clothing (weather) for an October 5th coastal cruise

We live in NH so not sure what the temperatures are like for our upcoming October CA coastal cruise. Do we pack just pants or will it be warm enough to wear shorts? Will we be able to swim in pool on ship in October? Just checking on how to pack. Jackets?

Are you going on the Oct 5 sailing of the Sapphire Princess out of Los Angeles? I am.

Weather.com has historical temperature averages for all cities. For the first week of October:

Los Angeles - Average High - 80 degrees, Average Low - 60 degrees

San Francisco - Average High - 70 degrees, Average Low - 54 degrees

I would bring pants, shorts, and a jacket.

I would pack swim suits. It can still be warm in Southern Ca. Oct is notorious for having some very warm days when the wind pattern shifts and hot air from the desert blows towards the sea. It's called Santa Ana winds. The pool onboard might be cool but you could use the hot tubs.

Have a great cruise!

We come from New England and already needing to click on the heat in morning so wasn't sure if I needed to pack any shorts or sleeveless for Oct 5th Would we still be able to swim in an outdoor pool? pack bathing suits??

We probably wouldn't swim in the pools in October but your cold tolerance is much different than ours.;)

That time in October at worst we will need Jeans and a light jacket.

No one in port will look at you funnny if you are wearing shorts and a tank. They are year-round clothing in SoCal.

For the most part our 60-80 will be a bit cooler than you are used to as we do not have the humidity. With the Santa Anas come very dry conditions. Usually that is when our Fire Season starts.

• 3 weeks later...

Just off a 9/13 coastal cruise. Checked weather forecasts before I left and packed a lot of shorts and tank tops. Did not end up wearing a single tank top! Weather was cooler than normal - with everything from upper 60's to mid-70's (perhaps a bit warmer inland). Keep in mind alot of what you do is along the coast, with strong breezes making it feel cooler. I would strongly recommend the layering approach and make sure you have both shorts and long pants, as well as light jackets or a sweatshirt or two.

I would pack swim suits. It can still be warm in Southern Ca. Oct is notorious for having some very warm days when the wind pattern shifts and hot air from the desert blows towards the sea. It's called Santa Ana winds. The pool onboard might be cool but you could use the hot tubs.

Have a great cruise!

I see in your signature line you are heading for Hawaii...which date and cruise line? We sail away on 10/18/13 on the Star...

Archived