Bought Adobe Lightroom - Now What?

bernardch

Although I'm mainly a lurker at CC, let me start by saying 'thank you' to the regular contributors here on the photo forum. I hope someday to have 1% of your knowledge of photography.

Recently Adobe's Lightroom software has come up several times especially in the recent RAW vs. jpeg discussion. Last week B&H sent me a coupon to purchase Lightroom 5 for $99. So I pulled the trigger.

Now what? What's the best way to learn to use this beast? Trial and error? Any good texts or DVD based training (Lightroom for Dummies?)? Are the tutorial videos on the Adobe website any good? Starting it up after installation, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I've got a previous, but recent version of Elements, but have always struggled with trying to use it. I've used Picasa for some simple editing (cropping, basic color correction, red eye removal, etc. - simple things) but having grown up shooting film I'm stuck in the film mentality of 'the picture/exposure is what it is,' and don't always consider post processing options.

As far as my skills, I understand the basics of photography - composition, exposure, ISO, aperture, DoF, filter use, etc. My equipment consists of a Canon T4i with the larger STM kit lens, a 50mm prime, and 18-270 superzoom.

Looking for any suggestions to get the most out of Lightroom. I know it's a powerful program, how do I get the best benefit from it.

Chuck

I have been a heavy user of Lightroom, and believe that is a great piece of software.

I would recommend a one-day training session put on my Kelby Training. Details here. The training is usually done by Matt Kloskowski.

The Kelby Training Kloskowki team also has this useful web site. Lightroom Killer Tips.

I would also check out the courses at Kelby Training and Lynda.com. They are pricey, but a subscription gives you access to all of the on-line courses.

Have fun learning.

Larry

Take a photo that is already good and click on the Develop tab. Go through each of the sliders and see what they do. Use the Reset button at the bottom to take you back to zero when done or when you adjust too far and don't want to return all the adjustments to zero manually.

Do the same with a shot that is too dark, too light, foo noisy, etc.

Try out all the presets on the left...

In short, play with it and get a feel for what the tools can do. Later when you see a problem photo, you will have a better idea of what needs to be done. The suggestions for YouTube tutorials are spot on for specific issues or effects but I will mildly disagree with attending a basic class. They are most often just sessions where an instructor gives you a tour of the menu which you can already see on your own screen and guides you through playing with the sliders very much as I described above. Your choice.

Take you time and get used to it. You won't be disappointed...but your usual photo editing software might get lonely!

Dave

No need to pay for a course in my view. There is a host of free material on Youtube. I got Lightroom a couple of months ago and have learned an immense amount by watching the Adobe TV stuff and in particular the great tutorials by Anthony Morganti.

Doug

If you prefer books like me (I can't stand youtube)...try "The adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 book" by Martin Evening. It is about 700 pages and will tell you everything you need/want to know about LR5. Lots of good pics and examples. I picked mine up at barnes and noble. It is pricey, about $60 but it is just about the LR5 bible.

A number of years ago, someone sent me to http://www.lynda.com where I found over a thousand video courses. Each course is divided into short (3-5 minute segment so you can do a few segments at a time at a sitting. Their courses started with graphics years ago but now include website design software, all Microsoft software, business training, photography, and Lightroom.

Most courses cover every button, keyboard shortcut, and technique through practical projects.

Cost is $25/month for all of the courses you can take. Courses can complete certificates if you need educational units.

With all the hoo-haw about Adobe going to the subscription model, apparently they heard the hue & cry because now they are coming out with a Photoshop Photography program for only $10 per month which includes Lightroom and PS:

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-program/

Coming when Lightroom 5.2 is released in a couple weeks.

I am currently paying $19 for Photoshop CC, I'd say this is a good deal.

Archived