Mayan Mystique question

MJC

Would like some advice about snorkeling the reef off Belize.

Does the ship offer an excursion, and if so, how much and how does it work? Do they pick you up from the ship, or tender you to shore to catch a boat?

Would the timing work to tender in and arrange an independent snorkel trip? We prefer not to snorkel with large crowds, and to have some choice as to which spot we go to.

Thank you!

We did this cruise at the beginning of the year. We found the Oceania excursion rather expensive, and I think they did tender you to the port then pick up another boat.

We were moored very far out from Belize and it took along time to get to shore.

We booked an excursion at the port there is a lady there that sat just inside the small mall and she had various snorkeling excursions. They have small boats so not a lot of people on some of them.

Cannot remember the cost but I know it was a lot less than Oceania.

Enjoy your cruise.

In Belize all ships stay very far off shore because the water is very shallow. They use local tenders which are very fast and large so you get to the port fast. I did not see any boats picking people up from the ship however that does not mean it did not happen. The O trips are at least 2 or 3 times the local rate so do your homework.

and as they say, they pick you up and take you to shore. There are many people selling trips, but by all means, do not miss it there. I don't snorkel, but if I did (I am scared) I just know it would be beautiful. Belize is a place they could let me off to stay. We are going back this year again,.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. Snorkeling in Belize is what is driving our cruise choice, and your information is crucial to our decision-making. It is our favorite cruise excursion activity.

Kirk, this is exactly what I'm worried about as there will be 2 cruise ships in port that day.

I'm wondering if Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley are must-see in spite of the crowds, or if we should ask our guide to take us to some secondary but perhaps less crowded places. I don't feel the need to pet sting rays, but rather would prefer to have a quieter more natural experience.

Archived