Just back never again

Capri73

I've personally become skeptical of most online reviews but particularly those full of hyperbole and invective but lacking in detail. It always seems there is more to those reviews than meets the eye, especially when the reviewer is dismissive of those who disagree or question the "review."

I tend follow the same advice given above, we toss out the extreme reviews and go with the majority. While I haven't been on the PG in 3 years, that trip remains one of the highlights of all my vacations. I wrote a review about it on this board, and occasionally go back to reminisce. Was everything perfect? Nope. Did it matter?? Nope. I love the South Pacific and can't imagine a better way to see it.

The OP has posted twice in the last day or two on the Seabourn board, simply stating if you like Seabourn don't go on the PG. No one has responded. I'm sad he had such a bad time on his trip.

My memories of the PG and French Polynesia bring pure happiness! :)

Yes, always use the aggregate opinions...I have seen, on this forum, a reviewer gloss over a very bad cruise because he was getting (undisclosed) compensation from the cruise line, and I have seen others use sweeping negative generalizations here to try to bully the cruise line into getting compensation.

I think the best approach as a reader is to A) take the opinions in the aggregate; if you read many of them, trends emerge very quickly, while one off overly positive or negative reviews really look like the outliers they are.

B) Trust the destination experts. While they often have a positive view of the place; either because they live, work or enjoy visiting there, they also are usually pretty helpful and forthcoming about the reality of a place, and their opinions are not colored by a one time bad experience.

For instance, on my single trip to FP, I didn't "love" Moorea. Why? The weather was poor, and a lady working at the agricultural school was rude to us in the usual French/US way ( I understand French even if I dont speak it, my family is French Canadian;)) I could have written a scathing review about Moorea being "anti American" or "boring"; but I cannot make those kinds of claims based on a one time visit. But many times I've had DE's say, for instance..."take the tram in Quito, its' safe, but do not zipline in Mindo"...I trust that advice more than someone trying to shakedown a travel operator for a refund!!

I too was on the same cruise as Capri73 and after reading this chain, I feel the need to respond. We extended our stay a few days and just returned home mid week.

After reading this post, I feel like we were on different cruises. I did notice that the marina deck was not used and was curious about that, but I never did check on it as we were busy with excursions and other activities so we never had time to utilize this part of the ship.

Both my DH and I had a wonderful time. We do not cruise the large cruise lines as we prefer the smaller, more intimate cruise lines – 300 cruisers max. We agree on one point that the staff on the Paul Gauguin was outstanding. They did everything to make your stay as wonderful as possible. We also both thought the food was excellent. We did eat at all 3 of the restaurants and enjoyed the ambience and menu at all three. I personally took the advantage of trying things I have never tried before and enjoyed just about everything. I too came home gaining some of those lbs I lost before the trip. We found the wine quite acceptable on the cruise. We had great bartenders who started to prepare our preferred drinks when we walked into the bar; and wine stewards who were constantly filling our glasses. If there was anything that you had a specific taste for, just let them know and they were happy to accommodate you – for example, my DH likes his Bloody Mary spicy.

We did attend all of the Tahitian entertainment that was offered on the cruise and really enjoyed those shows, especially the troupe that performed the last night – they were excellent! We did not attend the other shows as we enjoyed star gazing or spending some quality alone time -- we do not enjoy the “Vegas” type shows.

We never ran into any issues regarding finding lounge chairs or witnessing a fight over them. I was disappointed in the way the people conducted themselves in the shade areas. Times when my DH and I were looking for a shade spot to read, we found others spread out sleeping on the couches which took several seats, not just one. This was no fault of Paul Gauguin, but just the inconsiderate manners of other cruisers. We also found that there was room on the upper level deck (Deck 9) when it was open. If there were no chairs available around the pool, the staff would bring chairs done from the upper level for you.

All of the ports were wonderful and we enjoyed all of the excursions we had arranged. Since this was our first time in French Polynesia, we did the excursions through the cruise line and had a great time. First time for us to experience a wave runner and helmet dive (Bora Bora) and ATV (Moorea) – great time doing all!

Knowing that everyone can’t be pleased 100% of the time, this cruise really came close for us. We both agreed that it is our favorite vacation to date. Before our cruise, I did read a lot of the different threads and found the feedback invaluable. I appreciate everyone’s time to provide this detail and I hope that this will help someone in return. Thanks!!

Not so easy for USA citizens to buy property in French Polynesia. Anyone here see the House Hunters International in Moorea earlier this year? Not cheap either!

Still would like to see more DETAILS from Capri concerning his bad review.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Like many others, I had read OP's negative review of the August 27 sailing and was very concerned. Although I do not discount anyone's right to express their opinion, I had to say that our experience on the Paul Gauguin was very different indeed.

Our very positive experience was enhanced by almost perfect weather and the most convivial group of CC members and other new friends that we have ever experienced.

The Marina operation seemed to be in full swing. DH took several dives with the dive staff, and they taught me to paddle board one afternoon.

A full review will follow once we are caught up with work and laundry, but here are a few quick impressions from our perspective ~

The Best of the Best:

1. Excellent service from pool stewards, bar staff and alternative dining waitstaff.

2. Special perks provided for our 25th anniversary. Some from our TA (Champagne & Caviar Breakfast), some from the ship (cake in cabin upon embarkation and at anniversary dinner, honeymoon and anniversary celebration with traditional dances, songs and blessing.)

3. Engaged, friendly cruise staff and senior officers.

4. Private excursions arranged with CC Roll Call, especially Marc's Motu in Huahine, Reef Discovery Snorkeling (aka Pure Snorkeling) in Bora Bora, and most of all our day with Ato Lissant in Fakarava (thank you Emdee for helping me connect ~ Ato says Ia Orano)

5. Laundry package ~ being able to pack relatively lightly and coming home with mostly clean clothes was well worth the charge!

The Less than we were expecting from the Paul Gauguin:

1. Main dining room food and service were not as good as other dining outlets. (Much is posted on the mainstream cruise line boards about this being a conspiracy to drive pax to fee-based outlets, but that of course would not be the case on PG, so we were baffled.)

2. Room stewardess was friendly, but did not provide consistent service on routine requests ~ extra bath towel everyday, providing towels to take ashore, processing laundry on a timely basis.

3. The ship's shore excursions we took were somewhat disappointing and did not entirely match their descriptions. Drift Snorkel in Rangiroa was rushed and disorganized with very little marine life to see, Dr. Poole's whale watching was conducted by an assistant rather than Poole himself. (Granted, these depend on the weather and circumstances on each voyage.)

All in all, the trip exceeded our expectations, and we hope to make a return voyage for our 30th anniversary!

Not so easy for USA citizens to buy property in French Polynesia. Anyone here see the House Hunters International in Moorea earlier this year? Not cheap either!

Still would like to see more DETAILS from Capri concerning his bad review.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I figured as much! No time shares there yet? Of course then you don't get the wonderful ability to visit multiple places as you do on PG:D

Mrs Tiki- thanks for your review! We plan to return for 30 th too...it's a very special place! :D

For any newbies and worried repeaters, there were other group of repeaters went on this cruise as part of the other agency's group cruise. Their seamail(review) can be found on the other site.

The gist of it was they seemed to enjoyed themselves and even felt the food was similar to Regent though not as consistent. A number of these people were repeater cruisers on PG from its Radisson days and didn't seem concerned the marina wasn't working.

I would feel comfortable to trust their opinions due to my similar travel habits and tastes.

Emdee's DD

I have been reading the reviews for some time now on CC and I'm not worried. In fact I'm getting more excited every day for our 10 day Society and Tuamotus trip starting Nov. 13th. This will be our first time on PG and also to FP but we have sailed over 10 mainline cruise ships around the Carribean in the past.

As you can see from my user name we are avid scuba divers and are hoping Fakarava and Rangiroa will be the highlights from a diving experience. I also don't really care if the marina platform is not operating if they can still board the zodiacs from the gangway as they did on the previous cruise when the platfrom was closed. For me it is only important that we can still dive :) .... the marina platform from what I understand only allows you to board the zodiacs easier plus it is closer to the wash tanks when you return from a dive.

Anything else will just be a bonus.

I have been reading the reviews for some time now on CC and I'm not worried. In fact I'm getting more excited every day for our 10 day Society and Tuamotus trip starting Nov. 13th. This will be our first time on PG and also to FP but we have sailed over 10 mainline cruise ships around the Carribean in the past.

As you can see from my user name we are avid scuba divers and are hoping Fakarava and Rangiroa will be the highlights from a diving experience. I also don't really care if the marina platform is not operating if they can still board the zodiacs from the gangway as they did on the previous cruise when the platfrom was closed. For me it is only important that we can still dive :) .... the marina platform from what I understand only allows you to board the zodiacs easier plus it is closer to the wash tanks when you return from a dive.

Anything else will just be a bonus.

shrkdive1 - you will have a great time. I just returned from the same intinerary as you have planned (Aug 28th sailing). I dove 6 times, but others on board did every dive possible. It was fantastic. Lots and Lots of sharks (lemons, greys, white tip and of course black tips). Also we dove with the Manta Rays in Bora Bora (6 of them) and in Rangiroa we actually had wild dolphins come up to us during the dive and let us pet them.

The platform worked each day but in Rangiroa they did use the side platform to transfer to the local dive shops boats. Great group of guys working the marina and dive facilities. I am currently writing a review of this trip in another thread if you would like additional info.

Have a great cruise in Nov, should be lots of fun.

If Capri is still reading the boards, I hope that you register your complaints with PG. We will be making our fourth trip on the ten-day this November and can only say that your post caught my attention because, though you weren't that specific, you obviously had a 180 degree different experience than us.

For example, on our second 7-day, our room steward recognized us even though we were on a balcony deck and a completely different part of the ship from the first voyage. That happened over and over. How they remember guests is beyond me.

As for wines, if you like bubbly, try the Borgogne Cremant. This Chablis/Pinot Noir blend is among the best French-style sparkling wines I have ever had, so much so that we now order by the case from our local wine merchant.

I am siting in Le Marche between cruises and I just have to say the the cruise that just ended was fantastic.

Food and service better than ever. Everyone I spoke to had a wonderful cruise. No complaints. Cruise #2 starts soon. Much more when I get back.

Anyone reading this should have zero reservations about taking a PG CRUISE!!!

I am not sure quite what to think of all the kerfuffle in this thread. But I am going on the 10-day cruise beginning in just one week, and when I get back will be posting a very detailed post-cruise review similar to that provided by TikiMan.

Interestingly, I first found CC specifically because I was looking for reviews of PG (see thread Society and Tuamotus Oct 2: Worth It?) The responses I received to my query convinced me that the trip *would* be worth it ... and as a solo traveler, I have to pay the single supplement, so it will not be a cheap trip! But after reading Carpi73’s review, I confess I am a little nervous again. Yes, all of the cruise lines have been cutting corners in the current economy. I’ve traveled 2-3 times per year with Cunard for almost 15 years, and I can definitely see the downward changes with that line. But since I am new to PG, I have no apples-to-apples reference for comparison. One of my concerns from the beginning has been food, since I am a big foodie. But I am realistic enough to know that provisioning in French Polynesia does impose certain limitations (more fish, less beef, for example). The same is probably true for wine and spirits. That ANY of the alcohol is “free” is, however, very unusual among most cruise lines, so I would not expect Dom Perignon and Chateau Lafitte. Evening entertainment is not an issue for me, since I very rarely attend ship-board shows (I am going on PG for the islands and the scenery, not the lounge acts). Excursions *are* important to me, so we will see how that goes. I admit I will be crushed if I do not get to swim with whales, but that is my only expectation for the entire trip (other than good food!). Not sure I see the attraction of the marina, though, except perhaps for kayaking. I do not lay around pools, so not concerned about crowding there either. And since I am solo, having sufficient towels in the cabin should not be a problem! What this long response comes down to is that I think any cruise experience is heavily influenced by pre-cruise expectations. If you feel as though you paid top dollar (and Capri73 clearly did feel that way) and are coming from a very high-end cruise line (didn’t Capri73 refer to Seabourne?), you may expect certain things that are not necessarily on offer. And if you arrive with those expectations and immediately have one bad experience, it can set a bad tone for the rest of the trip. But if you approach it all as an adventure during which “s**t will inevitably happen”, you will usually have a better time. Anyway, stay tuned for a lengthy, detailed review of my own trip, with particular focus on the food (but I do not drink, so no wine reviews).

Look forward to your review, neighbor. (I'm in Riverside) I'll be going on my 3rd FP cruise at the end of March--2nd with PG. Have you considered booking any excursions on your own? If you're a big foodie, you might want to make reservations at La Villa Mahana on Bora Bora. It gets great reviews.

Look forward to your review, neighbor. (I'm in Riverside) I'll be going on my 3rd FP cruise at the end of March--2nd with PG. Have you considered booking any excursions on your own? If you're a big foodie, you might want to make reservations at La Villa Mahana on Bora Bora. It gets great reviews.

Yes, several of us on the Roll Call for this trip have gotten together to book some independent excursions. Since I am traveling solo, I will skip La Villa Mahana.

Yes, several of us on the Roll Call for this trip have gotten together to book some independent excursions. Since I am traveling solo, I will skip La Villa Mahana.

Wonderful attitude for your upcoming trip/vacation/adventure. I did not give much info from a food standpoint so I am looking forward to your review. It should add another dimension to the overall cruise experience for upcoming passengers.

I hope the whales are still around for you. Our guide did say the latest they saw a humpback last year was Dec 2nd so maybe the herd will be a little lazy traveling back to Antartica (I know I sure would be).

Safe travels next week. Glad things seem to have worked out for Marc's excursion.

Cheers

Mark

Dessert- I hope you encounter whales too, but our family has done many, many specific "wildlife" trips (it's kind of our thing!;)) and to a person every naturalist guide we have had will tell you- you simply cannot guarantee wildlife sightings.

We were deeply disappointed to not even be able to take DR Pooles tour due to weather. We never even got an opportunity to look for whales, much less snorkel near them. On other trips we have seen amazing things that the guides themselves had never seen (a wild dog and jackal who had paired to lead a pack at Mombo, a wolf snacking on a caribou in broad daylight, a pod of orcas and calfs leaping and playing in the wake of our boat in Alaska etc) I can tell you despite the disappointment of missing whales in Moorea- we had a fantastic trip to FP.

With wildlife- it is all about managing expectations. Some who have expressed disappointment or concern about this excursion here on CC in the past seemed to not understand this fact realistically, they were destined to be disappointed. Animals do not profit from our tours, and they don't provide top notch customer service all the time;) I hope you get the dream experience, but as on guide in Alaska once told us..." The animals don't read the guidebooks" :D

Can't wait for your review!

Back from the 10 day beginning August 28th. We're retired and it was our first cruise. It was exactly what we wanted. As I told one friend when we got back, many of our friends wouldn't have liked it as much as we did because, while the level of service exceeded our high expectations, if you don't like to snorkel or dive, and get your hair wet, you're in the wrong place. On the other hand, if you do, then it was really, really good.

Specifically, the food was good in all three restaurants. Gourmet? Not really, but good, and certainly always well presented and served by a wait staff that was terrific. The wine was just average. The nice thing about that, though, was that the server would go get another three different ones, if you wanted to try something else, so we were ok with the wines.

We booked four excursions, three outside and one PG. The PG one was a complete bust, but more about that in another thread evaluating the four excursions for that August 28th cruise.

Sorry, but I just can't stop bragging about the trip, the superb snorkeling (better than Cayman or Hawaii), and especially the service. Everyone from the captain to the girl that cleaned the room were there with a smile, often remembering your name, and anxious to please.

Ok, wait, I do have a complaint. The coffee wasn't very good.

Billinsugarloaf

Understand Boston's disappointment in missing the whales; This has been an exceptional sighting season and we've really enjoyed reading about the abundance of sightings here and on some other sites.

Our last 3 PG trips were planned specifically around the whale season, we had very diligent DMs who understood our desire to see if not swim with them. No luck. Not a spout in the distance, not a quick view of a fluke, no whale song heard underwater, nothing.

DesertSkies, I hope you get your whale of a wish and look forward to your review when you return. I think you're right about some cruisers expectations leading to disappointment. I wonder if the '5-star' billing leads some to expect something a la Ritz-Carlton. IMO its better than that due to the friendly, exceptional service and the paradise surroundings.... but then, I've got the 'flu'... got it bad.

PS Don't miss the moonfish at Etoile.

Understand Boston's disappointment in missing the whales; This has been an exceptional sighting season and we've really enjoyed reading about the abundance of sightings here and on some other sites.

I wonder if the '5-star' billing leads some to expect something a la Ritz-Carlton. IMO its better than that due to the friendly, exceptional service and the paradise surroundings.... but then, I've got the 'flu'... got it bad.

PS Don't miss the moonfish at Etoile.

I have to agree...one of the things I really LIKED about this trip was that it is very casual...some folks interpret that as not 5 star...having to get your "do" mussed as Sugarloaf Bill pointed out does not square with some folks view of 5 star (I have neighbors like this too, Bill!) ;)

But if you like gorgeous, natural, authentic and casual...you will love it!

On the subject of swimming with the whales, our experience was also disappointing. We took a tour with the highest rated snorkel trip in Bora Bora with the hopes that we would be able to do this. We saw whales, a mom and her calf, but were not allowed to get in the water. We were close enough that a GoPro stuck in the water was able to see them. But no luck. I have read other travellers experiences with this same tour, in which they were allowed to get into the water. I really do not know the difference. So, don't expect too much.

Just to clarify, I do fully understand that seeing whales, much less swimming with them, is never guaranteed, even on a “whale watching” excursion. I am *hoping* to swim with whales, not *expecting* it. And while I will be very disappointed if I do not get to swim with whales, that disappointment will certainly *not* ruin my trip. I am confident that the diving and snorkeling will be stellar.

On a related note, if you really want to see whales, I recommend the Cunard Queen Victoria’s annual LA to Hawaii round-trip cruises each February. I went a few years ago, and while in Maui we saw literally dozens of whales. Our snorkeling excursion actually “mutinied” and “forced” the guide to stay off-shore in the channel so we could watch the whales breaching and fluke slapping and fin slapping. One even breached so close to us that we became concerned about being hit and capsized. But you cannot get in the water with them ... I think it is even illegal to do so in Hawaiian waters (or so our guide said).

The Gulf of Baja (a stone’s throw from my location in Palm Springs) is also a good whale watching place, but the murkiness of the water makes swimming with them almost pointless.

Archived