What to do in Whittier/Anchorage at end of cruise?

krisl

Hello!

I am planning for my first Alaskan cruise in June of next year and cannot thank you all enough for the wealth of information you have provided! :)

I would like recommendations on what to do in Whittier/Anchorage after arriving in port. We are thinking of taking the Coral Princess Northbound and will arrive in Whittier around 12:30AM. Our flights out of Anchorage likely won't be until 9-10PM at night. So what is one to do with a full day? Should we take a shuttle to the airport, check our luggage, and then find something to do? I would like to do SOMETHING but am clueless how to logistically do everything on this day. Help! :)

You won’t be able to get off the ship until later that morning, sometime around 7am. As noted, a good option is doing a Prince William Sound day cruise out of Whittier. You would then need to find transportation for the approx. 1.5 hour trip to the airport. The evening train doesn’t get into Anchorage until 9:15pm so that would be out. You will find things to do in the area as well as transportation options here: http://www.anchorage.net/

Another option is a one way car rental. You won’t be able to check your bags that early if you decide to go direct to the airport although they do have baggage storage near the bag claim area. If you do rent a car there is Portage Glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, Girdwood/Alyeska/Tram and the drive along Turnagain Arm is spectacular on a nice day with occasional sightings of sheep in the mountains. There are many pullouts.

Hello!

I am planning for my first Alaskan cruise in June of next year and cannot thank you all enough for the wealth of information you have provided! :)

I would like recommendations on what to do in Whittier/Anchorage after arriving in port. We are thinking of taking the Coral Princess Northbound and will arrive in Whittier around 12:30AM. Our flights out of Anchorage likely won't be until 9-10PM at night. So what is one to do with a full day? Should we take a shuttle to the airport, check our luggage, and then find something to do? I would like to do SOMETHING but am clueless how to logistically do everything on this day. Help! :)

For a summary and review of our itinerary for departure day, see Post #116 of this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1903541

A Prince William Sound boat tour is an excellent tour to consider and depending on your departing flight time- IF you get a late departure, you could that the Alaska RR To Anchorage, then a cab to the airport. BUT you need a 2 hour window at Anchorage airport, so verify your timing.

A one way car rental is also a superb way to make the most of a single day. You can be out the 9am tunnel, then have the day to go where you want, then direct to the airport. Makes the most of your time. Take a look at the Mat Su area, Anchorage, the Arm area, including Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Alaska Wildlife Conservatory, Girdwood, Alyeska etc.

Having plans made in advance is what I recommend. Head to your library and look over some Alaska travel books. Would also be helpful for your cruise ports. :)

THANK YOU ALL! You are all so, so great and informative and quickly responsive and I love CruiseCritic!! :D

For a summary and review of our itinerary for departure day, see Post #116 of this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1903541

I think this is kind of what I am leaning towards. I like the idea of taking a quick bus tour to Anchorage and then getting a car rental there. Seems like a cheaper option then attempting to rent one way from Whittier.

THANK YOU ALL! You are all so, so great and informative and quickly responsive and I love CruiseCritic!! :D

I think this is kind of what I am leaning towards. I like the idea of taking a quick bus tour to Anchorage and then getting a car rental there. Seems like a cheaper option then attempting to rent one way from Whittier.

Take some time and be sure. This isn't the place to worry about "price" in my opinion. As I mention there is plenty to see and do all along the Arm, if of interest.

Match up an "ideal" way to spend your short time in Alaska. :)

• 1 month later...

In 2012 we did the "excursion" that included Portage Glacier and the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/alibear/sets/72157631201294590/page4/ and scroll down to photo "DFD" to begin at this part of the tour. I think we got into the airport around 2:30 that day, ate, and were situated at our gate by perhaps 4:00. If you have any interest in aviation, it's neat to watch from the observation deck in ANC to see "an endless stream" of cargo aircraft, 90% of which are 747s, "stop by" for fuel.

Archived