Veendam August 17 - August 24, 2013 - Some Random Comments -- Alert -- It's Long!

sail7seas

I'm glad you enjoyed the Veendam, Judy. We loved her when we did the Bermuda cruise two years ago...would sail her again in a heartbeat.

I'm not a fan of the Retreat, either, but there are so many lovely areas of the ship that I just have to overlook that debacle. I love the colors...lots of coral which is my favorite. Although, I don't know why they're having her do Hawaii...for a warm weather location, seem they need two good pools.

I'm glad the lights have been re-installed in the MDR. Can you tell they are not Murano glass but a light weight synthetic? I learned that from the HD on the Ryndam last winter. All the fixtures will eventually be replaced for safety sake.

I enjoyed your review and am happy to hear the Veendam is still in good condition. Too bad about the rear deck. They should have left well enough alone.

I know you had a lovely summer day here in SJ. I always feel so badly for the cruise passengers when it is foggy and drizzly. We didn't get a chance to do our drive by when the Veendam was here. We will be sure to do it when the Eurodam is here because we are picking Lorekauf up.

I'm looking forward to that day too. It's going to be a highlight of my trip.

Sail, glad you enjoyed the Veendam. I too, did not have an smokers around me , or if I did the deck was big enough not to smell it. I've gotten beat up badly by a few posters that told me I make stuff up but it makes it unpleasant to deal with.

I forgot to mention there was no disembarkation talk and I did not hear of Love in Any Language being sung.

We also experienced the new system of electronic survey forms.

I received it by e-mail yesterday afternoon shortly after we returned home. I completed it last night and liked there are plenty of opportunities to write in whatever you wish to say.

For the most part, I think doing it electronically is a good idea. This is a change that seems logical.

Likewise, same as the Oosterdam.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Veendam, Judy. We loved her when we did the Bermuda cruise two years ago...would sail her again in a heartbeat.

I'm not a fan of the Retreat, either, but there are so many lovely areas of the ship that I just have to overlook that debacle. I love the colors...lots of coral which is my favorite. Although, I don't know why they're having her do Hawaii...for a warm weather location, seem they need two good pools.

I'm glad the lights have been re-installed in the MDR. Can you tell they are not Murano glass but a light weight synthetic? I learned that from the HD on the Ryndam last winter. All the fixtures will eventually be replaced for safety sake.

I stood at the rail on upper level and looked directly up at the 'glass' ceiling and truthfully thought it looked fine. I probably knew somewhere in the back of my brain it was synthetic but I saw nothing objectionable about it.

We all thought the MDR, upper level where we were seated, looks lovely. We enjoyed our evenings with good service, attractive surroundings, lovely table settings and for the most part, menus and food to our taste well prepared and plated nicely.

Thanks so much for your detailed and balanced review. I appreciate your comments about the excellent work of specific crew members. I don't know if they ever get a chance to read these reviews but I hope the positive words reach them. Positive feedback makes such a difference in the world of customer service.

One of the best parts of this forum is discovering that many long time cruisers aren't jaded after so many sea days. I love sharing in the adventure, joy and peace you all still derive from your voyages.

Glad you had a great trip and welcome home!

Enjoyed your review, Sail. Does the Maasdam also have the "Retreat" thingy? We will be on her next year, so I'm hoping you will say No! We always like the ambiance around the aft pool, although we're not swimmers. Actually, I may have to take it up, on doctor's orders. :eek:

Thank you for taking time to write your interesting review.

Yes, Captain Bos is excellent.

Am very pleased to read that you did not have smokers in the next door staterooms.

Did you hear any news of HAL banning balcony smoking.

Enjoyed your review, Sail. Does the Maasdam also have the "Retreat" thingy? We will be on her next year, so I'm hoping you will say No! We always like the ambiance around the aft pool, although we're not swimmers. Actually, I may have to take it up, on doctor's orders. :eek:

Not Sail but they realized their mistake after they did the Veendam. The Maasdam is still good.

Thankfully, they realized the poor design of Retreat and only Veendam and Rotterdam lost their aft pools. There have been far fewer complaints about Rotterdam than Veendam so they must not have made quite the mess of her as Veendam's reconfiguration. We have not sailed Rotterdam since that change was made.

Maasdam's Navigation Deck aft pool is one of my DH's favorite spot on all the HAL ships. :) He has spent literally months of his life enjoying that area.

Thankfully, they realized the poor design of Retreat and only Veendam and Rotterdam lost their aft pools. There have been far fewer complaints about Rotterdam than Veendam so they must not have made quite the mess of her as Veendam's reconfiguration. We have not sailed Rotterdam since that change was made.

Does Rotterdam have that sad excuse for a palm tree? I truly loved Veendam. Her color palette is very lovely indeed.

TY so very much for taking the time to not only review, but also offer reassurance to those of us counting down to a cruise aboard the MS Veendam.

After our cruise on the Eurodam, I was determined to never book another ship without their fantastic hydropool. (I was hooked)... but then the opportunity to cruise the fall foliage back East presented itself and we decided to "go with the flow".

Sorry to hear Captain Bos disembarked, we have enjoyed him on at least 3 previous cruises and his enthusiasm never fails to excite.

So glad you enjoyed... :D

Archived