San Diego zoo

bandgbasset

A little reading on the board would reveal a taxi is VERY easy. Doubt it would cost $20.

Bus is doable, not too difficult. Taxi is far easier.

http://www.viator.com/tours/San-Diego/San-Diego-Shore-Excursion-San-Diego-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Trolley/d736-5046PRTSANHOHO

this is the best way to see san diego!!!!!!!!

They just want to go to the Zoo. Why pay that much to only do that?? The Zoo is about 4 miles from the port. A cab will cost you about $20 each way. Talk to your fellow passengers...you might find another couple to share a cab with.

There are city buses that can get you there, but not as quickly. Fare will be $2.50 each. You can find bus information here:

http://www.sdmts.com/Tripplanner.asp

They just want to go to the Zoo. Why pay that much to only do that??
I think he posted the information about the Hop-On/Off Trolley in case the many other CC'ers who are reading this thread might want to do more than just visit the Zoo. It is a great way to see a lot of San Diego, but if I were just going to the Zoo, I would recommend a taxi. I could spend a whole day at that Zoo.

We actually did the trolley to the zoo and found it a great way to see and learn a bite of San Diego... Didn't cost us $70...must of had a deal at the port.

Zoo was nice, but lots of paths were blocked off, and some of the roads were closed to the buses because of the pandas. And MOST of the restaurants and eateries were closed...with no notice until you got there. It did get really frustrating to try to make to most of our day there, only to constantly have to back track and make loops around construction areas because the map was useless!

Zoo was nice, but lots of paths were blocked off, and some of the roads were closed to the buses because of the pandas. And MOST of the restaurants and eateries were closed..

When were you there and are things still closed?

When was this? In the last ten years (we are members and go to the zoo about 4-6 times a year) I never saw MOST of the restaurants and eateries closed. There is only one restaurant (set down and be served) all others are like fast food places.

Never saw that the tour bus did not go around.

May 2013 is when I was there.

New Australia exhibit was being constructed...lots of areas closed.

Area with the meercats closed for 'maintenance'

Paths for shortcuts between exhibit areas were closed, resulting in long winding paths around everything...

Escalator closed...

Because of the baby panda, no loud noise was allowed around enclosure...including buses.

Your millage may very....

May 2013 is when I was there.

New Australia exhibit was being constructed...lots of areas closed.

Area with the meercats closed for 'maintenance'

Paths for shortcuts between exhibit areas were closed, resulting in long winding paths around everything...

Escalator closed...

Because of the baby panda, no loud noise was allowed around enclosure...including buses.

Your millage may very....

Don't understand. One small area was being constructed and this closed the majority of the restaurants? What other restaurants are there besides Albert's which has not closed since they opened way back when.

There has always been nose abatement near the pandas. How does that stop anyone from seeing the pandas? One can see very little on the bus tour of the zoo.

There construction of the Australia exhibit closed very little of the zoo. The whole Australia exhibit is very small compared to the size of the zoo.

There is always some construction at the zoo therefore you should never go there.

Sorry you cannot enjoy a zoo if there is any construction and you can't see the zoo from a tour bus that covers a small portion of the zoo anyway.

I have been zoos across the country and the San Diego is the best. What zoo do you think is better?

actually when the cubs are very young( pre public viewing age) they will shut off access to the entire enclosure and surrounding area. no panda viewing at all.

happened every time Gao Gao did his thing while we were stationed there( we were also members and did both SDZ and WAP weekly)

National Zoo does the same.. , our latest arrival has resulted in much more restricted access to Daddy Tian Tian.

and yeah, the NZ gives San Diego a serious run for its money. especially since it is free. Needs more polar bears though....

Mmmm Albert's. damn I miss that place....

The National Zoo does not come close to the San Diego Zoo except for the cost to get in. Been to both and was very disappointed in the NZ. I was at the Denver Zoo 2 weeks ago and that zoo Is better than the NZ.

The NZ is very nice, but one of the problems is that they needed to build it for winter weather. The NZ has lots of indoor exhibits where the SD zoo has only a sort of indoor reptile place.

If you include the San Diego Zoo Safari and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research ( http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/overview ) there is no other zoo in the world that matches the San Diego Zoo Global.

San Diego Zoo Global is a not-for-profit organization that operates the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. The Zoo was founded on October 2, 1916, by Harry M. Wegeforth, M.D.

Facts:

San Diego Zoo is not a government operated zoo like almost all other zoos they were founded as a private non profit zoo.

All profits from the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Safari Park go to the support of the San Diego Institute for Conservation Research.

They have one of the 12 world wide frozen zoos. http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/what_we_do_banking_genetic_resources/frozen_zoo/

Don't understand. One small area was being constructed and this closed the majority of the restaurants? What other restaurants are there besides Albert's which has not closed since they opened way back when.

There has always been nose abatement near the pandas. How does that stop anyone from seeing the pandas? One can see very little on the bus tour of the zoo.

There construction of the Australia exhibit closed very little of the zoo. The whole Australia exhibit is very small compared to the size of the zoo.

There is always some construction at the zoo therefore you should never go there.

Sorry you cannot enjoy a zoo if there is any construction and you can't see the zoo from a tour bus that covers a small portion of the zoo anyway.

I have been zoos across the country and the San Diego is the best. What zoo do you think is better?

As to the restaurants, we planned our relatively short time in SD to see and experience as much of the zoo as possible, including lunch spots. Several of these 'huts' and 'restaurants' were closed, and we eventually found something open at the gate on the way out.

I have no problem with construction of new exhibits in general...however, it would be helpful if the maps given out showed the areas that were closed for extend time periods...and there was a sign listing areas closed for the short term.

I never said I didn't enjoy my visit, just pointed out some issues...guess you took offense to that?

I never said it was the 'best' or that there was 'better' ones....I have been to lots of zoos, in many parts of the world...each one has great spots and poor spots.

As to the restaurants, we planned our relatively short time in SD to see and experience as much of the zoo as possible, including lunch spots. Several of these 'huts' and 'restaurants' were closed, and we eventually found something open at the gate on the way out.

I have no problem with construction of new exhibits in general...however, it would be helpful if the maps given out showed the areas that were closed for extend time periods...and there was a sign listing areas closed for the short term.

I never said I didn't enjoy my visit, just pointed out some issues...guess you took offense to that?

I never said it was the 'best' or that there was 'better' ones....I have been to lots of zoos, in many parts of the world...each one has great spots and poor spots.

There is only one restaurant and there are many fast food stands.

I was there in May about the same time your where and I know the majority of fast food places in the zoo where open and that the one restaurant that you failed to eat at was open.

Also I know as a fact that many roads were not closed. Nor the majority of the restaurants. Look at http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/dining and tell me those that you found closed. Tell me the date and since I have four granddaughters that work there I can find if they were closed on that date.

So yes I took offense of your exaggerations.

Archived