? on Snorkel excursion when you don't snorkel

IMKTDQT810

I do and my DH does, but I'm not sure if DS (9) will. We rented a house this summer that had a HUGE in ground pool. Knowing that we wanted him to learn and it was just the 3 of us we bought him snorkel equipment. He had a hard time getting the hang of it and I'm sure he would be all excited to do it on an excursion knowing he would be having more then the bottom of a pool to look at...until we get out there. Will he still be able to hang out in the water with us or will he be able to sit on the boat if he didn't even want to get into the water? I'm just wondering about it.

I'm sure the excursion operators are familiar with reluctant snorkelers, especially kids. I would expect them to encourage your son to snorkel and help him along. He will be wearing a vest, which might make him feel more comfortable snorkeling than in a pool without one. However, if he just does not want to get off the boat, that should be fine, too. A crew member has to stay on the boat anyway.

Thanks for letting me know...I expected to pay for him since yes, our goal IS to have him snorkel. =-) BTW- I forgot to post that he swims with a life vest...yes, even in a pool. We plan on bringing it with us on the ship as well and off the ship for any shore excursions. He knows how to swim, but after going on vacation last year to Disney (and they have the vest for the kids in the pool) he decided he likes swimming with one on more then without one.

I just wanted to add that you might want to give your son some Bonine before the tour, just in case he decides to stay on the boat. I find that I get seasick if I'm in a rocking boat. I have no problem as long as the boat is moving, but as soon as it stops and is just bobbing around...ugh.

we had a similar situation with our son. I took him snorkeling in Nassau for the first time last Thanksgiving. He was in a full life vest but was uncomfortable with the depth of the water and couldnt relax enough to attempt to snorkel.

We just did another snorkeling adventure earlier this month in Barbados. We didn't even pack his snorkel because we doubted he would use it. We did pack his regular swim goggles though. He wore a snorkel vest this time and did MUCH better. He just put his head down to see and when he needed a breath he popped back up. He was fascinated by the fish and turtles. He said next time he wants to try the snorkel mask and snorkel to see even more.

He is almost 7.

Hope this helps,

Ashley

Although my daughter (now 5) started snorkeling when she was 3, we did have someone in our party (an adult) that wouldn't snorkel with us when we went last year. They just sat on the boat and watched. (They were afraid of the "sea creatures" hehe). But there are always several people on any snorkeling tour we have went on that either won't get in the water or there are some that get in for a few minutes and then get back out.

Just a thought...if he can't master the snorkel and the breathing, have him just practice wearing the mask and holding his breath to see everything. My 5 year old snorkels every where we go, but she has yet to use a snorkel or master that skill and she is ok with that. She has practiced snorkeling so much that she has mastered holding her breath for a very long time now while snorkeling. She loves it.

Also, remember that snorkeling in the ocean is going to be different than snorkeling in a pool. In salt water, you have more buoyancy and it's a lot easier to float.

Last but not least, it your little one decides to stay on the boat, give him a camera and let him take pictures of you guys snorkeling. He'll feel like he participated in it and will be proud of his pictures he took of mommy and daddy AND it will be memories of you guys snorkeling as well. :D

Archived