Can't go on cruise - Military related HELP

cindobeast

You bring up an interesting point. It is the same with the Air Force. When my SIL has leave it's usually about 2 weeks before the leave if he is certain that he has the "green light" from his CO. Of course, if all h*ll broke out his leave could be cancelled at the last minute.

Yep. Don't know if we have different leave approval processes from the Navy, but in the AF, you can't even submit your leave into the system for formal approval until 2 weeks prior.

OP, I would suggest getting a letter from your guy's boss - it may help. I had a cruise booked a few years ago - and had insurance - when I got a short-notice deployment to Iraq. My insurance wouldn't pay - claimed 'act of war' (jerks) - but all others involved (airline and cruiseline - American Airlines and Carnival) refunded my non-refundable money with a 3-way call to my commander as proof. I didn't expect it and was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully things work out for you guys and they let you at least shift your trip by a bit.

His leave was approved, then he found out about the exam. I asked him again today if there was any make up or anything he could and he said there wasn't. So I'm giving all the info I was told...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Cruise Critic Forum App

I am sure you are faithfully repeating what you were told. And whether he forgot or could have known of the exam sooner is of little consequence now. Make the best of it.

I bet you will carefully read and buy "cancel for any reason" or at least "cancel for work reasons" travel insurance from now on.

His leave was approved, then he found out about the exam. I asked him again today if there was any make up or anything he could and he said there wasn't. So I'm giving all the info I was told...

Yea, he would only get a make up date for a Navy advancement exam in the event of something like illness or if operational requirements precluded him being able to participate on the scheduled day.

Hope you enjoy your cruise however it may turn out. Make the best of it!! :D

As a retired Navy Chief I will tell you that your boyfriend who has an approved leave chit is authorized to take a make up exam at a later date. If anyone is telling him different they're mis-informed. Tell him to talk to his Chief and if that doesn't work to take it to the CMC. There's a reason they call it the Chain of Command.

As a retired Navy Chief I will tell you that your boyfriend who has an approved leave chit is authorized to take a make up exam at a later date. If anyone is telling him different they're mis-informed. Tell him to talk to his Chief and if that doesn't work to take it to the CMC. There's a reason they call it the Chain of Command.
You're not going to get any better advice than that.:D

Charlie

Yeah, you'd think. He told me about a time his buddy was across the country and had to come back for the exam.

My DH works for the US Postal Service and they have required him to work after approving leave several times....and people wonder why workers go "postal."

We learned to buy insurance for pricey trips...

Thanks. Will do.

But soon, I think I will have to start preparing for the fact he might not be able to go and start looking for a replacement and try and actually enjoy this vacation than become so stressed because of it.

Thanks. Will do.

But soon, I think I will have to start preparing for the fact he might not be able to go and start looking for a replacement and try and actually enjoy this vacation than become so stressed because of it.

I'll also tell you that his command knew exactly when the advancement exams were scheduled when he submitted his leave chit.

The best advice!

Though your advice may be correct... keep in mind that things do change. The Military, like all government types just LOVE to put new rules into place anytime one single incident happens. As a retired Chief, I am pretty sure you saw lots of CHANGES in policies during your years aboard.

or he did not notice the notice.

If he is enlisted and is stateside this is regular testing.

To OP

How long has he been in? Is he going from a striker to a rated sailor or is this his chiefs exam

To OP

How long has he been in? Is he going from a striker to a rated sailor or is this his chiefs exam

2.5 years. ET2 exam not chiefs.

To OP

Yep, and as Colin pointed out it's the second Thursday of September (March, too, unless my memory is really bad). I am surprised no one in his chain of command pointed this out to him when he submitted his leave request. (And I also believe that they do have procedures in place for these types of instances so would echo Batman's advice.)

You bring up an interesting point. It is the same with the Air Force. When my SIL has leave it's usually about 2 weeks before the leave if he is certain that he has the "green light" from his CO. Of course, if all h*ll broke out his leave could be cancelled at the last minute.

Perhaps it's just a Friday wind-up.

In an earlier post today OP writes "I posted a plea on NCL's Facebook page, and they responded by telling me to e-mail their social media department and they will help me. Haven't heard anything yet..."

I went Facebook and didn't see anything about this, but it could have been removed.

It was there, I saw it.

It was there, I saw it.

Yesterday I commented on my post a saying I didn't get a response. They ended up calling me saying the only small chance I had was getting my TAs supervisor to call.

Yep, and as Colin pointed out it's the second Thursday of September (March, too, unless my memory is really bad). I am surprised no one in his chain of command pointed this out to him when he submitted his leave request. (And I also believe that they do have procedures in place for these types of instances so would echo Batman's advice.)

I told my boyfriend about the chatter going on in this post and about the exam. Apparently Lakehurst Naval Base isn't on top of things.

I told my boyfriend about the chatter going on in this post and about the exam. Apparently Lakehurst Naval Base isn't on top of things.

You have been given some excellent information from some very knowledgeable Navy veterans here on this thread. I am a retired Navy reservist and a former commanding officer. The chain of command and advancement exams are concepts that are well-known and largely standardized throughout the Navy. The advancement exam dates are known well in advance. My personal experience was that if any of our sailors were to be away from the command during a scheduled examination date, we planned for it and allowed him/her to test on the alternate date. If the sailor had an unavoidable conflict, s/he would let us know via the chain of command. That's just the way it has always worked.

It doesn't sound as though it's going to work out for your boyfriend to go with you, so unless you are able to get a sizeable refund (or bump the date by a week), I would strongly encourage you to take a deep breath and go and have a great time. Try to find someone to go with you if that's important to you (hey, the cabin's already paid for), but even if you can't find someone at this late date, GO ANYWAY! Touch base with your roll call (if it's active); and check out the events on board the ship for the solo travelers.

You'll have a great time!

You have been given some excellent information from some very knowledgeable Navy veterans here on this thread. I am a retired Navy reservist and a former commanding officer. The chain of command and advancement exams are concepts that are well-known and largely standardized throughout the Navy. The advancement exam dates are known well in advance. My personal experience was that if any of our sailors were to be away from the command during a scheduled examination date, we planned for it and allowed him/her to test on the alternate date. If the sailor had an unavoidable conflict, s/he would let us know via the chain of command. That's just the way it has always worked.

It doesn't sound as though it's going to work out for your boyfriend to go with you, so unless you are able to get a sizeable refund (or bump the date by a week), I would strongly encourage you to take a deep breath and go and have a great time. Try to find someone to go with you if that's important to you (hey, the cabin's already paid for), but even if you can't find someone at this late date, GO ANYWAY! Touch base with your roll call (if it's active); and check out the events on board the ship for the solo travelers.

You'll have a great time!

I think we're at that point now. My bf is gonna still take his leave and go home to visit family and I'm gonna try and get my Dad to go with me.

Though your advice may be correct... keep in mind that things do change. The Military, like all government types just LOVE to put new rules into place anytime one single incident happens. As a retired Chief, I am pretty sure you saw lots of CHANGES in policies during your years aboard.

You may be right but I know that by the rules this sailor is authorized to take a make up exam. His exam has already been ordered, so they just hold onto it and he takes the exam when he returns from his cruise.

I think we're at that point now. My bf is gonna still take his leave and go home to visit family and I'm gonna try and get my Dad to go with me.

OK now I'm confused. He's going to take his leave anyway but not go on the cruise with you???

OK now I'm confused. He's going to take his leave anyway but not go on the cruise with you???

From one old Navy Chief to another I think this is the point where everyone just shuts up and lets the cards fall where they may with these young'uns. :D

The rest of us will just meet up at the Chiefs Club. Beers are on me.

From one old Navy Chief to another I think this is the point where everyone just shuts up and lets the cards fall where they may with these young'uns. :D

The rest of us will just meet up at the Chiefs Club. Beers are on me.

On my way now:).

Archived