stupid thing... I really need this cruise!

Don

The year-long wait is about over! In 7 days, we will be on the Freedom for the 3rd time, and I am so looking forward to it...

The last 2 cruises were "ruined" by unforeseen events, so I am hoping that PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE the next 7 days are quiet and peaceful. I am almost starting to feel like we are cursed cruisers.

On our Monarch cruise, my wife's uncle died unexpectedly literally days before we were supposed to leave. She didn't talk to him more than 2 or 3 times in the many years we had been together, but she was getting grief from her family because she was not going to be there for the wake/funeral... I didn't know if she was going until the plane actually took off from ORD.

On our last Freedom cruise, my poor wife lost her job 8 days before the cruise. We are responsible financially, so it really wouldn't have hurt us, but she still refused to leave the port area or spend any money on the ship beyond our accumulated OBC.... The worst part about it is that she wanted to check her email before we left because she was trying to get her old job back. I wouldn't let her, because I didn't want her any more bummed out if it didn't work out. Turns out, had I let her, she would have known she got her old job back at the old company we used to work for...

So of course, I have been pretty much nervous for the past month, waiting for something bad to happen before this cruise. I am constantly checking NHC.NOAA.GOV, checking our flight, making sure that everybody is happy and healthy... and all has been well... until last night when my son decides to come down with a fever... NICE. Took him to the doctor to get him some antibiotics for a suspected infection in his skinned knee (3 year olds and gravity don't mix)....

Last Freedom cruise they stole cabin 1400 from us and "upgraded" us at the pier... that sucked too... I am watching my cabin daily... still 1402....

Keep fingers and toes crossed and prayers going for me for the next few days, will ya?? Keep an asteroid from crashing into my house or some other stupid thing... I really need this cruise!

Don

goodluck.gif

Don

Bummer !! What a horrible history to your last 2 cruises

I REALLY hope you have a great time on this one with no unexpected events (unless they are nice ones !!)

Don

Don,

We are on your cruise and in cabin 1406:) We have had an active roll call and you would be welcome to join our group. We are a friendly bunch, the more the merrier!

See you on board! Thinking positive thoughts:D

Marilyn

Don-

We are on your sailing and as someone mentioned already you should join our roll call as we are a friendly group!

I hope that everything goes smooth for you the next 7 days and no disasters occur that make it hard to enjoy your cruise! I know that nothing will keep us from enjoying ours!

Debra

Don, we are also on this cruise as well...the last time we cruised was on the Freedom...we loved it so much...going back on her again...Hubby and I are celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary...couldn't ask for a better anniversary gift..."even though our Anniversary was Aug. 20th"...we chose this time because the rates were cheaper...

Anyways, like Marilyn and Debra said you all should join our roll call...we have an absolutely wonderful group that is going on this cruise...and would love for you and your wife to join us...:)

Sheila

Good luck to you. Hope everything goes smoothly this time. I know the disappointment of having to cancel a cruise. I had to cancel my cruise to Alaska as my husband passed away suddenly in an accident.

Let us know when your all packed and ready to go!

... I know the disappointment of having to cancel a cruise. I had to cancel my cruise to Alaska as my husband passed away suddenly in an accident...

So sorry for your loss... Luckily we didn't have to cancel, but there was a dark cloud over the past 2 cruises...

How can royal be blamed for the weather? It is the risk you take if you travel during hurricane season.

What are you talking about? I never blamed RCL for anything... just had some crappy luck with personal items before cruises... and asking for a little prayer/support that it won't happen again this cruise...

take some time to read carefully..:D

We've done an annual cruise in late August for the past 4 or 5 years, and we've only really had one that was affected by a hurricane. That one was last summer - our 7 night Hurricane Isaac Allure cruise got shortened to 5 nights since Port Everglades closed on Sat night until Tues morning that weekend.

We did miss those 2 nights (less time to explore Allure!) and the original itinerary was altered for the best seas, so we didn't make it to Labadee. But all in all we have no complaint - got 2 days of Embassy Suites and meals in Ft Lauderdale fully paid for by RC, plus a $650 OBC, plus a Future Cruise coupon worth 10% of what we had paid for the cruise. Seems like we came out ahead by about $250.:) And it was the first time we've ever disembarked with a negative balance on our bill going back to the credit card. I was amazed! Thus our black cloud had a silver lining.

So now we just don't worry about it!:p And we are on the same Freedom 9/1/13 cruise that you're on. And since we've never yet managed to make it to Labadee, if we miss that port on this cruise you can be sure that WE are the cause, not your 'black clouds' of the past.;)

Judy

To the OP - have you logged into RCCL's website and set your upgrade preferences to "No Upgrade"? I've always welcomed any upgrade, but on my Freedom cruise in two weeks, I have cabin 1700 and there was no way I wanted to lose that cabin - so I entered "No Upgrade" as my preference for that cruise.

When I get back home, I'll go back onto the website and change my selection to "Give me any upgrade you can!" (or whatever wording it says!:D) for my future cruises...

To the OP - have you logged into RCCL's website and set your upgrade preferences to "No Upgrade"? I've always welcomed any upgrade, but on my Freedom cruise in two weeks, I have cabin 1700 and there was no way I wanted to lose that cabin - so I entered "No Upgrade" as my preference for that cruise.

When I get back home, I'll go back onto the website and change my selection to "Give me any upgrade you can!" (or whatever wording it says!:D) for my future cruises...

I'm going on the freedom in 35 days!!!! And I checked the upgrade button and am praying for an upgrade.. But even if I don't get one I will still have a great time!!

I had an entire thread going on about that... I had all my preferences set to "no upgrade without notification"... well, the IT folks at RC decided to change the interface and wiped out everyone's settings... so yes, I did have it set... and I have it set now... but that being said, it still irritated the fire out of me that RC's website people once again screwed everything up... it is unnecessary... I know... it's what I do for a living...

We too are on the next cruise for Freedom. We are going to have a great time. We know that it is hurricane season so we go with no expectations about the weather and that RC will keep us safe. If we never set foot on land we know that it's a wonderful ship and crew and we will have a great time. So come on over to the roll call and sign up for the meet & mingle. Not only do we have a great cruise to look forward to but alot of new friends to share it with!

Archived