I'm going on my first cruise! What should I put in my suitcase?

AtlComputerman

An over the door organizer works great for storing stuff. Also recommend a power strip. And since there is no vent fan in the bathroom we usually take an air freshner to hang in there.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Forums mobile app.

An over the door organizer works great for storing stuff. Also recommend a power strip. And since there is no vent fan in the bathroom we usually take an air freshner to hang in there.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Forums mobile app.

I want to take pictures. I have an iPhone and a point and shoot camera but no waterproof container...what tips do you have on picture taking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

First of all, I would suggest you check out the website for the cruise line you're going on. Often there will be info recommending what kind of clothing, as well as a list of what NOT to bring (all of the cruiselines have forbidden objects such as irons, and some cruiselines have items they will scan your suitcase for and have you remove).

If you are asking about clothing, it's probably good to check the weather, even though the Bahamas will tend to be tropical. You didn't say how long your cruise is for, but you should think about bringing clothes you can wear for dinner too. (again, check your cruiseline's FAQs and dress code guidelines) Usually shorts aren't allowed in the regular dining room for dinner; but okay for breakfast and lunch. If you want to stay in shorts for dinner, usually you can dine in a buffet/casual dining room.

Anything valuable such as cameras, medications, jewelry, passport should be packed in your carry on bag.

There are various parts of Cruise Critic forums that you should be looking at -- for your cruiseline, destinations, etc.

As for suggestions about over the door hangers, etc., many people will see these suggestions, pack these items and then never use them. Probably better to consider what you need for your phone, camera, razor, other devices -- chargers, extra batteries, memory cards, etc.

I want to take pictures. I have an iPhone and a point and shoot camera but no waterproof container...what tips do you have on picture taking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Leave your Iphone in the room safe. If you turn it on and you not in a US port that your carrier supports, the cost could be from $8 to $12 minute. When you use the ships cell tower, there is a very unfriendly cost. There have been reports of phone bills over $1000 for a weeks cruise. Some phones do a satellite/GPS check twice a day even in airplane mode with a minimum of one minute each check ($12 X 2 = $25/day).

Stick with a P&S and backup on a PC or tablet each evening. If you are not going snorkeling, you don't need a waterproof case for a P&S.

Your cruise line's website will offer a suggested packing list. The main page of CC also has some guidelines. To keep luggage weight down, think layers & double duty; also plan to wear things 2x. You will need a sweater or wrap for evenings inside in the AC. How "formal" you go will be a function of your cruise line. Other posters have given you some good suggestions. Although the temptation is great, try not to over pack.

Lol I'm a guy! I don't have a big wardrobe! It's a 4 night cruise

OK then pack

1. toiletries

2. underwear

3. socks

4. 2 pair shorts

5. 1 pair khakis or nice pants

6. sandals / beach shoes

7. sneakers or shoes (wear one or the other to board)

8. 4 polo shirts

9. 3 t-shirts

10. swimtrunks

11. 1 button down shirt

12. something to sleep in

13. sunscreen

14. some type of Tide with bleech pen just in case there is a stain on your good pants.

If you are planning on doing formal night wear / pack a blue blazer or sports coat but for such a short cruise I wouldn't bother about a tux or anything like that

I usually put a mini emergency meds kit together with travel size meds like imodium, motrin, antacids, cold meds, bandaids etc. These items cost a fortune on the ship and I don't want to waste my limited port time looking for a store.

Edited by NoobCruise

OK then pack

1. toiletries

2. underwear

3. socks

4. 2 pair shorts

6. sandals / beach shoes

8. 4 polo shirts

9. 3 t-shirts

10. swimtrunks

11. 1 button down shirt

13. sunscreen

14. some type of Tide with bleech pen just in case there is a stain on your good pants.

If you are planning on doing formal night wear / pack a blue blazer or sports coat but for such a short cruise I wouldn't bother about a tux or anything like that

Haha, I should slow down when scrolling down. I looked real quick and first thing I saw was 10. swimtrunks. I was like geesh why so many. Till I slowed down and relized you had them numbered.

just buy a disposable waterproof camera they are cheap and take pretty good pics. I also like to take my pelican case (its a waterproof plastic case that attaches to your wrist) you can get them at scuba stores. It comes in handy if you have a beach day and don't have a locker. I put my seapass, money, and credit cards in it and take them in the water with me. And you may wanna buy some cheap water shoes. You may need them on some excursions and they come in handy when the sand is hot and you don't wanna get your flops wet. I always take at least one pair of tennis shoes. In case you wanna hit the gym or decide to do a walking excursion. Your flip flops will start to hurt after a while. Also take some over the counter sea sick meds.

DH's list for a 4day cruise is

1 pair dockers

4 guyaberas

underwear

socks

1 pair black walking shoes

razor, toothbrush, deodorant

This includes what he wears boarding the ship. We drive or take public transportation to the ship.

Edited by SadieN

OK then pack

1. toiletries

2. underwear

3. socks

4. 2 pair shorts

6. sandals / beach shoes

8. 4 polo shirts

9. 3 t-shirts

10. swimtrunks

11. 1 button down shirt

13. sunscreen

"12. something to sleep in "? I believe that's called a bed, and they're provided by the cruise line. No need to bring your own.

Being your first cruise, you will likely overpack. You really don't need much clothing or all the extras you read about people taking. The best thing to do is pack what you think you might need after the suggestions you got/get here and that you see in other threads. After you take your first cruise, you'll have a much better idea of what YOU need.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Choose clothes that you can mix and match. some ships have laundry rooms. that will help keep the weight of your luggage down. don't pack to much. leave room for souvenirs. be sure to pack your power cords for your phone, camera, e-book or tablets. also bring extra memory for your camera. Make sure you have all your toiletry items. You can buy what you need on the ship but why pay the inflated costs. Ear plugs just in case!

• 4 months later...