Does anyone fear Meet & Mingle like I do?

That reminds me of a "Law of meeting" theory we are working on. The theorum goes "if you meet someone early on a cruise- you will then see them all over the ship all the time"- and we almost have enough data to make that into a law. :D

So many times, we talk to someone early in a cruise, and then end up seeing them ALL THE TIME. In a good way, I mean. From a small ship like the Majesty (where we met someone on a DIFFERENT Majesty cruise) to the Oasis. It's really interesting to keep finding the same needle in the haystack.

I have experienced this also. :)

We have only had one good experience. We will talk to anyone any time and any where, but what we have found is that many people know each other, or travel in groups, and are either afraid to talk to strangers. Maybe if they had a dress code for the event and I could not wear my cut off jeans, sleeveless leather jacket some one might talk to me LOL.

I seem to miss them on accident. I missed one/ two on our last Disney cruise becasue the itineray changed and it seems were terrible at directions.

I went to the Walt Disney Theatre and the meet was on the balcony or something.

I did run into some folks from the FE exchange and they were awsome!

I met a guy just randomly putting magnets on peoples doors and a husband who was delivering gift bags, sorta against his will.

I am not a social person. I get VERY uncomfortable fairly quickly.

I still try to go because the whole cruise experience helps me with that.

It is an exersize in being social and being friendly.

I dont worry about stalkers ;) I'm a big guy I can send anyone who wants to get too close away.

I have this fear when it comes to the Meet and Mingle. I'm sure everyone is really nice and want to make "cruise friends". However, as in "real life" not everyone meshes with everyone else. Has anyone gone to a Meet and Mingle and had people from there just follow them around, even though you wished they wouldn't? Perhaps like, you're sitting at the Schooner Bar, they see and you sit for the evening even though you really don't have anything in common or (not to be mean) but you really don't want them there.

Yes, I do. I am afraid they will try to convince me to supply the combo to my safe.

Also, there are a lot of people on here that don't understand my contributions, so I get concerned that they will enact retribution.

I have this fear when it comes to the Meet and Mingle. I'm sure everyone is really nice and want to make "cruise friends". However, as in "real life" not everyone meshes with everyone else. Has anyone gone to a Meet and Mingle and had people from there just follow them around, even though you wished they wouldn't? Perhaps like, you're sitting at the Schooner Bar, they see and you sit for the evening even though you really don't have anything in common or (not to be mean) but you really don't want them there.

Try this:

"Oh, hi! We were just talking about you. We'd ask you to join us, but we've been looking forward to a nice evening alone."

There ya go; feelings intact all the way around. :D

We don't even bother anymore. It has turned into a "brag fest" and I can get that in the CL. Just go for the free crap....err......gifts they give and good luck.

Agreed. That's one reason why we no longer attend the M&M. The other has been covered by another post in this thread pertaining to the Cling-On's who you speak with once and they become your new cruise BFF and follow you everywhere. It's nice to socialize on a cruise, but it's also nice to have quiet time and be left alone.

We get enough Cling-On's in the bars and lounges at times... I don't need to attend a function for this.

Never experienced what you describes in my many years of cruising. It's just a simple get together and certainly nothing to stress over.

From my experience most people just go for a little while, have some punch and perhaps a cookie or canapé ( if served) and leave after the a few RCCL promotional items are raffled off.

I recall one cruise, where we kept running into the same gentleman wherever we went. He was funny and very personable and jokingly, we asked him if there was any place on this ship we could go and not run into him. He laughed but the person he was talking might have wondered who we were not realizing we knew each other.:)

Alfaeric is right, in walking around on the ship it is interesting how you can see the same few people over and over when there are over 2500 + passengers on board.

On my four cruises, I did a M & M for the second cruise. It was nice. Meet a lot of nice people. Even cruised with the same group four years later where we did the M & M again. It's great if you want to meet people. I prefer, however, not doing it and probably won't do it again. It's fun to talk to people about the cruise your going on on-line for the months leading up to the cruise, but for some reason when it comes to meeting them, not so exciting. Just my opinion. I would rather do my own thing.

Are these meet and mingles that you start here or something that's done for everyone on the ship?

If a minimum number of 25 people sign up on the website, RCI will provide a venue and usually host a group. A few small raffle type things and a chance to meet other people. Some love it, some don't. It's up to the individual.

If the number doesn't reach 25, RCI don't host it, but people from the forums here can arrange to meet up themselves.

Yes, I do. I am afraid they will try to convince me to supply the combo to my safe.

Also, there are a lot of people on here that don't understand my contributions, so I get concerned that they will enact retribution.

But, I won't need your combo if it's a blue safe! Just sayin'.:cool::rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

On RCCL, if you have registered on your Roll Call, a minimum of #25, the ship your on will host the M&M. You receive invitations in your room letting you know when & when it will be. You can also check within 2 months of your sail date the location but sometimes they may have to change the location. Our LOS TA, we didn't know until we got our invitations where it would be because we had #477 signed up and they needed to get the largest toom available.

How is a M&M any different than meeting people at your dining table or on an excursion? I enjoy going to the M&M to put faces with the screen names that I've been "talking" to for several months prior to our cruise. Since my husband and I sometimes cruise without other friends, it is nice to join some roll-call friends at a trivia game or share a table at the crowded Windjammmer.

That reminds me of a "Law of meeting" theory we are working on. The theorum goes "if you meet someone early on a cruise- you will then see them all over the ship all the time"- and we almost have enough data to make that into a law. :D

So many times, we talk to someone early in a cruise, and then end up seeing them ALL THE TIME. In a good way, I mean. From a small ship like the Majesty (where we met someone on a DIFFERENT Majesty cruise) to the Oasis. It's really interesting to keep finding the same needle in the haystack.

Thanks - a name to my experience! Yes, I agree, there are people we meet early on and then see them everywhere. There are others we know are on board and never bump into them.

I like the M&Ms and have met some great people. Never had anyone cling and never felt the need to cling myself, however it is nice to see a familiar face just to say a quick hello to around the ship. You might get lucky like me, last time on LOS TA, I won an ALMOST LEATHER Royal tote bag:D

I have experienced this on every single cruise. It was especially weird when I was on the Allure and ran into the same two couples at least twice a day! One of the couples ended up on the first leg of my flight home :eek:

I do enjoy the M&Ms, especially since I usually plan at least one excursion with the other members of my roll call. On my Explorer cruise, there was one guy that was there and I noticed him taking pictures of me around the ship throughout the rest of the week - I think he was trying to be discreet, but he wasn't and it took a few long, hard stares for him to stop. I find my solo cruises is when people try to "adopt" me for the week, but I've been very polite in telling them that I traveled solo for a reason :)

Archived