Snorkeling for Non-Swimmers??

Shyhova

Me and DW want to go on a snorkeling excursion in Freeport next month. Problem is...we are BOTH non-swimmers :eek:. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this a realistic goal for two people who do not swim at all?? Thanks in advance for the feedback CC family.

I am sure you two would be fine. Just make sure they provide life vests, and hope for calm waters. At the very least, you can just float around on your bellies, with your masks and snorkels and still see the fish/reefs. Enjoy!!!! :D

You don't have to be able to swim to snorkel. Snorkeling is basically (semi) controlled floating.

The main thing is to let the guide(s) know, wear life vests (probably required anyway on ship tours), and take it easy. Don't try to walk wearing fins. Don't panic when you first get in the water and don't hyperventilate. Relax and enjoy.

Try it and see. If it is too much for you, the guides will get you back on the boat. There is no requirement that you actually snorkel on snorkel excursions. Sometimes people go just for the ride to watch family members.

If it is a shore snorkel and not a boat snorkel, then forget about the boat part. :)

I am not as confident as the others that this is a good idea - I am not at all sure that it makes sense. It would depend in part on sea conditions - if they were at all rough, this would be a really bad idea. If the sea conditions were very calm, then it may work out OK - but maybe not even then. Do you have reason to believe that you both could be comfortable in the open water (open water meaning not a pool) with inflated vests that would keep you afloat? Do you have any experience with a mask and snorkel? I have been on day sails with a non-swimmer - who manages to get on a mat and then is pulled around by someone - that would probably work, but you may be talking about an excursion with a bunch of people and no one available to keep an eye on each of you individually - what you describe is best done as a one-on-one guide/snorkeller situation. Ideally, this excursion is one about which you could call the tour operator and talk with them about it - if you could do that and get some reassurance then it might be worth trying. If you are talking about an excursion that you have no ability to talk with the operator and get some information, then I would suggest that it is not worth it - unless you want to go along on the excursion without necessarily getting in the water.

Take a beach tour or go to a beach. Take your own goggles and if you want a air tube. Try it in shallow water and see how easy it is. You can even do this at home in a swimming pool. In salt water you will be surprised at how easy you will float.

The first time we snorkeled I used a life jacket and took it off as it was more of a hindrance than it helped. You will naturally float. Being a swimmer has nothing to do with being able to snorkel.

I am not as confident as the others that this is a good idea - I am not at all sure that it makes sense. It would depend in part on sea conditions - if they were at all rough, this would be a really bad idea. If the sea conditions were very calm, then it may work out OK - but maybe not even then. Do you have reason to believe that you both could be comfortable in the open water (open water meaning not a pool) with inflated vests that would keep you afloat? Do you have any experience with a mask and snorkel? I have been on day sails with a non-swimmer - who manages to get on a mat and then is pulled around by someone - that would probably work, but you may be talking about an excursion with a bunch of people and no one available to keep an eye on each of you individually - what you describe is best done as a one-on-one guide/snorkeller situation. Ideally, this excursion is one about which you could call the tour operator and talk with them about it - if you could do that and get some reassurance then it might be worth trying. If you are talking about an excursion that you have no ability to talk with the operator and get some information, then I would suggest that it is not worth it - unless you want to go along on the excursion without necessarily getting in the water.

You make great points, and also things I have concerns about as well. I have done a ton of research but I definitely share your same concerns. When I contacted the operator they said that they have non- swimmers all the time, and that the reef ranges from 2-12 ft deep. DW said she wouldnt be disappointed if we went and did not do the snorkeling part, but just enjoyed the private beach they are supposed to take us to. But, we both want to give it a try if it is possible. Thanks for the feedback!

You make great points, and also things I have concerns about as well. I have done a ton of research but I definitely share your same concerns. When I contacted the operator they said that they have non- swimmers all the time, and that the reef ranges from 2-12 ft deep. DW said she wouldnt be disappointed if we went and did not do the snorkeling part, but just enjoyed the private beach they are supposed to take us to. But, we both want to give it a try if it is possible. Thanks for the feedback!

Then do it. I have snorkeled with non-swimmers. The biggest obstacle is you.

What I encounter the most is some will start to panic as soon as they get in the water. Focus on relaxing and getting comfortable before you try to move or do anything else. The guides will be keeping an eye on you.

You might just find a new passion.

Me and DW want to go on a snorkeling excursion in Freeport next month. Problem is...we are BOTH non-swimmers :eek:. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this a realistic goal for two people who do not swim at all?? Thanks in advance for the feedback CC family.

There is lots of great advise here. The question is, are you a "non swimmer" or someone who can't swim. I was terrified of water and did not swim, however if I was tossed into the water, i could dog paddle to save my life. It took me a very long time to get over my fears, but my determination to snorkel won. If the water is not clear, I still get very scared and you will never ever find me in a dark lake. (yes bad childhood memories)

So if you CAN paddle around, yes go for it, if you honestly cannot swim to save your life, probably don't do it. Go to your local Y and take some swim lessons, it's never too late to learn. :)

Many tour operators (most?) will have regular life jackets you can use (they have to have real life jackets). Many will also have noodles or other devices you can use. It is good to be cautious, but no reason to be alarmed.

And if you want out of the water at any time, they will get you out of the water. It isn't like you will be alone.

as a professional "life guard" for over 40 years all I have to say is anyone who says "I can not swim" and then gets in water deeper then their ankles must accept the fact that if they drown it is their own fault.

DO NOT depend on any form of flotation device .... keeping a non swimmer afloat to snorkel is NOT what they were designed for.

DO NOT depend on the crew of the excursion .... half the time they will be watching the girl in the tiny bikini (I WAS THAT GUY)

I've pulled dozens of people like you out of the water ... when it was my job .... AND when it was someone else' job but I happened to be closer.

You have been advised ... can't swim + 12 feet of water = very very bad possibilities.

I'm HARSH on this point, but I've also pulled out WAY TOO MANY VICTIMS who had in their hands, a way to avoid the situation.

{btw I see "we are both non-swimmers" ... if you get into panic mode who is the FIRST person you are going to reach for? AKA TWO victims}

as a professional "life guard" for over 40 years all I have to say is anyone who says "I can not swim" and then gets in water deeper then their ankles must accept the fact that if they drown it is their own fault.

DO NOT depend on any form of flotation device .... keeping a non swimmer afloat to snorkel is NOT what they were designed for.

DO NOT depend on the crew of the excursion .... half the time they will be watching the girl in the tiny bikini (I WAS THAT GUY)

I've pulled dozens of people like you out of the water ... when it was my job .... AND when it was someone else' job but I happened to be closer.

You have been advised ... can't swim + 12 feet of water = very very bad possibilities.

I'm HARSH on this point, but I've also pulled out WAY TOO MANY VICTIMS who had in their hands, a way to avoid the situation.

{btw I see "we are both non-swimmers" ... if you get into panic mode who is the FIRST person you are going to reach for? AKA TWO victims}

Excellent Advice !!!!

As ALWAYS my personal and professional opinion is that people who can not swim have no business in water over knee deep.Yes, the ocean is beautiful but also very unforgiving.

Excellent Advice !!!!

As ALWAYS my personal and professional opinion is that people who can not swim have no business in water over knee deep.Yes, the ocean is beautiful but also very unforgiving.

I DEFINITELY appreciate the advice. I am not naive and I also have/had the same reservations. My whole issue from the beginning was that I dont want any one to ultimately be responsible for MY safety. Thanks!

Not only do you put yourself in danger, but possibly others too. It's sort of like being on the road with inexperienced drivers. I was on a snorkeling excursion in Belize having a great time, making sure to keep a safe distance from other snorkelers so as not to get tangled up. I was floating peacefully until I got walloped in the head by someone's foot. Sorry, she said. First time snorkeling.

Another time, I was waiting to get back onto the excursion boat when for some reason another snorkeler behind me panicked. She grabbed me by the shoulders to hold herself above water and when I didn't have enough buoyancy she kept pushing me further and further under water. At the time I still had my mask on but the snorkel was dangling. Luckily I didn't panic and gulp water, and I got away from her by kicking a little deeper. When I surfaced, one of the guides was helping her on board. She didn't even buy me a beer.

On the road, there's only a few bad drivers compared to the experienced ones. On these excursions, there can be lots of first time snorkelers running into each other. The way to protect yourself is by swimming well.

She grabbed me by the shoulders to hold herself above water and when I didn't have enough buoyancy she kept pushing me further and further under water.

the CLASSIC life guard situation they/we train for ... the victim grabs us and tries to make US the victim!!!!

As post mentions .... proper response is to go under water ... where the victim does NOT want 2B

Archived