Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

Royal assumed each pt was a 7 day cruise and then added a cushion to make sure someone 1or 2 cruises away from the next status would achieve that after taking 1 or 2 seven day cruises.

Yes, it benefited those with a lot of short cruises but Royal succeeded at making sure no one lost their current status.

Ok, so they took the base points x 7. So, if one has shorter cruises great, but a 15 night transatlantic would only get 7 points. How did they handle the additional points for Suites (or CC, AQU in the case of Celebrity) as well as extra point for the longer cruises, or did they just take whatever points everyone had and multiple x 7?

Ok, so they took the base points x 7. So, if one has shorter cruises great, but a 15 night transatlantic would only get 7 points. How did they handle the additional points for Suites (or CC, AQU in the case of Celebrity) as well as extra point for the longer cruises, or did they just take whatever points everyone had and multiple x 7?

Royal's old program gave credits on the following basis:

1 point for a cruise (any length)

1 point for cabins at junior suite and above (X equivalent is CC)

1 point if cruise was 12+ days

The total credits were translated as approximately # of credits times 7 plus a fudge factor. The fudge factor varied a little, especially at the lower levels.

The actual "number" that people had changed dramatically, but

the key was that almost nobody lost a level. Some that were one short cruise away from their next "promotion" may have needed a longer one. As in any change, there were exceptions, but in my opinion, the translation was very even-handed.

The companies appear to be drawing closer and closer together. Just look at recent staff movements from one company to the other. Unfortunately, I believe that this will have a negative impact on the celebrity brand. We'll see.

In what way?
As a newish cruiser who has really gotten hooked, I have issues with RC.

I don't have a problem with most loyalty perks but the roping off of certain spots in the theaters and pool areas really annoys me.

I start humming "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic, feeling like a strict class system is being reestablished.

I think faux ice-skating, rock-climbing and zip-lining are rinkydink. I hope none of this migrates over.

I don't understand the premium for RC over Carnival and pricing that is on par with X..

I certainly understand the premium for Celebrity over Carnival.

In what way?

Just chiming in to this thread because I've been reading everyone's thoughts and thinking about comments being made.

When RCCL changed to number of days, well... people are fond of saying that none got hurt and everyone was at the same level after the conversion. Not necessarily true. I suppose you could say that MOST people were at the same level, but we weren't... so you can't say ALL people retained their level.

And, what happened was that we became disenchanted with the loyalty program because the level changes were just too far away... 175 for D+ and 700 for Pinnacle. Maybe, as an outside chance, maybe someday, we might just make D+, but we will never, ever make Pinnacle. No point in even trying, which is my point. If the levels are so far away that there's no possibility, then it's the same as not having a loyalty program.

So, we decided to try Celebrity. And we love Celebrity. We are Elite on Celebrity because we have cruised mostly TransAtlantics at 14-days and TransPacifics at 17/18 days (that International Date Line crossing) and sail in AQ (because we seriously love Blu)... so we have 11 points, because of the length and stateroom accommodations.

If the mathematical formula bites us once again... and if the next level becomes just an unreachable goal... well, I can't say what will happen to our feelings of loyalty to Celebrity. Because the Elite benefits are something that we have felt made a difference to our cruise experience. I know that other people are shrugging their shoulders and saying that suites provide you with more benefits. We will never be able to plunk down the money for a suite; not because we couldn't save up if we wanted to, but because we don't see the value for the money in the suite perks. To each their own, right?

Elite perks that we have loved: the Elite Lounge Cocktail Hours for a number of reasons. Of course, we've loved the conversations and, unlike some people have mentioned, we love hearing about everyone's travels. Most of the time, we find that Blu wait staff are being assigned to the Lounge, and we get a chance to chat with them more, which is good fun. And, the drinks are an added bonus as are some of the more delicious appetizers. The Internet minutes are fabulous because I can still connect with my daughter in a daily email exchange and that makes me feel secure (yes, I would pay so this becomes a monetary benefit for me). The laundry coupons are welcome because we take those longer cruises.

At the end of the day, I feel that the Elite perks have given us the opportunity to interact more with the crew and the Captain and his staff because the Loyalty Hostess makes such an effort on our behalf to provide us with those opportunities: through the elegant tea, the Captain's Receptions, the Elite Lounge Cocktail hours. Some Hostesses have gone so far and beyond, by scheduling entertainment from the quartet to having the destination speakers attend the Cocktail Hour. I will absolutely miss this event, more than anything else that might be taken from me. Yes, I'm aware of the vouchers and will probably experience that for the first time on my upcoming TransPacific cruise; I am a little saddened by that fact.

So, even though some may shrug and just take it in stride and feel that pain must be shared so that someone else can have the benefit of being more "elite" than others....

For everything there is a price to be paid.

It's like the owners of a beautiful house with a beautiful view. A neighbor builds a house that eliminates the view. The house itself is still beautiful but now there's something missing. A buyer arrives and doesn't see what isn't there; i.e., the view. Loves the house. Buys the house. The original owner moves on because they feel like there's something better for them. It's all a cycle of what "used to be" and whether we can achieve that feeling somewhere else.. or get over the fact that it was taken from us.

Just my thoughts.

As a newish cruiser who has really gotten hooked, I have issues with RC.

I don't have a problem with most loyalty perks but the roping off of certain spots in the theaters and pool areas really annoys me.

I start humming "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic, feeling like a strict class system is being reestablished.

I think faux ice-skating, rock-climbing and zip-lining are rinkydink. I hope none of this migrates over.

I don't understand the premium for RC over Carnival and pricing that is on par with X..

I certainly understand the premium for Celebrity over Carnival.

I doubt very much you will see the suite perks going away on Royal and Celebrity is adding more suite perks as we speak.

I disagree with your RC vs Carnival comment.. I hate to admit it but I've been on 2 Carnival cruises and wouldn't go back for a free cruise.. You get what you pay for.

Royal's old program gave credits on the following basis:

1 point for a cruise (any length)

1 point for cabins at junior suite and above (X equivalent is CC)

1 point if cruise was 12+ days

The total credits were translated as approximately # of credits times 7 plus a fudge factor. The fudge factor varied a little, especially at the lower levels.

The actual "number" that people had changed dramatically, but

the key was that almost nobody lost a level. Some that were one short cruise away from their next "promotion" may have needed a longer one. As in any change, there were exceptions, but in my opinion, the translation was very even-handed.

Thank you for the explanation!

Royal assumed each pt was a 7 day cruise and then added a cushion to make sure someone 1or 2 cruises away from the next status would achieve that after taking 1 or 2 seven day cruises.

Yes, it benefited those with a lot of short cruises but Royal succeeded at making sure no one lost their current status.

I hope they do that. There are 9 and 11 day (I will be on one this month) that you also only get one point for, as well. I was on a 14 day cruise in Feb in AQ and got 3 points. How did Royal figure that? Did they give extra points for 12 or more day cruises?

When RCCL changed to number of days, well... people are fond of saying that none got hurt and everyone was at the same level after the conversion. Not necessarily true. I suppose you could say that MOST people were at the same level, but we weren't... so you can't say ALL people retained their level.

Sorry, it is mathematically impossible for you not to have been at the same level after conversion.

I am a Celebrity convert and moved over a few years before they added the Elite perks. We still take a couple of trips on Oasis or Allure each year, but we are primarily Celebrity cruisers.

I hope they do that. There are 9 and 11 day (I will be on one this month) that you also only get one point for, as well. I was on a 14 day cruise in Feb in AQ and got 3 points. How did Royal figure that? Did they give extra points for 12 or more day cruises?

They did and still do, but I'm not sure if it's 12 or 13 days.

Just chiming in to this thread because I've been reading everyone's thoughts and thinking about comments being made.

And, what happened was that we became disenchanted with the loyalty program because the level changes were just too far away... 175 for D+ and 700 for Pinnacle. Maybe, as an outside chance, maybe someday, we might just make D+, but we will never, ever make Pinnacle. No point in even trying, which is my point. If the levels are so far away that there's no possibility, then it's the same as not having a loyalty program.

So, we decided to try Celebrity. And we love Celebrity. We are Elite on Celebrity because we have cruised mostly TransAtlantics at 14-days and TransPacifics at 17/18 days (that International Date Line crossing) and sail in AQ (because we seriously love Blu)... so we have 11 points, because of the length and stateroom accommodations.

If the mathematical formula bites us once again... and if the next level becomes just an unreachable goal... well, I can't say what will happen to our feelings of loyalty to Celebrity. Because the Elite benefits are something that we have felt made a difference to our cruise experience. I know that other people are shrugging their shoulders and saying that suites provide you with more benefits. We will never be able to plunk down the money for a suite; not because we couldn't save up if we wanted to, but because we don't see the value for the money in the suite perks. To each their own, right?

Elite perks that we have loved: the Elite Lounge Cocktail Hours for a number of reasons. Of course, we've loved the conversations and, unlike some people have mentioned, we love hearing about everyone's travels. Most of the time, we find that Blu wait staff are being assigned to the Lounge, and we get a chance to chat with them more, which is good fun. And, the drinks are an added bonus as are some of the more delicious appetizers. The Internet minutes are fabulous because I can still connect with my daughter in a daily email exchange and that makes me feel secure (yes, I would pay so this becomes a monetary benefit for me). The laundry coupons are welcome because we take those longer cruises.

At the end of the day, I feel that the Elite perks have given us the opportunity to interact more with the crew and the Captain and his staff because the Loyalty Hostess makes such an effort on our behalf to provide us with those opportunities: through the elegant tea, the Captain's Receptions, the Elite Lounge Cocktail hours. Some Hostesses have gone so far and beyond, by scheduling entertainment from the quartet to having the destination speakers attend the Cocktail Hour. I will absolutely miss this event, more than anything else that might be taken from me. Yes, I'm aware of the vouchers and will probably experience that for the first time on my upcoming TransPacific cruise; I am a little saddened by that fact.

So, even though some may shrug and just take it in stride and feel that pain must be shared so that someone else can have the benefit of being more "elite" than others....

For everything there is a price to be paid.

It's like the owners of a beautiful house with a beautiful view. A neighbor builds a house that eliminates the view. The house itself is still beautiful but now there's something missing. A buyer arrives and doesn't see what isn't there; i.e., the view. Loves the house. Buys the house. The original owner moves on because they feel like there's something better for them. It's all a cycle of what "used to be" and whether we can achieve that feeling somewhere else.. or get over the fact that it was taken from us.

Just my thoughts.

Your points are valid but I think you may have exaggerated the magnitude of any extra effort to progress to the next level (Pinnacle aside - I agree that the gap there is beyond hope for us since we split our time between RCL and X).

To move from Diamond to Diamond Plus on the old program took 14 points (7 cruises in JS or higher or 14 cruises in balcony and below). Under the new program it takes 95 credits that can be earned in 7 seven-night cruises in a JS or higher or 7 fourteen-night cruises in a balcony or lower. Not really that different.

Admitting that everything about the new Celebrity program (including how and when it will change) is speculation, I think it is safe to assume it will not be drastically different from Royal's, especially since they will likely continue some type of reciprocity and need the levels to be very similar.

Your 11 points would have converted to 90 under Royal's conversion leaving 85 to get to the next level. You said you take longer cruises so seven 14-day cruises would get you to the next level, assuming a similar spread. Hardly unreachable so I wouldn't stress much if I were in your position.

I also agree with your take on the Elite benefits. I would dearly love to see the balcony/suite discount get added to the program. If not across the board like RCL does it, at least at the upper levels.

I can't believe reading all the whiners out there. You would think the moment you start your vacation everyone is at your beckon call. Heaven forbid you don't get free stuff. Want, want,want. You would think you were all kindergarten children. Why don't you just try to enjoy your vacation and forget all the trivial stuff. #destress.

Sorry, it is mathematically impossible for you not to have been at the same level after conversion.

I am a Celebrity convert and moved over a few years before they added the Elite perks. We still take a couple of trips on Oasis or Allure each year, but we are primarily Celebrity cruisers.

I'm still confused. If a person has 10 points and you multiply that by 7, that is 70 not the 80 you need to be Diamond. If that is the way Royal did it, then you could be short points. I hope I am missing something.

I can't believe reading all the whiners out there. You would think the moment you start your vacation everyone is at your beckon call. Heaven forbid you don't get free stuff. Want, want,want. You would think you were all kindergarten children. Why don't you just try to enjoy your vacation and forget all the trivial stuff. #destress.

Credibility comes with experience. Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm still confused. If a person has 10 points and you multiply that by 7, that is 70 not the 80 you need to be Diamond. If that is the way Royal did it, then you could be short points. I hope I am missing something.

You are missing a piece. The formula was (7 x 10) plus 13, so 83.

Well, just to engage in a little bit of polite conversation...

mathematical impossibility to not be at the same level?

I assume that you are thinking of only the formula conversion and the name of the loyalty level; i.e., if you were Emerald, you remained Emerald, right? I'm just saying that we were moving up the loyalty ladder (so to speak), and even though we may have remained at the same level NAME, we certainly didn't remain at the same level of effort to achieve the next step up the ladder. Think about it: wasn't that the whole point of the conversion? To slow down the upward progress?

Now, you may refute me. All I can tell you is that I thought we were a few cruises away from D+, and when we got converted we were given 135 credits, which is pretty far away from D+... for us. We don't sail in JS. I'm unaware of anything we could do in sailing with RCCL (for us) that would double our ability to earn credits... except for the Double Diamond in December... which we, unfortunately, could never take advantage of. So...

all it did is open the door to look around for another possibility for cruising. I can tell you that when we sailed Celebrity, I didn't even know that the loyalty program was reciprocal. Go figure. I guess there are some cruise critic readers who still don't know everything about everything? Or maybe I'm the exception there as well?

I think that you are focusing on a semantic problem with what I'm trying to convey in my opinion. Which is. The loyalty program changed; our level (in my opinion) was changed dramatically (in that we can't achieve the next level in any approachable way)... PLUS, I'm not sure that I really care about what D+ would give me, in terms of benefits. I already have a particular spot that I can go to to have a sociable drink, which is all I care about. I don't care whether that drink is from a limited menu or a more expansive menu. I think I've expressed my opinion, clearly, that I care about the social aspect.

Since the RCCL change, we've cruised Royal once and that was because we wanted a family vacation and we cruised with our kids. We're cruising them again next year, and that's because we have friends who wanted to take the Oasis on its TransAtlantic for dry dock.

So.... it's just someone's experience. Take it... Leave it... Believe it... Or not.

I'll have to digest what Bob278 said in his post. Because if that's true... I really don't GET it. What was the point of making the change? Why bother? Why "fix" something that wasn't broken? Wasn't the point... the whole point... to stop the congestion at the upper levels of the loyalty program? If there wasn't a difference achieved, again, what was the point?

I can't believe reading all the whiners out there.

Welcome to Whiners Critic.:D

Your first post and your are already at masters level.

I can't understand people who whine about whiners... :rolleyes:

I love trivial pursuits above (almost) all. It's the big things that requires a more serious platform.

I really don't GET it. What was the point of making the change? Why bother? Why "fix" something that wasn't broken? Wasn't the point... the whole point... to stop the congestion at the upper levels of the loyalty program? If there wasn't a difference achieved, again, what was the point?

Yes, to slow the progression to the top tier/s.

I really don't GET it. What was the point of making the change? Why bother? Why "fix" something that wasn't broken? Wasn't the point... the whole point... to stop the congestion at the upper levels of the loyalty program? If there wasn't a difference achieved, again, what was the point?
Because if they don't change it ,then this whole thread will have been a waste! :rolleyes:

Like my answer better Jade.:D

At least on official record, but we are D+ on RC. We have found that service on all ships and even embarkation ports, for the perks can vary greatly. As stated we have been treated OK on some, like royalty on some, and like basic commoners on others, yes we got all the so called perks on all and we are happy for them. It seems that when the ship is full of elite or D+ in our case, the perks seem less, whether real or imaginary.

For example, on our cruise last week on the Freedom we were treated like royalty on another ship, this spring, full of D+ cruisers, sorry do not feel like trashing a ship or employees, we were just among numbers, perks varied and service varied from Concierge lounge to the D lounges so we spent more time in the D lounge. MTD service was horrible, despite dining at the same time every night we had different waiters, the MTD host, always got us a great table but there were several issues that were not addressed. This did not make us have a bad cruise, and would use that ship again if it had the itinerary that we wanted.

I doubt very much you will see the suite perks going away on Royal and Celebrity is adding more suite perks as we speak.

I disagree with your RC vs Carnival comment.. I hate to admit it but I've been on 2 Carnival cruises and wouldn't go back for a free cruise.. You get what you pay for.

I agree with you. After finally breaking away from Carnival and trying other lines I won't go back. I also believe you get what you pay for. Not sure if I would cruise with NCL again. Too many other lines that I prefer to cruise.

I think RCI did it the best way possible. There was no way that they could have gone back and added everyone's points guest by guest to be exact. This was the easiest way. We basically came out where we would have if they had gone back and looked at how many days we had cruised.

Welcome to Whiners Critic.:D

Your first post and your are already at masters level.

I can't understand people who whine about whiners... :rolleyes:

I love trivial pursuits above (almost) all. It's the big things that requires a more serious platform.

I thought this place was called "Whiners Woad"?:p

I also agree with your take on the Elite benefits. I would dearly love to see the balcony/suite discount get added to the program. If not across the board like RCL does it, at least at the upper levels.

That would be top of the list for me too as I love them dearly in the C&A program. I wouldn't be entitled to it (yet) on X but I think that would be a perfect addition to an "Elite +" level.

Archived