Does anyone fear Meet & Mingle like I do?

Just a "CRITTER" here and love the meet and mingle. Talked for about a year online with people. Went to a dinner before the cruise did the mingle and also had one breakfast together. Great bunch of people that go once a year and do new ships. Have gone on two cruises with this group and hope to do more..................................RADICAL

I have this fear when it comes to the Meet and Mingle. I'm sure everyone is really nice and want to make "cruise friends". However, as in "real life" not everyone meshes with everyone else. Has anyone gone to a Meet and Mingle and had people from there just follow them around, even though you wished they wouldn't? Perhaps like, you're sitting at the Schooner Bar, they see and you sit for the evening even though you really don't have anything in common or (not to be mean) but you really don't want them there.

Do you generally suffer from social anxiety? :rolleyes: How is meeting people at the Meet & Mingle any different from meeting people on an excursion or at one of the onboard activities?

I like the M&Ms and have met some great people. Never had anyone cling and never felt the need to cling myself, however it is nice to see a familiar face just to say a quick hello to around the ship. You might get lucky like me, last time on LOS TA, I won an ALMOST LEATHER Royal tote bag:D

After complaining about "never" winning anything at a M&M, the very next cruise I won...................

paper clips.

:eek:

After complaining about "never" winning anything at a M&M, the very next cruise I won...................

paper clips.

:eek:

I *LOVE* office supplies and office supply stores! I've always wanted to win those. :D:):D

The first M&M I went to was based on the interactions I had with those on CC leading up to the cruise. We all became really good friends, at least for about 5 years, where we stayed in contact and planned other cruises together. Eventually it faded, but it was fun while it lasted.

I have this fear when it comes to the Meet and Mingle. I'm sure everyone is really nice and want to make "cruise friends". However, as in "real life" not everyone meshes with everyone else. Has anyone gone to a Meet and Mingle and had people from there just follow them around, even though you wished they wouldn't? Perhaps like, you're sitting at the Schooner Bar, they see and you sit for the evening even though you really don't have anything in common or (not to be mean) but you really don't want them there.

I have never cruised before, but look forward to my first in December. I think most of my positive reinforcement for cruising has come from the roll call for our cruise and knowing that so many of the folks that regularly post there are going to be at the Meet and Mingle. I want to meet in person these great people that have been so kind to me these past several months. IMHO if people are not friendly and outgoing they will not sign up for it in the first place. Do not be shy. Go and meet them in person and have a great time.

Bob:)

I haven't had that experience. We always go, and have a good time. It's nice to be able to put actual people with their online presence.

I've been to several where people did chat and mingle but at the last one I attended people plunked into a chair never to move or speak to anyone but who they came with. The clue here is to set up M and M like a cocktail party - few chairs so most people need to stand/move and end up chatting with others. Not sitting just waiting for the draws and then get up and leave.

I'm going to my 1st M&M this November I can be a little socially awkward but I am cruising solo so it will be nice to meet the people from the roll call :)

I also cruise solo and have had some to be more "social" than others but do go and "mingle". It is a possibility to meet others and who knows maybe you will win the draw!

Personally if we ran into someone from the M&M we would never invite ourselves to sit down with them. I would wait for an offer to sit down and then depending on whether I wanted to our not (DH is along for the ride) I would either join them or make an excuse as to why we can't without hurting feelings. Most cruises we aren't looking for others to "hang" out with but have run into some great folks who we also happened to run into during excursions and had a wonderful time with. Last cruise on CCL it was a casual thing at an outside bar and we got there after everyone else and it was difficult to join into the conversation so we just wandered off and did our own thing.

I've done Meet & Mingles on Royal and Meet & Greets on Princess and enjoyed most of them. It really is fun to see familiar faces around the ship. On my last Princess Capt "Crash" Nash gave a great speech and gave out door prizes himself. I've never had a Cling On, not on a ship.

For someone uncomfortable with strangers, it can be intimidating, but if you're active on your Roll Call, you already have friends, you just haven't met them yet.

I've been to several where people did chat and mingle but at the last one I attended people plunked into a chair never to move or speak to anyone but who they came with. The clue here is to set up M and M like a cocktail party - few chairs so most people need to stand/move and end up chatting with others. Not sitting just waiting for the draws and then get up and leave.

Only been to one and this was our experience:(. The was no "meet" nor "mingle" happening at all. Going to try it again on our next cruise though.

On cruises 7 days or longer, if you get 25+ people to register, it's put on by the ship...so technically everyone could go!

We met some very nice people from our roll call and informal meet & mingle. Ibookhepays and her DH are an example of the great people we enjoyed meeting! Had a great time:)

I don't know I have never gone to a M&M when on I cruise we like to just relax and be by ourselves.

Great contribution to the subject at hand, we are all glad to know this :rolleyes:.

In 4 7 day cruises I went to the Meet and Mingle 3 times. You can judge a lot of how a Meet and Mingle may be by the roll call before it. Participate and you will get a feel for how things will be with your group. We have very few times where there were overbearing people we didn't want to be around, but they are very easy to get away from. Most of the time people are very respectful of others and that has even come up in roll calls. I've had two great roll calls and the other one was at least worthwhile.

I go to all our M&M's I have met some great people. Still keep in contact with some.

Than there are some others that I will be cordial with during the cruise but not really want to hang out with .

One M&M just wanted to see who was the 'bleep' controlling PITA that took over the roll call:rolleyes:

Than kept running into him thru out the whole cruise:eek:

We typically go to the meet and mingles. Don't think we have ever won anything significant either -- we must be in good company. I cannot think of one we've missed though it is possible -- one of those things we do without thinking too much. If something else was going on at the same time, wouldn't lose any sleep over missing it, but sometimes it is nice to put a face to the people you have been chatting with on the boards.

Don't think we have met any real close friends at a M&M. Our closest cruising friends we have met through other means. However, we have absolutely never encountered a cling-on and while we may have met a few uh, unusual people, most positively absolutely for certain have never met anyone remotely scary. We enjoy comparing cruising, travel and general background stories, but I hope it isn't anything perceived as bragging. Don't think we have anything to really brag about.

I sail on a different line but don't go to Meet and Mingles because they are anything but that. While I would love to meet fellow CC posters I neither care to be persuaded to book private tours nor be expected to participate in the entire spectrum of CC activities. Had I participated in the M&M last month I would have missed a lecture given by the ship's designer!

. . . Still keep in contact with some. . . .

And some I just say hi to on the boards from time to time -- Hi.

[And I don't recall our roll call being contentious so I am hoping you were referring to a different cruise]

I remember the one time we went and ended up with a cling on that showed up at every trivia , worst part about it was she was not right 90% of the time , but was quite convinced that she was for most answers , it was a train wreck , after day three I seen her hanging with other people , must have been a stalker with ADD , I suspect if I had a bunny rabbit , she would have boiled it

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

And some I just say hi to on the boards from time to time -- Hi.

[And I don't recall our roll call being contentious so I am hoping you were referring to a different cruise]

Hey Dennis, How you doing.

Definitely not ours. We had alot of good people at that M&M

Than our groups competing against each other at progressive trivia. We will get you next time:D

That was a good cruise, I wish RCCl would bring the Radiance back to the west coast

I've never done a M + M but we have had some funny/interesting stories from onboard experiences. On our wedding cruise on Liberty, DH and I met three nice people the first day. We went to the club the next two nights and saw them there. After that, they literally would find us everywhere! DH and I on our actual wedding night left our family and friends that we were traveling with and went to the Schooner Bar for some alone time. Next thing you know, one of the guys comes up, pulls up a chair and talks our ears off. After TWO HOURS, I (maybe not so) politely started tuning him out and started just singing along with the piano man. He finally got the picture! On our last cruise on Oasis, DH and I were cruising by ourselves and the first night at the Irish pub a couple came and sat down by us. We made small talk then said goodbye as we were done with our drinks. They asked where we were going and we told them to Blaze and they followed us. After that, they would call our stateroom and wake us up from our afternoon nap, ask where we were that night, etc. Anytime we'd go to lunch or dinner, they'd be there! We called them our stalkers lol I think we are too nice! =P

Um, yes we have had this problem. A woman on one cruise kept trying to find us at breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer, and kept wanting to tag along in port.

On the other hand we met some really great people on the Rhapsody and had one of them eat with us on the second leg of a b2b.

Because of the "needy lady" I use a second CC board name on my meet and mingle threads: she might end up on the same cruise!!!!

Archived