Getting worries reading this websight. 1st cruise in a few weeks

GABooBoo

I can be a kind of snobby traveler and would have stopped cruising if the things mentioned by op happened routinely. We have only met great crew, friendly passengers and had great experiences. We also cruise at times when there are fewer kids aboard and on longer sailings so that could be part of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I would not say this is completely unfounded. I have been on two 3 day weekend cruises with Carnival and I will never do that again. Just one big drunk party. Begin the Flames!

No flames. If it was a 3 nighter, I hear things can get a little rowdier as some try to cram whatever they can into a short time. It also depends on where you were at the time. I go on shorter cruises and during the week. I've never witnessed anything rowdy. Of course, it depends on an individual's perception of rowdy.

Hi:

We are taking our 1st cruise ever in a few weeks (Carnival Imagination to the Western Caribbean). This is our first real vacation of our entire life and I'm getting very worried reading this websight. Brawls, alcohol smuggling, people with warrants for their arrest, badly behaved adults, out of control children, diapers being changed in the restarant. This is supposed to be a trip of a lifetime We been saving for a long time for this trip. I'm getting ready to cry.

For every one story of bizarre behavior there are hundreds upon hundreds of threads about people just having a good time.

Several years ago we did witness a dust up between two drunks on Royal Caribbean (!) but over the years I have seen far more craziness on land -- at football games, in bars, etc.

Take a deep breath and ignore the negative -- you will have a wonderful vacation! :)

Unless you are sailing during specific periods, e.g. spring break, or on cruises specifically targeted to certain groups, the folks you come across should be a microcosm that is no worse or better than our society as a whole.

Your vacation will be what you make of it. Avoid any drama that you dont want to be involved in just as you would at home. We dont all come here and book cruises and talk about our love for cruising because it is an uncivilized thing to do. We actually do like it and want other people to have the wonderful experiences that we have all enjoyed. Problems are very rare and very overstated on this sight when they happen. Personally I have never seen a fight or almost any of the other unpleasant things you mentioned. Go have fun you earned it!

Hi:

We are taking our 1st cruise ever in a few weeks (Carnival Imagination to the Western Caribbean). This is our first real vacation of our entire life and I'm getting very worried reading this websight. Brawls, alcohol smuggling, people with warrants for their arrest, badly behaved adults, out of control children, diapers being changed in the restarant. This is supposed to be a trip of a lifetime We been saving for a long time for this trip. I'm getting ready to cry.

I am a Carnival platnium cruiser. I have never seen the first single brawl or anything like this. Now, with that being said, I have not been out totally wasted at 2:00 a.m. but I have been to the night club drinking and dancing and have never witnessed anything getting out of control. You will have a great time!!! Do not stress over any of this. Just go with the flow and you will have a GREAT time!!

Hi:

I was the same as you when I first started reading CC. Then I soon realized that CC is just like those reality TV shows - i.e. very little to do with reality. ;)

As everyone before me has already said some of these things do happen on some cruises but they are few and far between! I was nervous about my first cruise just with wondering all the "what if's" but I had the best time ever on any vacation! I became hooked and will cruise the rest of my life! Go with an open mind and expect to have fun, don't let little things bother you and I can almost guarantee you will become addicted to cruising like everyone I've ever met on a ship! My 4th cruise is coming up soon (yay) and I have never encountered any of the things you are concerned about ~ I have also met people on ships that have become great friends! So please don't worry, be anxious or cry...you will have a simply marvelous time!! :)

Never witnessed any of the above on any of our cruises, only nice people, great food and service and fun , and total relaxation.

I agree with you. We have been cruising for years and never once seen any of the things the OP stated but then again we only sail on longer cruises usually. Have never sailed a 3 or 4 day cruise but still do not think it would be that drastic....or is it?

Hi:

I'm glad that I didn't find this board until just before my first cruise and didn't pay mind to bad posts. I had no negatives planted in my mind and became addicted with that one. We've been on 5 now and are looking forward to #6 and many more. We have never seen most of the bad things that have been posted here. I hope you go looking for a wonderful time.

Hi:

I have been on several cruises and not witnessed this. Remember, you are on vacation! Any day on vacation is better than a day at work!!:)

Debbie

I was the same as you when I first started reading CC.

Then I soon realized that CC is just like those reality TV shows

- i.e. very little to do with reality. ;)

You sure got that right!

Go enjoy your cruise

and please come back with thoughtful analysis

of what you thought about cruising Before(CC-influenced)

and After(post-cruise and reality check).

We'd be interested to hear your opinions.

I'm glad that I didn't find this board until just before my first cruise and didn't pay mind to bad posts.

I had no negatives planted in my mind and became addicted with that one.

We've been on 5 now and are looking forward to #6 and many more.

We have never seen most of the bad things that have been posted here.

I hope you go looking for a wonderful time.

Same here, except I may have been slightly luckier than you(the first bit)

I'm going to parallel your thoughts almost word for word.

I'm glad that I didn't find this board until just AFTER my first cruise

and didn't pay mind to bad posts!

I had no negatives planted in my mind and became addicted with that first one!

We've been on TEN CRUISES now and are looking forward to #11 and many more.

We have never seen most of the bad things that have been posted here.

I hope you go looking for a wonderful time -you will find it.

Hi:

Don't worry, My husband and I went on the Imagination to the western caribbean for our first cruise also. Sunday we leave on our 10th cruise, all on Carnival. I have never seen most of what you are worried about. The cruise will be what you make it. Make it a trip of a lifetime but don't make it your only one.

Hi:

Consider the numbers. Only about 2, maybe 3 percent of travelers use this site. Now, consider the amount of sailings. Even if everything that is said was true, it probably won't affect your cruise. I have witnessed bad arguments but that was after giving my kids fair warning. Yes I have smuggled alcohol but purchase a bit too. I like to enjoy a drink on the balcony. I haven't had any warrants, not to say I haven't done anything jail worthy. These ships are big enough to find a spot away from kids and adults behaving badly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

You will be fine! That itinerary and ship was my first cruise, and though I am still a land lover, I have my "sea legs" and am looking forward to my upcoming cruise- 2x as long this time around! Like anything else, there are good experiences and bad experiences. I did not see any of the things you described (well, there was a big fun party at Fat Tuesday but everyone was having a good time, no fights etc.). Relax, you will have a great time. the Imagination is a great introductory ship as it is small and welcoming. Both Key West and Cozumel are great ports- and you can walk right off the ship- no tenders! ENJOY!

I have been on 17 cruises and I have seen all the behavior you are concerned with, Although none of it directly impacted me or my vacation Unless I got sucked in. Keep an open mind and open eyes. This is a super safe vacation... compared with anything else!!

Hi:

Brawls, alcohol smuggling, people with warrants for their arrest, badly behaved adults, out of control children, diapers being changed in the restarant.

Lmao @ diapers changing in the restaurant.. Bawahahaha.

I've only been on carnival but I would say none of these things are exclusive to carnival, just search the boards of the other two major lines. Not saying your cruise will be perfect, but my money is on you will have a great time.

It is September. You should be fine. But if you have been reading these boards you should know

!. If possible.....don't sail in the summer

2. Don't sail out of Miami if possible At least not on short trips.

3. The longer the cruise...the more the demographics are less frolicsome.

My Nephew and his wife..two children sailed on the Imagination out of Miami. They won't set foot on a ship now.

But...In SEPTEMBER..............kiddies are back in school....college kids have sobered up and gone back to college.

You should be OK.

I agree with what many others have said; there is almost no chance you are going to see any of the things you are worried about. I have been on 3 prior Carnival cruises, 2 in the past 2 years. The worst thing that ever happened to me was getting on an elevator with a toddler on deck 0 who marched up to the elevator buttons and pushed every floor. I am sure you will have a great time and wonder why you worried so much before leaving. Have a wonderful trip!

We have been on a total of 28 cruises and can tell you that the complainers are not in the majority. When people don't like something, they are much more vocal and louder than those who are happy.

Go with a good attitude and you will be just fine. A cruise is an amazing experience.

Went on my first cruise in 2008, didn't really want to go, but sister-in-law and her husband had just discovered cruising, and wanted us to try it. It was a four day out of Galveston on the Ecstasy. I had so much fun! I tried to do everything on the ship - take my word, don't try that! We go on our 9th cruise - all on Carnival - in February. I didn't find Cruise Critic until after my second cruise so didn't have the bad comments to influence me. And I've found more good info than bad on this site! I've never seen any of the things you mentioned. If you just relax, you'll enjoy your cruise, but you'll probably be addicted! As soon as we got home from our first one, we booked another one for 2 months later. We try to get in at least two cruises a year. And I've seen more drunkenness at family get-togethers!

You'll find that most people who slam Carnival have never sailed Carnival!

And I'm 64 and pretty conservative!

Archived