Just back never again

Capri73

Ok, so I don't want to hijack this thread, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have a lighter note here ;) - I'm very curious about Icecat's comment regarding nudists. Was this on PG? Is that a common occurrence? TIA.

Things that make you go hmmmmm ... yes, to each his / her / their own ;) but do clothed, non swinging pax get a heads up on such charters?

I had a friend on the nudist/swingers cruise. He had a great time and let your imagination run wild - yes it was a PG charter and I hope they had the seats covered.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I did hear that the bannister rail sliding competition had to be stopped on account of splinters:)

That's very funny!! I have a couple of ideas of games aboard they could have had but I would get kicked off CC if I shared them here. The nudists chartered the ship. General public could not book this one.

Do they bring in their own staff? :confused: I notice that the week before our cruise at the end of March the ship is being chartered by Playbill and will include lots of musical theater.

No they use the ship's staff. My daughter wants to go on the Playbill cruise - it looks great!

Regarding the bad review I would just like more details. I know a guy who booked the grand suite and didn't like the cruise simply because he felt that he did not get preferential treatment.

Even the lowest cost room comes in just under $10k before adding any pre or post stay rooms, shore excursions, etc. I'm planning mine with a stay in a porthole room with a day on an OW at the Hilton on Moorea and the Radison on Tahiti for a night when we get back because air France doesn't leave until Sunday. All of that comes in at a little over $11k.

Did you wait for a 2 week sale? I've done the 11 night in the off season for under $9K for 2 of us but I took advantage of a 2 week sale & off season pricing .......... this was inclusive from LAX with an extra night at the IC Tahiti.

BTW, nothing wrong with two-buck-chuck if your choose wisely. I drink cheap whiskey ......... High ten & Seagram 7. I mix it so who cares. I'm frugal like my father before me.

I agree with Capri 73-this cruise was not what I was expecting. We booked it because of the itinerary. Celebrating our 40th so we wanted to do something special. Learning that the marina wasn't working (from Capri 73 I think) was a HUGE disappointment. PG should have offered compensation for that. Still, the location was spectacular and we were fortunate to have perfect weather. Not sure I would sail with the PG in the future.

Maybe you should pay more seeing you had perfect weather ........... I mean some think they should get a refund if the weather is not perfect :rolleyes:

BTW, I have yet to ever go down to the Marina .......... like most people ......

I may also add that 'perfect' trips in French Polynesia are rare. Some foods need to be shipped in from all over the world, weather is un-predictable. If something breaks down there isn't a 'quickie boat repair shop' at the next island ............. when you go to the South Pacific you just need to roll with it sometimes. After 18 trips in the South Pacific I've yet to have the "perfect" trip no mater what cruise line or resort but we have become very good at making lemonade ; )

Our 11-day was about $10k for two, including air. We also did our own air and no last-minute sale.

I didn't realize the OP was referring to cost for 2 people, as the pronoun "I" was used. $15K is still high, but if they did the ship's air and went with a higher-end cabin, I could see the tab getting there. Ship's air is rarely a bargain.

here is my .02 for what it's worth....

We were also on the recent Cook Islands cruise 17-aug.

This was our 4th cruise on the PG and we have sailed under each brand: Radisson, Regent, and now twice under PG Cruises. Each has been special and memorable for different reasons. On this trip, we had a great time. The ship was in good shape. We thought the food was well prepared, and it seemed like there were more menu choices and buffet offerings than in the past. The crew was fantastic as always. The weather was excellent and the ports were all good. Nothing is perfect, of course, and on this sailing we thought the entertainment (other than the Polynesian performances and crew show) was not as good as in the past. Entertainment is not a high priority for us, and we were often really tired after a full day of activities, so the evening shows didn't affect our overall experience. However, we would have really appreciated a better band, as the band in the past (Siglo) had a style and song selection that really suited the mood of the cruise when playing on the deck and in La Palette at night. It was disappointing that the marina wasn't operating, as that's a really nice and unique feature of the ship, but looking back, all of the marina activities offered were accommodated in other ways, so we didn't miss out on anything without it. However, we learned that water skiing, which we have enjoyed on past trips, is no longer offered at all (regardless of the marina's use), which is unfortunate. So many aspects of travel are subjective, and this was our experience as repeaters. We will definitely return to the PG, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

We have found that w/o mileage the PG's air is better since it includes air, transfers, day room in and outward and tour on the last day. Further, if you are not part of the air group you are kicked off the ship first!

We started going when you arrived and went directly to the ship and it included all of the above. I could not find a lower airfare on our own.

We were on a PG cruise once with lots of Grand Circle or Vantage customers who were cranky not to have a personal tour guide move them around.

We have found that w/o mileage the PG's air is better since it includes air, transfers, day room in and outward and tour on the last day. Further, if you are not part of the air group you are kicked off the ship first!

We started going when you arrived and went directly to the ship and it included all of the above. I could not find a lower airfare on our own.

We were on a PG cruise once with lots of Grand Circle or Vantage customers who were cranky not to have a personal tour guide move them around.

Ditto to all, including the last, although I think the GCT and Vantage people did have someone on the ship, at least for one cruise. And at the hotel too. But some of them had the temerity to throw away their name tags! Nice people, mostly, one on one, most of them, except for the two couples who turned around in the Business line at LAX to tell us that we were in the wrong line, and pointing us to the Coach line!

Did they have a decent lounge pianist?

We didn't like him and he gave us the impression he'd rather be someplace else. That was just us, though. Others seemed to like him. Give him a chance. Maybe he was having an off week. We didn't mind the band so much. They played music we could dance to (mostly ballroom type--cha-cha, swing, waltz, foxtrot), and since we don't get many opportunities to dance, we appreciated it. Their songs tended to be a bit long and as long as they didn't sing, they weren't bad. We can tolerate a lot to be able to get up and dance!

For any newbies and worried repeaters, there were other group of repeaters went on this cruise as part of the other agency's group cruise. Their seamail(review) can be found on the other site.

The gist of it was they seemed to enjoyed themselves and even felt the food was similar to Regent though not as consistent. A number of these people were repeater cruisers on PG from its Radisson days and didn't seem concerned the marina wasn't working.

I would feel comfortable to trust their opinions due to my similar travel habits and tastes.

Emdee's DD

Archived