Private tours in Sydney

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As much as I hate to be negative, I feel I must correct a recommendation that I made earlier. We have just returned from our Canada/New England cruise, and one of the biggest disappointments was the tour we had looked forward to for so long. We had booked Donnie Blackwood for the Cabot Trail tour, and because of many good reviews here about his extensive knowledge of the area and his good tours, we were willing to pay his high rate. When we arrived at the "big fiddle" to meet him, we received a "big surprise" instead. He handed us off to another guide, and when I reminded him that we were supposed to have him as our guide, he simply said "sorry" and turned away to the next group of people (who also thought they had him as their guide, only to be handed off to another guide). What a con man!!

Our guide was a very nice man, who agreed that we should not do the Cabot Trail tour due to rain. Went to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum instead, then back to the ship on roads that the guide had not checked out for construction. We spent a lot of money for one hour at the museum and lots of time at construction sites. We felt cheated!!

That is the problem when guides get popular ...they hire others so they can still make $$

We have has this happen a few time when booking private tours

but the guides we had worked out just fine

A group in our roll call has him booked for our cruise next week. Your comments have made me nervous now!!

I hope all works out for your group. I think the secret is to be aware that this MAY happen and be prepared. Don't let it ruin your cruise or even your day. I think I was in shock till we were all loaded in the new guide's van and were on our way. It never dawned on me to ask the guide if he had been on any of the roads he took us on lately (he hadn't) or if he was aware of any major construction delays (he wasn't).

It may happen that Don Blackwood actually does lead your group. Hope it is a good tour either way.

BON VOYAGE!!!

I would be very upset also. Mr Blackwood should make it know, IN ADVANCE, that if he gets over a certain amount of people looking to do his tour, he may have to used alternate guides.

When you sign up for a specific guide, that is whom you should get, or, at least, be offered a refund.

Pretty unprofessional, if you ask me.

Cheers

Len

Part of the problem with Sydney is when there's a big ship in port there are few tour guides. Do some research in advance and rent a car, or hire a taxi to take you on a scenic coastal drive. There's several good places to see on your own and Cape Bretoner's are VERY friendly. The Cabot Trail is spectacular, but it's really a bit of a long drive to get there.

Here are some alternatives you can reach on your own:

Alexander Graham Bell Museum

Glace Bay Miners Museum (tour down into a mine)

Louiseburg (Historical Site)

Drive around the Bas D'or Lakes

Drive along the Donkin Highway following the coast. (very pretty drive)

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from a tour with Don Blackwood. We had a wonderful day with him. I had booked him almost a year in advance. I verified with him that I would have him personally and he confirmed it. Another CCer on our roll call posted a few months later that she had booked Don. I emailed her to let her know she might want to verify that. She had booked him through another company, not Don himself. When she questioned the company she booked through, they said she would have Don. When she emailed Don, he told her that he was already booked; but she would have one of his other guides. It pays to verify. I did talk with the other CCer and she loved the tour guide with Don's company and couldn't have been happier.

I will say that only doing a small part of the Cabot Trail is not the best thing to do in Sydney. I wish we had been in port long enough to do the whole thing. But with us being there in mid-October, the Fort Louisborg visit wasn't recommended, since most of the reenactors were back to school. With the fall colors the Cabot Trail was pretty; but look at all the options.

You can see lots of photos from our Cabot Trail tour with Don Blackwood in our review on our website www.thepreismans.com.

Archived