Champagne in luggage?!

We are traveling from PHL-MIA. I will be using those plastic wine protectors (not the hard ones, almost like a plastic bag) and putting our two bottles of champagne in between our clothes. We are taking the Royal transport bus so can't take a taxi to a store to buy them. Think I am setting myself up for disaster?!

We are traveling from PHL-MIA. I will be using those plastic wine protectors (not the hard ones, almost like a plastic bag) and putting our two bottles of champagne in between our clothes. We are taking the Royal transport bus so can't take a taxi to a store to buy them. Think I am setting myself up for disaster?!

I think you are fine packing them to fly, but if there is any way to take them out of your bags and carry them on the ship, I would do that. If they are in your checked luggage, pretty good chance you will be heading to the naughty room

If it is in your checked luggage, you will go to the naughty room. Policy is that you must carry it on. Concierge telling anyone that its what ever your comfortable with is steering them in the wrong direction. Unless they make exceptions for suite guests. Just don't be surprised if you have to go retrieve your luggage.

I agree that you should remove it from your luggage and put it in your carry on for screening. There is no "official" policy on how to carry it from RCI - only that they do permit 2 x 750 ml. bottles of wine/champagne. People have reported here that in speaking with them on the phone or by e-mail, they do not endorse one method of carrying it over another, but people who have taken wine onboard suggest the carry-on method for the obvious reason stated.

Have fun!

You will certainly have an extra few minutes at the airport after you retrieve your luggage and before you head out on the shuttle to port. I would transfer the alcohol into a carry-on bag.

Just think about the lovely first evening aboard ship - and no waiting in line at the "naughty" room.:)

You will certainly have an extra few minutes at the airport after you retrieve your luggage and before you head out on the shuttle to port. I would transfer the alcohol into a carry-on bag.

Just think about the lovely first evening aboard ship - and no waiting in line at the "naughty" room.:)

Why would the wine be confiscated if you are allowed 2 bottles per adult? Am i missing something here:confused:

Why would the wine be confiscated if you are allowed 2 bottles per adult? Am i missing something here:confused:

Yes, two bottles of wine, but per stateroom, not per adult, is their policy. The problem with putting in reg. luggage is that when the bags are scanned, they only see bottles containing liquid, which could be hard liquor, which is not allowed. I've read threads here on CC warning people to just carry the wine aboard.

Not confiscated, just delayed. You might have to go down to security and show them that the bottles were wine.

My inlaws recently flew from Spain to UK with a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of red wine in their suitcase. Neither bottle survived and clothes were ruined.

Ouch. But another very valid reason for not packing in checked luggage.

Better champagne than red wine if a bottle does break. We like red wine, so we do sometimes risk it. You might force yourself to open a test bottle at home to be sure it does not stain to badly and to assess the quality of the bottle (or any other excuse you think of to drink one);)

We have done it a couple times without breakage, but I always worry. I pad it well and place in big ziplock bags in the middle of the bag. if you are checking more than one bag, select which clothes go in the bag with the liquid. if breakage occurs no reason for all the wet clothes to belong to one person or for your best things to be wet.

With its distinctive metal cage over a fairly distinctive cork, champagne might look substantially different than hard liquor on X-ray. You may or may not be called to the naughty room if you leave it your checked luggage. not the end of the world to go down and claim your bag if it works out that way.

It is not the end of the world to go down and claim your bag if it works out that way.

I agree with this statement. while I would prefer not to go to the naughty room to collect my bag [never had to do this, yet] I would be willing to do this if I could not remove wine from the suitcase.

Depending upon the airport, I might not want to draw attention to myself by opening luggage. [i.e. Barcelona where pickpockets are legendary :eek:]

i wouldn`t put the champagne in the suitcase. it is bubbly and might just pop with the pressure of the plane.

Baggage holds are pressurized just like the passenger cabin. Besides which, you can't put it in your carry on for the flight.

Archived